Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Guys,

It's been some time since I've kicked around the forums. 3 kids has put the old AV hobby on financial "ice," as it were. With that said, my gear is getting a bit older. Here's the rub: I have an EPson projector that is about 3 years old, and a 100" Elite drop-down screen. I would lke to replace the projector with a 3D projector, and maybe get a better screen.

I have Paradigm Studio 100's, circa 2001 or so. I have the 350 ADP as surrounds, and Studio 20's as rear surround (6 speakers). This was from my old house, where the room was bigger, and I had a pre-amp/amp setup. And no kids!

Now, I have Denon AVR, and a smaller room. The speakers require some juice/volume ot "hit their sweet spot". Furthermore, my 100" screen is electric and drops down in front of a plasma TV I wall mounted.

So my desire is two-fold:

1) Smaller, more efficent speakers with clarity at lower volume levels

2) I want to get a bigger/better screen, BUT, the large CC300 center channel speaker is TOO BIG to allow the extra few inches. I have it fit in perfectly. So, a smaller center channel that could be on its edge would be great.

Please see attached pictures. Hopefully that shows the challenge. The surrounds are dipoles ont he side walls, and the rears are on shelves in the back. That is also pictured, but the door is now a solid wood pocket door, and the walls have sound insulation inside now. Also, the pictures are older, there was a bit of a hodgepodge of furniture/fixtures that have since been nicely streamlined.

Any feedback to get me started would be great. I'm looking for 6 efficient speakers (brands with dipoles for sides available), smaller foot print everywhere. I do not need a subwoofer, the Hsu sub fits perfectly in the space, and works fine (see comments about volume- I turn it down much of the time as it is!).

Thanks,

Fred

IMG_0042.jpg 24k .jpg file
IMG_0040.jpg 28k .jpg file
Swinging door and vent.jpg 56k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0042.jpg (23.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0040.jpg (28.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Swinging door and vent.jpg (56.4 KB, 14 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Honestly, I would keep all the speakers... they are fine!
I would swap the screen for a bigger acoustically transparent screen that could drop in front of the center speaker. You could drop it lower to be closer to eye level. The money saved on speakers goes partly toward the more expensive screen.

post #3 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you look at the Gallo Acoustics CL-3 speakers, which are 31" -tall floorstanding speakers that play with the power of speakers more than twice as large and have the most incredible definition of any speaker I have heard for under $4000. I have had them for 2 months now, and they are wonderful for music and have the most incredible clarity for movies and voices; no more hard-to-understand soundtracks with these!

They are an incredible bargain at $1595, and they are offered with a 60-day free trial period (free shipping both ways). I considered buying KEF, Paradigm, PSB, and Monitor Audio speakers costing up to $4000, and these ARE better than all of them!

They have the unique advantage of using NO crossover network; they use ultra-fast carbon-fiber drivers from 36 Hz to 3000 Hz, and a unique wide-dispersion tweeter that rolls off naturally below 3000 Hz.

The bass and power they have seem to defy the laws of physics; a speaker this size can't do that!...lol. Their output is equal to the normal speaker 3 times their size.

Oh; check out the current issue of The Absolute Sound magazine for an in-depth review of them.
post #4 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Honestly, I would keep all the speakers... they are fine!
I would swap the screen for a bigger acoustically transparent screen that could drop in front of the center speaker. You could drop it lower to be closer to eye level. The money saved on speakers goes partly toward the more expensive screen.

This is good advice. I have a 125" AT screen and love it. It allows for ideal speaker placement and would allow you to keep your current speakers, unless you want something different.

What is your budget, and are the speakers strictly for home theater?
post #5 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you look at the Gallo Acoustics CL-3 speakers, which are 31" -tall floorstanding speakers that play with the power of speakers more than twice as large
The bass and power they have seem to defy the laws of physics; a speaker this size can't do that!...lol. Their output is equal to the normal speaker 3 times their size.
Specs say 88 dB sensitivity at 2.83V (85 dB at 1Wqtt), so I don't think that is a very accurate description. That's also lower than his current speakers. Sell their clarity if you wish, but credibility is hurt by claims of huge output. These won't play as loud as the Paradigm, if that matters to the OP.

Fred, if the speakers don't sound good unless they play loud, consider treating the room first.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-26-2012, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1295
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyW View Post

1) Smaller, more efficent speakers with clarity at lower volume levels
Smaller speakers are usually less efficient. As for quoted SPL, don't believe any SPL specs that don't have measured SPL charts to back them up.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

HI Guys,

Thanks for the insight. I have treated the room. When we put an addition on the other side of the wall, we treated inside and over the ceiling. If you look at the picture, you may be able to see a couple of the bass traps I built. I am thinking of adding some ASC tube traps, but there really is limited space. I need to update photos!

Interesting call on acousticaly transparent screen. I did not think of that at all! I think I will look into that. It would let me go even bigger than I anticipated with a smaller speaker.

I wonder if anyone makes a drop-down tensioned electric screen, acoustically trasnparent, that is off-the shelf?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

This is good advice. I have a 125" AT screen and love it. It allows for ideal speaker placement and would allow you to keep your current speakers, unless you want something different.
What is your budget, and are the speakers strictly for home theater?

They are strictly for home theater. Budget is flexible, within reason and taking new speakers out of the equation certainly helps. Figure $5000-6000, but that's going to include the new projector ($2500-3000? Maybe?).
post #9 of 9 Old 06-27-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyW View Post

I wonder if anyone makes a drop-down tensioned electric screen, acoustically trasnparent, that is off-the shelf?

I use this:
http://www.elunevision.com/audioweave-tab-tensioned.html

Read my quick review here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/648951/elunevision-screens/900#post_21981554

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page