Is this what I'm looking for?? Klipsch or? - AVS Forum
Speakers > Is this what I'm looking for?? Klipsch or?
Randall.White's Avatar Randall.White 01:24 AM 06-25-2012
I have been looking for new speakers to replace my current setup. I think I want to go to horn tweeters but have never heard them and there isn't a store close to me that sells them. I've been looking at Klipsch F-30 synergy line and obviously get the matching speakers to complete the surround sound system. Also was looking at the BIC PL-89 but I can't seem to find any reviews comparing the two. Probably because the Klipsch is about $1,000 more.

Here is what I currently have Polk Monitor 70's, Polk CS2, and 4 more monitor speakers to complete my 7.1. I don't know how to describe it, I guess I want more "POP" and excitement. These speakers don't really do it for me. They sound clear and are good for music, thats why I am moving them to my game room.

These new speakers will only be for movies, no music.

I bought my subwoofer because of what I read on here about being the best bang for your buck. BIC F12. It is very good for the money. As of right now I found the F-30 package comes with a free BIC PL-200. My reciever is a Onkyo 7.2. Planning on running both subs with whatever setup I get.

Thank you for any help. If I am looking at the wrong speakers to give me what I'm looking for, please suggest speakers/setups you'd go with. I've been reading for months and think I'm starting to go cross eyed. I sold My RZR S and got a little bit of cash to put into the house. The lady seems to think this is a good way of spending it, so I'm jumping at the chance!!

flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 07:06 AM 06-25-2012
I have heard the Klipsch in store and I own the Acoustechs. I would say for every aspect Acoustech hands down over Klipsch Icon or Synergy series speakers. I have the PL89s with a PL28 and 4 PL66 surrounds, and dual Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Pluses. The Acoustechs really shine for movies they sound great for the price. Voices are crisp clear and loud.

Here is a review from the older Acoustechs which have been improved apon so they are even better.
http://audaud.com/2004/03/component-review-part-1-of-4/
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 07:26 AM 06-25-2012
Klipsch would be a good choice for you. The RF-82 which are roughly the same size as the BIC PL-89, are a lot heavier built. The PL-89's are listed as 35lbs each and the RF-82's are listed as 61lbs each.
psgcdn's Avatar psgcdn 09:33 AM 06-25-2012
redface.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Here is a review from the older Acoustechs which have been improved apon so they are even better.
http://audaud.com/2004/03/component-review-part-1-of-4/
Not a very credible review...
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 09:37 AM 06-25-2012
^^^Agreed. But the OP has stated that even the Synergy and Icon series speakers are probably over his budget. The Reference series is a good speaker but very expensive! The negative for me for the Reference series is that they are rear ported and expensive. A pair of RF-82 IIs costs more than a 7 speaker Acoustech set.
Randall.White's Avatar Randall.White 04:00 PM 06-25-2012
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I would like to stay away from rear port if at all possible. I have puppies and don't want to have somewhere else where they could run behind etc...

So as far as Synergy line goes, they aren't good for the money? I read some reviews and they don't like the overall look. I am actually a fan of them, I think they look good. I know Klipsch is a well known name and have a good reputation & warranty for the most part. I'm willing to look at other speakers. I contacted a "home theater" store thats about an hour and a half a way. They carry the line above the Synergy but told me to look into Paradigm Monitor 9 Towers with matching center and surrounds.

Thanks again for all the input/advice.
Randall.White's Avatar Randall.White 04:04 PM 06-25-2012
As far as money goes, I don't really have a set budget but don't want to spend a fortune on them either. I know, I know it's hard to find quality at a good price. I don't see a problem spending 2,000 ish for towers, center and surrounds (2 or 4). I like running the 7.1 and plan to keep it. Like I said before, if there is a better speaker with a solid warranty. I'll spend the extra $$$$ it all just depends on the overall quality/warranty.


Thank you again.
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 06:17 PM 06-25-2012
If you will be using bookshelves for surrounds and demoing speakers is a problem, you could narrow it down to two setups and order just the surrounds. Then return one pair. A little in home demo is the best way to get a feel for the sonic character of the speaker set you will buying.

Have you considered buying speakers designed strictly for home theater? Chase Home Theater Pro and Sho monitors were designed specifically for HT usage. Lot of happy owners. Here's one thread.
Randall.White's Avatar Randall.White 09:22 PM 06-25-2012
^^^ Never thought about that. I order quite a bit from Amazon, maybe I'll look on there for some speakers.

