Mounts for putting Monitor 30's in the corner? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got a pair of Polk Monitor 30s with the idea that I would mount them on a flat wall. Well, I checked the wiring in the wall and currently it's coming out up in the corners of the room, so I'll be mounting them there (I know it's not ideal for SQ, but oh well. It'll look better, I suppose). They have keyhole mounts at the top and weight is about 9 lbs.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations on how to mount them in the corner (facing out at a 45 degree angle). Since the M30s are about 9 lbs, they'd have to be pretty solid. So far, these are the only 2 I've found:

OmniMount Ceiling Mount (prefer not to have them ceiling mounted)

OmniMount 20.0 Wall Speaker Mount

Any other options or recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
The OmniMount 20.0 should work fine. Make sure that it still comes with a keyhole adapter, and screw it into a stud instead of just drywall.

An alternative that I use and like is the Pinpoint AM-40, but it's less discreet and may be overkill for the Monitor 30--I use it because my speakers are a bit heavy for the OmniMount 20.0, but the Monitor 30 should be OK.
blakeyj08 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post

The OmniMount 20.0 should work fine. Make sure that it still comes with a keyhole adapter, and screw it into a stud instead of just drywall.
An alternative that I use and like is the Pinpoint AM-40, but it's less discreet and may be overkill for the Monitor 30--I use it because my speakers are a bit heavy for the OmniMount 20.0, but the Monitor 30 should be OK.

Thanks, Robert. The AM-40s were actually the ones I originally planned on using, but I think I prefer having less mounting hardware visible.

If the OmniMount 20s will work, I think those are the ones I go with. Shouldn't be a problem finding studs in the corner to screw in to.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I suggest that you make wooden shelves just a bit larger than their base, and mount the shelves to the wall with angle brackets under them. Set the speakers on the shelves with rubber RV shelf-liner material under them to keep them from moving.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest that you make wooden shelves just a bit larger than their base, and mount the shelves to the wall with angle brackets under them. Set the speakers on the shelves with rubber RV shelf-liner material under them to keep them from moving.

I'd like to have them angled a little bit downward as well, so I don't think a shelf would work very well, plus as I said I'd like to see as little of the mounting hardware as possible.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
If you want them angled downward, and the hardware hidden, that is easy.

You want to screw a small molding or strip of wood at the front of the shelf so the speaker can't slide off. A short piece of decorative picture-frame molding works well.

The thing to do is buy steel right-angle brackets, bend them in a vise so instead of 90 degrees, the bracket's inside angle is 110 or 120 degrees. Mount the brackets to the wall with strong screws so the brackets will be BEHIND the speaker and under the shelf (hidden) and then attach the shelf to the top of the down-sloping front part of the bracket with dark-finish flush flathead screws and nuts. McFeely's has all sorts of dark-finish screws.

The angle of the shelf will make the bracket hard to see underneath, and the upper part of the bracket will be mounted to the wall behind the speaker. You can also take a very small brush and some enamel paint and paint the metal to match its surroundings if you want to make a nice custom job of it.

I helped a friend of mine do this and it came out VERY nice! He used some 3/4" oak for the shelves and put a dark oil stain on the wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeyj08 View Post

I'd like to have them angled a little bit downward as well, so I don't think a shelf would work very well, plus as I said I'd like to see as little of the mounting hardware as possible.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page