Switch to turn Main & Surround around - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-02-2012, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

This might sound silly, but I need a way to switch my mains and surround speakers around with a switch.
My current setup is a room with a LED screen in one end and a projector screen in the oposite side, I would like to switch my surrounds (5.1 scenario) and mains according to the preferred display device.

Can this be done with a device between the receiver and front and rear speakers without losing sound quality? Not sure what to do with the center speaker, maybe have a centre at both ends and one is cut out depending the switch position?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-02-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
So you want your surround speakers to be your mains and your mains to be your surround speakers, when using the TV? If youe speakers are set in the correct positions for HT when using the projector, then the speakers will be in the wrong positions for HT when using the TV. You would be much better off, moving the TV to the projection screen area and use a drop down screen in front of the TV. Either that or just use the TV speakers with the TV in its current location. Third option is to get a sound system for the TV. You could do it pretty simple, like getting a soundbar.

Added
To answer your basic question, yes the wiring can be done, but due to speaker location it would not be the thing to do.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 5 Old 07-02-2012, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

I forgot that even if I do switch front -> back and vice versa that the left right will also be affected. I will stick to your advice thanks!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-02-2012, 02:22 PM

Get a second Reciver and double up the wires on each speaker ....but never play at the same time ... That will work also !
post #5 of 5 Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeTheater1010 View Post

Get a second Reciver and double up the wires on each speaker ....but never play at the same time ... That will work also !

This would assume a double set of binding posts? Ideally, you'd have something to switch between receivers, like the switches most dealers have in their demo rooms to go between receivers/amps etc.

If your first receiver has full pre-outs and dual video outputs (assuming you're using it for HDMI switching), you can wire the first receiver's amplifier outputs for the projector, wire the preouts to the analog inputs in the second receiver (with front left = surround right etc), and then wire the second receiver for the TV. Wiring it this way (with a switch in the middle) allows you to have one receiver handle input switching and DAC work, and all you'd have to do is do an A/B flip on the switch to get different speaker setups.

Though yes, this will be ideal for one monitor and likely less so for the other one... also expensive if you don't already have one nice receiver that has preouts and dual HDMI outputs...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page