JBL L820s Clipping! Help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a set of L820s and a Denon 4311ci receiver. I thought that they would be a good match but I am getting some severe clipping when watching TV. Depending on the scene, I get clipping on the loud portions, I assume that the speakers are under powered. The volume is pretty low and I still get what I think is clipping. So do the experts here think that the JBLs are under powered? When listening to music I can get them pretty loud and I don't hear any clipping. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Sounds more like a problem with the level coming into the receiver from the TV source - since no problems with music. What is the TV source, and how is it connected to the receiver? And are you using a sub, and if so, how do you have the AVR crossover set?
post #3 of 9 Old 07-04-2012, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Sounds more like a problem with the level coming into the receiver from the TV source - since no problems with music. What is the TV source, and how is it connected to the receiver? And are you using a sub, and if so, how do you have the AVR crossover set?

The TV source is from a Dish Hopper DVR. The connection is via hdmi. Yes, there is a sub as well. I believe the crossover is set at 80 Hz. There is a 5.1 setup right now with another jbl center and then some cheap in ceilings as surrounds. Some other, maybe useful, information is that I had a pioneer VSX-1021 in before the Denon and it did the same thing with the new JBLs. My old setup with the pioneer and old speakers didn't do this at all? I really appreciate the help.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-05-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Do you have your speakers set as "Small" or "Large"? If "Large", try setting to "Small" and see if the problem persists.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 04:43 AM

PDDiaz2,

You should post up your issue in the JBL Forum. The guys there will help you out ASAP.

PilotAce
post #6 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by pddiaz2 View Post

I recently purchased a set of L820s and a Denon 4311ci receiver. I thought that they would be a good match but I am getting some severe clipping when watching TV. Depending on the scene, I get clipping on the loud portions, I assume that the speakers are under powered. The volume is pretty low and I still get what I think is clipping. So do the experts here think that the JBLs are under powered? When listening to music I can get them pretty loud and I don't hear any clipping. Thanks for the help.

It's possible this has nothing to do with the speakers, but is some issue elsewhere in the audio chain. If both channels are doing it, that's even more likely. It'd be helpful to have a better description of what you hear, since "clipping" is not something that's easily heard. Distortion at loud passages can be from a number of different causes, including the source. If different sources (like music) don't do it then the speakers are much less likely to be the problem.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 AM

FWIW, I have a 2312CI and L820 on all four corners. It gets loud enough to start to be uncomfortable in that room and I've never noticed clipping.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

It's possible this has nothing to do with the speakers, but is some issue elsewhere in the audio chain. If both channels are doing it, that's even more likely. It'd be helpful to have a better description of what you hear, since "clipping" is not something that's easily heard. Distortion at loud passages can be from a number of different causes, including the source. If different sources (like music) don't do it then the speakers are much less likely to be the problem.

+1

Do you experience the same problem with blu-ray? If not, I would definitely point a finger at the DVR. And it could be that what you feel is clipping is some kind of compression being added to the audio by DISH, and your previous speakers weren't as revealing of it. Have you researched about the audio quality on your model DVR? Have you tried blu-ray?

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #9 of 9 Old 07-06-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Also true that the average satellite DVR is putting out 2-ch PCM on SD channels, and DD on HD channels. That alone could be the source of some issue in an AVR, especially if the AVR has specific settings for PCM input like levels or bass management. If the distortion can be narrowed down to SD channels, that's worth looking into as well as the settings in the DVR relating to digital output.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page