AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

Just an FYI the LCR-350 has 2 - 6.5" woofers. wink.gifsmile.gif

Thanks! I thought so which is why I put a question mark. But the Center 3 should be a marked improvement over the LCR350.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 07-08-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronghorn/az View Post

Thanks! I thought so which is why I put a question mark. But the Center 3 should be a marked improvement over the LCR350.
Jeff

Please be sure and post up your impressions of the C3 when you get it hooked up!
post #63 of 68 Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I realize that some folks think I am crazy for doing it this way, but, I have always been a firm believer that the center channel is by far, the most important speaker in the theater. The second most important speaker is, in my opinion, the subwoofer. Then come the mains. With that being said, I am starting over and will initially purchase a new center speaker and I am planing on building a pair of TREO12's.
post #64 of 68 Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I realize that some folks think I am crazy for doing it this way, but, I have always been a firm believer that the center channel is by far, the most important speaker in the theater. The second most important speaker is, in my opinion, the subwoofer. Then come the mains. With that being said, I am starting over and will initially purchase a new center speaker and I am planing on building a pair of TREO12's.

I dunno...After you get the perfect setup it would be like having to choose which aspect you want to diminish...I can't argue against having the best center channel possible, but if your mains (or surrounds for that matter) can't keep up, then the only advantage would be on dialog,imo. Fwiw, I didn't have Multichannel Music in mind when I purchased my Home Theater, now it is 90% of what I listen to and there the advantage of having capable speakers really come into play.
post #65 of 68 Old 07-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler View Post

I dunno...After you get the perfect setup it would be like having to choose which aspect you want to diminish...I can't argue against having the best center channel possible, but if your mains (or surrounds for that matter) can't keep up, then the only advantage would be on dialog,imo. Fwiw, I didn't have Multichannel Music in mind when I purchased my Home Theater, now it is 90% of what I listen to and there the advantage of having capable speakers really come into play.

But I think what folks are stating if you are buying the best center you can I think by default folks would be going for the matching left right so it wouldn't be an issue. You must of course enjoy the sound of the speakers you are pursuing.

I still say and IMO IMO (you can't say that enough around here) biggrin.gif That up to a medium size room folks should not be afraid to try monitors to get to the next level of speakers and this will include what is typically considered the stronger center. My monitors are fine with the daddy center in that family. I can't afford the towers in this family right now but I do own the awesome center. It is well worth it to me to "just" own monitors in this family.

Most here probably have what might be considered a medium or smaller non-dedicated room. The monitor route worked for me. There is no going back once you have achieved a higher end center and I would not go down a level now just to move from monitors to towers and most likely a weaker center. Of course I am running a sub as well.

Rick

post #66 of 68 Old 07-11-2012, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Interested in hearing opinions on the Kef iQ60c/Q600c designs with regards to horizontal off-center interferemce and/or performance.

I am thinking the 3-way design and lower crossover points for the woofers should limit the frequency range over which interference occurs, and that the curved arrangement in the iQ60c would 'point' each of the woofer slightly away from the other, hereby increasingly reducing how much interference one sees from the 'far' woofer as you move further off axis.

If the design does offer advantages, what then are the possible downsides?
post #67 of 68 Old 07-18-2012, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
With all this talk of interference from an MTM center, I took one of my rear's (identical to my front left and right), and used it as the center.

There was a slight difference, but honestly I wouldn't say it was better.

Audioholics showing their diagram of sound waves hitting each other would also happen with the raised tweeter and 3way that they showed.
The tweeter isn't completely above the mids in either picture they show, so I'm not sure how this is better.

Personally I think too much emphasis is put on speakers and speaker design and not enough on room correction.
post #68 of 68 Old 07-18-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinF View Post

With all this talk of interference from an MTM center, I took one of my rear's (identical to my front left and right), and used it as the center.
There was a slight difference, but honestly I wouldn't say it was better.
Audioholics showing their diagram of sound waves hitting each other would also happen with the raised tweeter and 3way that they showed.
The tweeter isn't completely above the mids in either picture they show, so I'm not sure how this is better.
Personally I think too much emphasis is put on speakers and speaker design and not enough on room correction.

I'm assuming that you're L/R and surround speakers are 2-way MT designs?

When you swapped one in as a center, was is placed vertically?

Were you sitting on-axis (or only slightly off-axis) during this listening?
Reply Speakers