Why is there so many choices!! I think I get it narrowed down to a select few and then all these others pop up. Yet another late night of reading.
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 06:47 AM 06-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

Thanks for the replies everyone.
I would like to stay away from rear port if at all possible. I have puppies and don't want to have somewhere else where they could run behind etc...
So as far as Synergy line goes, they aren't good for the money? I read some reviews and they don't like the overall look. I am actually a fan of them, I think they look good. I know Klipsch is a well known name and have a good reputation & warranty for the most part. I'm willing to look at other speakers. I contacted a "home theater" store thats about an hour and a half a way. They carry the line above the Synergy but told me to look into Paradigm Monitor 9 Towers with matching center and surrounds.
Thanks again for all the input/advice.

Klipsch is a good brand I just don't prefer the sound of the Synergy or Icon lines. They also have small sealed center speakers which makes them lacking in my opinion.

Is BIC Acoustech the best thing out there absolutely not, BUT I do believe they are very hard to beat for their price for HT usage. They also have a nice apperance which is a WAF thing.

As mentioned by cel CHT Pro or Sho speakers would be excellent and also Elemental Designs new [C]inema line. There are many good speakers out there. The best way is to listen in your home before you make a final choice or just go with what seems to be a great deal for the price.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5 07:04 AM 06-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

^^^Agreed. But the OP has stated that even the Synergy and Icon series speakers are probably over his budget. The Reference series is a good speaker but very expensive! The negative for me for the Reference series is that they are rear ported and expensive. A pair of RF-82 IIs costs more than a 7 speaker Acoustech set.

You are pricing your speakers from the wrong place. smile.gif
cel4145's Avatar cel4145 08:06 AM 06-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall.White View Post

^^^ Never thought about that. I order quite a bit from Amazon, maybe I'll look on there for some speakers.

Yep. To ship back a pair of bookshelves might run you about $50, depending on the size. Seems worth the demo cost of one pair given your budget. Plus, it's fun to demo more than one pair of speakers smile.gif

Check Vanns, too. They do except returns, given excellent customer service, and offer free shipping to you on most products. You can actually buy from them through Amazon, but better to deal with them directly. Sometimes they'll give you a break on a multiple speaker purchase should you end up going with them.

Also, I would hold off on the sub until you can afford to look at the 12" subs from HSU, SVS, and Outlaw Audio. A tremendous difference between what they offer and the BIC subs series, and the PL-200 is only a small incremental upgrade over the F12. Research and ask questions on the AVS subwoofer forum to learn more.
KidHorn's Avatar KidHorn 12:05 PM 06-26-2012
I have a synergy setup. The best thing about it is the speakers are small. It sounds OK, but I think you can do better. The rears are good for rears, but the fronts and center sound kind of nasal to me.
Randall.White's Avatar Randall.White 05:23 PM 06-27-2012
I think I'm going Saturday to listen to some different speakers. The place I am going to is trying to push Paradigm speakers on me, well thats how it feels. They sell both Klipsch and Paradigm along with alot of other quality speakers. The tower speakers are the same price but it just seems weird that they are telling me to look at these instead of them. What do you guys think about that? The Paradigm model they are suggesting is Monitor 9 towers.

Thoughts on this? Thanks again everyone for your help.
metalguy's Avatar metalguy 11:17 PM 02-12-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

You are pricing your speakers from the wrong place. smile.gif
http://shop.avscience.com/Klipsch-RF-82-II-Floorstanding-Speaker-Black_p_395.html I dont think so. You have the price listed as it would be very impractical to buy the 82 over a 7 piece system from bic for a grand
isaac415's Avatar isaac415 02:31 AM 06-11-2014

Hey flickhtguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post


Klipsch is a good brand I just don't prefer the sound of the Synergy or Icon lines. They also have small sealed center speakers which makes them lacking in my opinion.

Is BIC Acoustech the best thing out there absolutely not, BUT I do believe they are very hard to beat for their price for HT usage. They also have a nice apperance which is a WAF thing.

As mentioned by cel CHT Pro or Sho speakers would be excellent and also Elemental Designs new [C]inema line. There are many good speakers out there. The best way is to listen in your home before you make a final choice or just go with what seems to be a great deal for the price.

 

I am currently looking at buying speakers and face a similar question. I already knew the klipsch were inferior so i am no longer looking at them. 

Anyway, I have found a seller selling your acoustech set up for 400 total. This seems like a steal but i am hesitant because id love for it to include a subwoofer and a receiver and it doesnt. Do you think i can do any better for the money if i wait or should i go for it? 

 

Another option i am seriously considering:  Athena 5.1 system including s1/p1 speakers and p1 surrounds with stands and the matching center. They apparently cost over 2500 new so they look like maybe a even better value deal but i have a feeling the acoustech will sound better. 

 

Other deals i have found: klipsch rf3 with ksw 10 sub for 400 obo, psb t5 325 obo, polk rti 8 165$, 

 

id love to know your thoughts. Thanks!


Up
Mobile  Desktop