Comparison, Unbiased Review & Ranking of 12 High-End Home Cinema Audio Systems - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

BTW, I really did not think he was gone for good. This does not pass the smell test. The OP left with look, I proved you all wrong, and said some not nice things. I guess he deserves a break.

He made the same post in a few other forums. HTS even deleted his thread entirely... I actually like AVS more because we don't have any Moderator Nazi's that freakout if you say "damn." As he has bowed out of the other forums as well, I say good riddens. There is a difference between respectful to new members wanting and willing to learn and those with the gall to introduce themselves with a 40 page report full of holes pointed out by many proven top notch professionals in the industry. HT is a passionate hobby of mine and I'm still training myself to follow all of the engineering/technical talk, but among other things, I have a degree in Marketing and his article truly reeked of Brand Imaging.

If fact, with all of the attention that this article is getting (even the shout-out on AVS Radio) it's pretty much free press for him. As a noob the "catchy title", "thread replys" and "thread views" are going to entice them to check out the thread. In addition, Search Engine Optimization has proven that the first page of results (i.e.-the first page of this thread) receives the most hits, so an impatient newbie will see the pdf file, think he has found what he needs and not bother with the commentary...

Then again, most noobs are not yaught owners so they may scoff at the prices and discard the article completely... =)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

He made the same post in a few other forums. HTS even deleted his thread entirely... I actually like AVS more because we don't have any Miderator Nazi's that freakout if you say "damn." As he has bowed out of the other forums as well, I say good riddens. There is a difference between respectful to new members wanting and willing to learn and those with the gall to introduce themselves with a 40 page report full of holes pointed out by many proven top notch professionals in the industry. HT is a passionate hobby of mine and I'm still training myself to follow all of the engineering/technical talk, but among other things, I have a degree in Marketing and his article truly reeked of Brand Imaging.
If fact, with all of the attention that this article is getting (even the shout-out on AVS Radio) it's pretty much free press for him. As a noob the "catchy title", "thread replys" and "thread views" are going to entice them to check out the thread. In addition, Search Engine Optimization has proven that the first page of results (i.e.-the first page of this thread) receives the most hits, so an impatient newbie will see the pdf file, think he has found what he needs and not bother with the commentary...
Then again, most noobs are not yaught owners so they may scoff at the prices and discard the article completely... =)

Great post. And I have a feeling that folks that are willing to drop $54K on a speaker are most likely working with a custom installer and are not even reading AVS. Maybe I am wrong, but I know if I had that kinda cash I would pay someone like Dennis Erskine to design and build my theater and put in the speakers that he recommends based on his experience and design.
post #273 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 403
The thread title is high end so I think people would assume expensive. I just think we all should get the same treatment and if I could get told by members all the flaws in my comparisons than this new guy should get the same treatment, in a good way. Some here are crediting all the hard work? Really, going to showrooms and listening is not hard work at all, I have done that 100's of times. The hard work is building, moving 300 pound subs in the best spot, measuring, EQing, moving them again, etc.. Then when finished get critiqued so the next time you can do it even better. Not tell everyone they are stupid and I know best because I have experience. If the OP compared against Salk, JTR, or whatever is more popular here we would have the same guys debating. Instead we have craig john because he gave a bad review of Triads. If the JBL guys read this they would be here too. I think the correct information should be in this thread for the newbs, that is why I still post.
post #274 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 414
This review should've been posted in the 20K section of AVS.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #275 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Craig, (John, not sub). smile.gif

If the timing is good, I'd like to see what the SLs can really do. Store is about 40 minutes from me.

Give me a PM when you know more
post #276 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

He made the same post in a few other forums. HTS even deleted his thread entirely...

Any idea why they killed his thread? Was the thread getting violent? smile.gif
post #277 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Craig, (John, not sub). smile.gif
If the timing is good, I'd like to see what the SLs can really do. Store is about 40 minutes from me.
Give me a PM when you know more
They have Triad Platinums set up in another room too. smile.gif (Un-modified, of course!) smile.gif

I'll let you know.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #278 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
CJ,

I live about 2 hours south of Overture. As far as making an appointment that is high end sales bs so the can have a literature package made up with some mineral water chilled because you are looking at a 60 grand speaker set up. It may also be possible there few on staff that can demo the system affectively and have all the SL jargon down to a science.

I am busy Monday and Tuesday but can do it any other day!

Holla at you boy 443.614.2067

Mike

Mike Miles

ICR [ Sales Consulting and Small Part-Time AV shop, very small...  ]

Process Integration, Inc. [ contract sales consultant ]

Eastern Shore of Maryland

post #279 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

I'm pretty sure that's the system mmiles and I heard at Cedia in 2010. They sounded good but when they told us the price we were like "they're not that good..." I remember enjoying the Adams much more for 2 channel. They were setup as a multichannel config in a dedicated room if i recall.

You are correct sir. Peter (Cineramax) suggested we take a listen since Lyndorf was trying to sell their room correction / eq system in a standalone box too.

