Revel F12 or B&W 683 or other recommendations? - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Speakers > Revel F12 or B&W 683 or other recommendations?

Speakers

somedude1's Avatar somedude1
10:16 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 12
06-29-2012 | Posts: 32
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around for a little while here. I'm finally to the point where I'm thinking about upgrading my current speakers.I'm currently looking at either the Revel F12s or B&W 683s. I was wondering if anyone has heard both and what their thoughts are.

A couple points that might help: my system will be used for approx. 60/40 in terms of movies/music and the room is about 13 x 18 with an open way to my kitchen. I have a Pioneer SC 35 to power them. Thanks in advance and please feel free to recommend any other speaker that would be a better speaker in that 1000-1500 price range.
AcuDefTechGuy
11:02 AM Liked: 237
post #2 of 12
06-29-2012 | Posts: 4,271
I would get either of these 2 brand new pair delivered prices:

KEF Q900 / $1284.00

Revel F12 / $1264.00

Both are accurate speakers great for both movies and music.

The B&W is inaccurate in terms of on-axis and off-axis frequency responses.
11:16 AM Liked: 10
post #3 of 12
Awesome. Can you provide links to those prices?
AcuDefTechGuy
11:58 AM Liked: 237
post #4 of 12
Sent you the info via PM.
04:42 PM Liked: 10
post #5 of 12
thank you sir!

out of the KEF and F12s, which one do you think is the better speaker?
AcuDefTechGuy
05:47 PM Liked: 237
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedude1 View Post

thank you sir!
out of the KEF and F12s, which one do you think is the better speaker?

Wow. That's a tough question. I have the Salon2 and KEF Reference 201/2. I don't know which I would pick based on just the midrange and tweeter.

But if I must only choose between F12 and Q900, I would choose F12 by a hair. biggrin.gif

The KEF 201/2 is one of the best measured speakers ever. But I just saw the HTM frequency response of the KEF R300, and it's not that impressive - like +/- 3dB.

The Q900 measured better than the R300.

I think the F12 measures better than both the Q900 (maybe slightly) and R300.
AuralXTC's Avatar AuralXTC
02:23 PM Liked: 12
post #7 of 12
07-01-2012 | Posts: 573
My vote is for the Revel F12 without question (based on your original listed choices). The KEF's would also be great.
aliasfox's Avatar aliasfox
12:02 PM Liked: 12
post #8 of 12
07-02-2012 | Posts: 106
Have you had a chance to sample any of your selections? B&W may or may not measure accurately, but I happen to like how many of them sound (I also own a pair of 804s)

Paradigm's Monitor series is in that price range as well (maybe the Monitor 9?) and have a fairly 'forward' presentation - maybe a slight accentuation on the upper midrange that seems to work very well for cinematic presentation (at the expense of being slightly brighter and less-accurate for critical listening).
commsysman's Avatar commsysman
03:44 PM Liked: 257
post #9 of 12
07-02-2012 | Posts: 5,292
I would suggest that anyone who is interested in these speakers read the Stereophile review of the KEF Q900. It will give you a good perspective on the strengths and characteristics of it. IMO it is one of the better speakers you can buy for under $2000, along with the Gallo Acoustics CL-3 (which has a review in the current issue of of The Absolute Sound).

I also would suggest that the lowball prices being quoted almost always DO NOT INCLUDE a factory warranty, and anyone who buys them with no factory warranty is makng a big mistake IMO. A factory warranty from an AUTHORIZED dealer is essential IMO if you ever need a repair and want it to be done properly.

Those lowball prices are usually from gray-market sleazebag outfits that rise up and go out of business as fast as the leaves change color in the fall. Their so-called warranties are usually impossible to enforce and essentially worthless

I have only heard the B & W 683 once, but it did not sound very good on that occasion, and I have heard several times that it is one of their "least successful designs"; look real hard at that one.

