5.1 Speakers connections - Samsung HDTV + PS3 Slim + PC! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I would like to buy a new set of 5.1 speaker system for my room. Idea is to use the same home theater system and connect to my PS3, TV and use them for PC output (soundcard/ realtek onboard). Right now, my Samsung HDTV has got HDMI2 (connected to PC) and HDMI 4 (connected to PS3 Slim). I have got 2 free HDMI.

Currently, I am using Logitech Z-5300 5.1 analog speakers with my PC. Since past year or so, center and front + rear right speakers are cracking a lot at mid-high volumes Plus, I cannot use these speakers with my PS3. So, I need to buy a new system soon.

I am looking forward to buying one of these:

1) Sony BDV-E290
2) Samsung HT-E453K

They have a coax IN and 1 HDMI out (for TV). Will any of these successfully allow for 5.1 output if I use coax from my PC soundcard/ realtek for connection? Also, since the inputs are limited on these speakers (same coax for PS3, PC) is there any other way for me to use these to output sound simultaneously from PC and PS3?

I am a bit new to this, any kind of help is appreciated smile.gif My budget right now is around $350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 09:17 AM

Liked: 12
So you're looking for HTIB? You would probably get more responses in that subforum. I have my computer connected to my 60" Sony LED, through HDMI on my Yamaha Rcv, and I play everything now from my computer.

I'm guessing your using onboard graphics and don't have a discrete video card. What connections do you have on your PC? Frankly everything is easier connected via a receiver. Some of these HTIB have a receiver included in the package, so you might want to check what they include and connections they provide. If there is a HDMI connection, is it ARC compliant? As in, can you connect everything through that receiver. If so, you should be good. Although a HTIB receiver doesn't usually handle video I do believe.

When I had my old Sony HTIB, I had no problem getting 5.1, but I had a old computer back then and was using analog connections.

Again, I would look at what you have available on your computer, what you are trying to do (HDMI video/audio-1connection), and the capabilities of the receiver unit in the HTIB you are looking at.

With only one connection each (Coax & HDMI) on these receiver units, it limits things a lot. However, you should be able to get 5.1 easily enough. Do you even have a Coax connection on your PC? If so, you should get 5.1 no problem. Will it be better than HDMI? No. The best set up is HDMI that handles both audio and video.
uns33n likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you look at the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system, which retails for $1200 MSRP, but which Amazon is selling for $360 right now.

IMO most of the HTIB systems on the market are worthless crap, but this one is definitely a cut above the others, and $360 is a bargain price for what you get. That Samsung setup is really awful'; don't look twice at it.

What is driving your speakers now; you didn't mention what receiver you are using?
post #4 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hi guys, thanks for your replies smile.gif

Well, currently my PC does have a dedicated graphics card --> Palit Radeon Dual Sonic 4870HD 1GB. It has 2 DVI, 1HDMI and Displayport. Also, it has an in-built audio-controller. So, it can output HDMI audio if sent to receiver. Onboard sound does have S/PDIF.

I just found out, as I posted on some other forums too, it seems my HTiB selections are crap (just like your suggestions) smile.gif Now I finally have selected 3 better choices:

1) Onkyo HT-S3500 --- approx $545

2) Denon DHT-1312XP --- approx $600

3) Yamaha YHT-296 --- approx $540

Only problem for me right now is that with these, I really need to increase my budget :[

Of course, prices are costlier than in US as I live in India.

What are your thoughts on the above systems?
post #5 of 8 Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 PM

I'm not sure about the quality of the HTIB or which one is better, but they would all work for what you want it to do. However, I don't see ARC capability listed on the Denon HTIB. I didn't really examine these choices in detail, but I would be looking at the receiver capabilities and the speaker's wattage & frequency response. Only the Onkyo gives specific info on the specs. The subwoofer definitely doesn't go very deep. The rest of the HTIB don't tell you much of anything.

My suggestion would be to do some research on these HTIBs, check out reviews, ask the same question in the HTIB subforum.

