Which home speaker set up do I go with? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-29-2012, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone! I have been out of the home audio game for about 9 years now, so this is all new to me again...

I was looking to pick up a nice 5.1 surround speaker set for my living room cinema/music area. It's a big space, with 15 foot ceiling, and the entire area is a "great room" that is open to the dining room and kitchen.

I'm torn because I have the chance to pick up a front L/R Floor Pair of speakers that I read great reviews on:

Revel Concerta F-12's

...I can buy these new from a seller for $600 for the pair, which I thought was really good.

The flip side is that I would have to piece together other speakers, and I'm not sure I could afford more from the Concerta series.

Or, I have the chance to pick up a set of 5.1 Klipsch speakers:
(2 SF 2's, 1 RC 25 center, 2 RS 7 rears) for $300 total

...any thoughts on what to go for? Is it bad to mix front/center/rear speaker brands?

Thanks for your help!

(also, any thoughts on decent speaker sets under 1k total would be great to know...or even decent brands to track...I'm out of the game!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-30-2012, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutKaz View Post

Hey everyone! I have been out of the home audio game for about 9 years now, so this is all new to me again...
I was looking to pick up a nice 5.1 surround speaker set for my living room cinema/music area. It's a big space, with 15 foot ceiling, and the entire area is a "great room" that is open to the dining room and kitchen.
I'm torn because I have the chance to pick up a front L/R Floor Pair of speakers that I read great reviews on:
Revel Concerta F-12's
...I can buy these new from a seller for $600 for the pair, which I thought was really good.
The flip side is that I would have to piece together other speakers, and I'm not sure I could afford more from the Concerta series.
Or, I have the chance to pick up a set of 5.1 Klipsch speakers:
(2 SF 2's, 1 RC 25 center, 2 RS 7 rears) for $300 total
...any thoughts on what to go for? Is it bad to mix front/center/rear speaker brands?
Thanks for your help!
(also, any thoughts on decent speaker sets under 1k total would be great to know...or even decent brands to track...I'm out of the game!)

The front three channels you want all timbre matched. Using different brands will yield sound changes as the sound pans left, center, and right. If you are looking at getting the Revel's try checking out audiogon.com. You may be able to get a decent deal on the Concerta Center speaker. Is the $1K your total budget? Do you want towers for your front L/R, or would be okay with Bookshelf speakers? You should go out and listen to as many speaker brands as possible to get an idea on what type of sound you are looking for. I'm sure the speakers you listed sound fine, but you should give both brands a listen before you buy them. Buyer's remorse is something you don't want when you are dropping that kind of money on speakers. If you don't have any local a/v retaliers near you to listen to some speakers, there are numerous on line speaker companies too, some giving a small discount when you buy your speakers in a package. I would suggest going through the owner's threads on here and asking direct questions to help you.

Cliff
post #3 of 3 Old 06-30-2012, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
darkpoet25 - Thanks a lot for the tips! I'd love to keep everything around 1k or less - and I'm looking more on the used market.

I always liked floor towers for my L/R fronts.

One that caught my eye was this package:

Definitive Mythos Four Loudspeakers (2 R/L Fronts), D. Mythos Three Center, D. Mythos Gem Surround backs (2), Denon AVR-1909 Receiver and Paradigm PS-1000 SubWoofer - ASKING PRICE: $650 for all

...I did here Mythos speakers before at the Magnolia Home Theater set up at BB, and thought they had a nice sound to them - maybe just curious if others are familiar with that line and their thoughts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page