Personally, I listened to at least 8 of the best speakers in the $1500-3000 price range, and the Gallo Acoustics CL-3 was my clear choice. I absolutely love them. $1595 factory direct with a 60-day free return privilege (free shipping both ways).
AcuDefTechGuy
06:27 PM Liked: 237
post #10 of 12
07-02-2012 | Posts: 4,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfox View Post

B&W may or may not measure accurately...

They don't measure accurately. It's not an opinion. It's a fact. Look at the on-axis, horizontal off-axis, & vertical off-axis responses of the B&W 800D and 802D. They measure worse than the Infinity P360 on Stereophile.

It's perfectly okay to buy speakers that don't measure accurately. But why do that if you can have speakers that not only sound great, but also measure great on-axis and off-axis?

I might buy the 802D one day. But it ain't for the sound quality. It's for the sexy immaculate aesthetics and build quality. biggrin.gif

Maybe AJ can build me a new crossover for them since B&W don't know how. eek.gif

Their cumulative spectral decay graphs look beautiful. It's a shame they just can't figure out how to beat the P363 on the on-axis and off-axis. eek.gif
AcuDefTechGuy
06:40 PM Liked: 237
post #11 of 12
07-02-2012 | Posts: 4,271
If you guys can spend $1,600 for a pair of Philharmonic 1 speakers or $2,000/pr for the Philharmonic 2, these speakers will not only measure better on-axis and off-axis than the B&W 800D, but they will sound a lot better!
aliasfox's Avatar aliasfox
07:56 AM Liked: 12
post #12 of 12
07-03-2012 | Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I would suggest that anyone who is interested in these speakers read the Stereophile review of the KEF Q900. It will give you a good perspective on the strengths and characteristics of it. IMO it is one of the better speakers you can buy for under $2000, along with the Gallo Acoustics CL-3 (which has a review in the current issue of of The Absolute Sound).
I also would suggest that the lowball prices being quoted almost always DO NOT INCLUDE a factory warranty, and anyone who buys them with no factory warranty is makng a big mistake IMO. A factory warranty from an AUTHORIZED dealer is essential IMO if you ever need a repair and want it to be done properly.
Those lowball prices are usually from gray-market sleazebag outfits that rise up and go out of business as fast as the leaves change color in the fall. Their so-called warranties are usually impossible to enforce and essentially worthless
I have only heard the B & W 683 once, but it did not sound very good on that occasion, and I have heard several times that it is one of their "least successful designs"; look real hard at that one.
Personally, I listened to at least 8 of the best speakers in the $1500-3000 price range, and the Gallo Acoustics CL-3 was my clear choice. I absolutely love them. $1595 factory direct with a 60-day free return privilege (free shipping both ways).

I'll agree with commsysman - I wouldn't hesitate to ask a dealer to see if they can offer a better price than MSRP - regardless of what I buy, I a) try see/listen to the product in person, and b) try to give the local guy a fair shot. That way, you have a factory warranty, someone to talk to if you have any questions or problems (much more likely to offer relevant advice if you've purchased before), and they might mind less if just swing by to take a look at their showroom.

As for the B&W 683, I've heard the 683 and 685 are the successful designs in that line, and that the 686 and 684 are the ones to avoid - i.e., if you like the B&W sound and were thinking 684s in front and 686s in back, it's better to spend the same money on 685s all around. The 683 includes a lot of B&W's trademarked/heavily marketed designs, but in a vinyl wrapped Chinese-made box. Considering it's the top of the line for the 6-series, I can't imagine they screwed it up, but stranger things have happened. Note though, that I've heard the 685 and 686, but haven't had much experience with the 6-series towers (684 or 683).

Whether or not any of this means anything comes down to whether or not you like how it sounds!

I still suggest Paradigm if you're doing movie-heavy listening though. As for the rest of the speakers mentioned, I don't have any real-world experience with regards to Gallo or Revel or Philharmonic, and considering I would like to refrain from judging a speaker purely by a graph, all I'll say is it can't hurt to try them all and let us know what you think!
Reply Speakers

Subscribe to this Thread