The receivers that come with these HTIB seem to all have plenty of HDMI connections. Connect your tv to the receiver, via the ARC-HDMI connection on it. You can also connect your PC and Gamebox via the Rcv via HDMI. If you are using HDMI to connect your monitor to your PC, I would switch to a another connection or a HMDI to Displayport Cable. That's what I have. DVI doesn't look bad either, but Displayport is pretty close to HDMI.
Anyways, if you hook your PC up to your tv/receiver via the receiver's HDMI connection, that will take care of video and audio. If your tv is not close to your PC, I would suggest going with Mediabridge for a long HDMI connection.

When I say onboard, that is referring to the CPU's graphics/audio in conjunction with the motherboard. Onboard isn't usually referring to a dedicated graphics card. So those that don't have a graphics card, would be using on onboard stuff.

And for the record, if you aren't gaming on your PC, there is little difference between onboard graphics/audio and with a dedicated video card. When I built my computer I first just had the HD3000/realtek that came with my Intel CPU. I connected everything to the motherboard. Then I got a Sapphire HD6850 graphics card. No real difference noticed in playing movies.

My honest opinion would be to build your own HT audio. More bang for the buck and you get to choose what you like. Yeah, this is the easy way to go, but you might be paying more for less sound/quality.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-04-2012, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

I'm not sure about the quality of the HTIB or which one is better, but they would all work for what you want it to do. However, I don't see ARC capability listed on the Denon HTIB. I didn't really examine these choices in detail, but I would be looking at the receiver capabilities and the speaker's wattage & frequency response. Only the Onkyo gives specific info on the specs. The subwoofer definitely doesn't go very deep. The rest of the HTIB don't tell you much of anything.
My suggestion would be to do some research on these HTIBs, check out reviews, ask the same question in the HTIB subforum.
The receivers that come with these HTIB seem to all have plenty of HDMI connections. Connect your tv to the receiver, via the ARC-HDMI connection on it. You can also connect your PC and Gamebox via the Rcv via HDMI. If you are using HDMI to connect your monitor to your PC, I would switch to a another connection or a HMDI to Displayport Cable. That's what I have. DVI doesn't look bad either, but Displayport is pretty close to HDMI.
Anyways, if you hook your PC up to your tv/receiver via the receiver's HDMI connection, that will take care of video and audio. If your tv is not close to your PC, I would suggest going with Mediabridge for a long HDMI connection.
When I say onboard, that is referring to the CPU's graphics/audio in conjunction with the motherboard. Onboard isn't usually referring to a dedicated graphics card. So those that don't have a graphics card, would be using on onboard stuff.
And for the record, if you aren't gaming on your PC, there is little difference between onboard graphics/audio and with a dedicated video card. When I built my computer I first just had the HD3000/realtek that came with my Intel CPU. I connected everything to the motherboard. Then I got a Sapphire HD6850 graphics card. No real difference noticed in playing movies.
My honest opinion would be to build your own HT audio. More bang for the buck and you get to choose what you like. Yeah, this is the easy way to go, but you might be paying more for less sound/quality.

Thanks for the reply. Thing is, I do use my PC a lot for games. It is connected to Samsung 32" HDTV right now via HDMI. All the setup is on a single desk, TV connected to PC and PS3. As you are suggesting, I'll try going in more details about the HTiB systems and then come at a decision smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 07-04-2012, 07:38 AM

Sounds like you got it figured out. You didn't mention a monitor, so I'm guessing your using the 32" as a monitor. If this audio upgrade is just for your computer and playing games, then I would say spending $600+ is going overboard, but that's just me. Whatever you choose it will more likely be at least 10x better than what comes with your flat screen. Good luck with your search.
uns33n likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-04-2012, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolfcg View Post

Sounds like you got it figured out. You didn't mention a monitor, so I'm guessing your using the 32" as a monitor. If this audio upgrade is just for your computer and playing games, then I would say spending $600+ is going overboard, but that's just me. Whatever you choose it will more likely be at least 10x better than what comes with your flat screen. Good luck with your search.

Thanks a lot for your feedback smile.gif
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page