Main difference between studio reference monitors and ordinary speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-01-2012, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

A big hello from me as I'm new here smile.gif

I have a pair of goodman active 75 speakers such as these on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Goodmans-Active-75-Speakers-/230816908929?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item35bdc28681

that I am using for mixing down at the moment. They are loud enough but do have bass and treble controls so are not proper studio reference monitors.

I am just wondering what really is the main difference between proper small studio monitors and the goodmans speakers that I am using?

I realise that that studio monitors give a flat response so as not to colour the sound in any way, and my question is, isn't it possible to adjust the bass and treble on my speakers so as to obtain more or less the same effect?

Is there other differences that I am not aware of, between ordinary active speakers and studio monitors?

I was thinking of buying these,

http://www.gear4music.com/Recording-and-Computers/Behringer-B2030P-Truth-Studio-Monitors-Pair/1LO

But If I though it was just a case of calibrating the bass and treble on my existing speakers then I would just continue to use them instead.

Many Thanks for any advice and pointers in the right direction.

Kind regards
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-01-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemardo1 View Post

I realise that that studio monitors give a flat response so as not to colour the sound in any way
That's actually not true. There are precious few differences, aside from what they're called. The most ubiquitous studio monitor of all time was the Yamaha NS-10, which was hardly flat, and not originally even marketed as a monitor. Other examples of very widely used monitors that were not the least bit flat are the Altec A7 and Rogers LS3 5A, which once dominated US and UK studios respectively. Today Westlake and Genelec are two favorite brands, and are really just good hi-fi speakers.
Quote:
Is there other differences that I am not aware of, between ordinary active speakers and studio monitors?
For one thing most monitors aren't powered. Where nearfield monitors are concerned, being intended for mounting atop the console only a few feet at best from the mixing position it's critical that the woofer and tweeter response lobes are integrated by the time the waves arrive at the mixing position, so that usually means a small framed tweeter to allow very tight driver spacing.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-02-2012, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Many so called near field self powered studio monitors are outrageously musical high performance speakers, that will blow away many so called "high end speakers".
Just as so called high end speakers all sound different, so do the near field self powered and passive monitors.
Some are what I would call "Clinical" sounding. I have not heard all of them, but I have an older pair of Event 20/20 passive 8 inch 2 way monitors. They do not image remarkably well, but they are reputed to be "accurate".
I do not care for them as home stereo speakers, unless the recording is spectacular.

Now, I also have some Fostex 5 inch 2 way self powered near field monitors that are absolutely incredible sounding. I think they are the PM.05 MKII ?
They image like no tomorrow, and are warm, rich, and musical as all hell.
HOW someone uses them as monitors is quite beyond me, because they make almost everything sound decent, and will drop your jaw if the recording is spectacular.
I have them here for my computer speakers. But just for kicks, I hooked them up in my main 20 by 24ft listening room for a week. I crossed them over to my stereo subs at 80 hz.
Outside of being so small, and looking stupid in such a big room, they were very enjoyable!

The do speech (watching TV) very well, and I am ANAL about speech reproduction.
You will need a male XLR to RCA cable to use them. You simply go out the pre outs on your pre amp into the speakers, and plug the little bastards in.
They will not play as loud as my huge Electro Voice Sentry III's, but then, they do not weigh 175 lbs each either.

I think for someone in a more normal sized room, a pair of these little Fostex Monitors on stands, and a small Infinity Subwoofer with the RABOS EQ built into it, will put many a much more expensive "high end system" to bed.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page