Mike Miles

post #280 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1195
Quote:

Any idea why they killed his thread? Was the thread getting violent? smile.gif
If they even think that they might not be getting their piece of an advertising pie HTS will delete posts and threads. They wouldn't even let me put my company name or profession in my profile. They did offer to have me host my own forum under their wing, for $150 a month, which is what it costs me to host my own site and forum for a year. Greedy they be. I dropped out of there after two weeks, never looked back.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #281 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

If they even think that they might not be getting their piece of an advertising pie HTS will delete posts and threads. They wouldn't even let me put my company name or profession in my profile. They did offer to have me host my own forum under their wing, for $150 a month, which is what it costs me to host my own site and forum for a year. Greedy they be. I dropped out of there after two weeks, never looked back.

I don't know the politics behind why they deleted it... I do know that I've only been a member there for two months and I've already had 4 warnings for my inappropriate behavior... It's like they try to make it friendly for 11 year olds. Like the Disney Channel vs. Adult Swim... HTS -

What I am getting at is that I'm sure the thread started out as it did here on AVS, but when their members started ripping into boynutter the HTS moderators freaked out.

The main reason I have a membership over there is because their android app works on my phone and it's easier for me to browse/reply on the go...

post #282 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmiles View Post

CJ,
I live about 2 hours south of Overture. As far as making an appointment that is high end sales bs so the can have a literature package made up with some mineral water chilled because you are looking at a 60 grand speaker set up. It may also be possible there few on staff that can demo the system affectively and have all the SL jargon down to a science.
I am busy Monday and Tuesday but can do it any other day!
Holla at you boy 443.614.2067
Mike
The salesman I spoke to said that they have multiple systems set up in that room, and they prefer to have appointments with folks coming in from out of the area so they can ensure an open demo time. Thursday might work. bfreedma???

I'll call them to see if that day is open. They are open 11:00 to 5:30.

After thinking about it some more, I'm not sure I want to take measurements. If I try to turn the sub up to 115 dB and it blows up, I don't want to have to pay for it! eek.gif I will, however, take my SPL meter along and we can see how far we can push the system.

Craig

PS. I went to a Focal demo there a few weeks ago. They had the Scala Utopia's. Quite impressive. http://www.overtureaudiohometheater.com/events

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #283 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure Thursday looks good.

I was there about 8 years ago so it's probably the big room in the rear. the had a Runco on a Stewart screen with a Wilsom Maxx speaker setup with Spectral amps and Classe preamplifier and player. The rep said an Eagle player bought the same system a few weeks prior!

Terry has quite the line card and industry clout. He is or has been a CES staple but I have not seen him at CEDIA.

Mike Miles

post #284 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Here's an S-L system I'd like to hear:

Although at $150K a pair, I stick with my "honkers." biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif It's more expensive than a Steinway piano. eek.gif

Craig
Outdated prices Craig. Those puppies cost $188,000 now. The main reason I'd like to hear them properly set up is the anecdotal story from Peter Lyngdorf (in a Six Moons article?) about the audition with the folks from Steinway with the live pianos. That peaked my curiosity about these.

Anyway look forward to your auditioning of the tiny speakers, as the physics definitely don't seem to support the OP's claims.

Max

P.s. I LOL'ed at your "blowing them up" comment as I sort of did that with a Goldenear 5.1 setup I auditioned to see how they sounded at Reference. The built-in powered woofers couldn't handle Tron:Legacy very well (couldn't dig anywhere near as deep or as loud as the Boston Acoustics E100's I was using as mains, and the Triton II's rattled as they reached their limits), and the center gave up the ghost (literally had smoke come out of it), although there admittedly was already some problem with the CC, as I heard an odd buzzing distortion from it even from musical passages.
post #285 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Wow.. I didn't realize HTS was such slobs. Although their reviews are biased as well. I shouldn't be surprised.
post #286 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Wow.. I didn't realize HTS was such slobs. Although their reviews are biased as well. I shouldn't be surprised.

You guys are reading to much into this. HTS deleted the thread so that it wouldn't turn into a thread you might find... elsewhere. wink.gif

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #287 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

The salesman I spoke to said that they have multiple systems set up in that room, and they prefer to have appointments with folks coming in from out of the area so they can ensure an open demo time. Thursday might work. bfreedma???
I'll call them to see if that day is open. They are open 11:00 to 5:30.
After thinking about it some more, I'm not sure I want to take measurements. If I try to turn the sub up to 115 dB and it blows up, I don't want to have to pay for it! eek.gif I will, however, take my SPL meter along and we can see how far we can push the system.
Craig
PS. I went to a Focal demo there a few weeks ago. They had the Scala Utopia's. Quite impressive. http://www.overtureaudiohometheater.com/events

Thursday won't work for me unfortunately - I hate it when my job gets in the way of a hobby eek.gif

Have a good time if you go and if you happen to reschedule, I'd still like to go. They have nice toys at Overture!

Ben
post #288 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

I don't know the politics behind why they deleted it... I do know that I've only been a member there for two months and I've already had 4 warnings for my inappropriate behavior... It's like they try to make it friendly for 11 year olds. Like the Disney Channel vs. Adult Swim... HTS -
What I am getting at is that I'm sure the thread started out as it did here on AVS, but when their members started ripping into boynutter the HTS moderators freaked out.
The main reason I have a membership over there is because their android app works on my phone and it's easier for me to browse/reply on the go...

The thread never made it past it's OP. One post... done. Obvious rabbit hole.

As for behavior... simply read the rules.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #289 of 406 Old 07-13-2012, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

The thread never made it past it's OP. One post... done. Obvious rabbit hole.
As for behavior... simply read the rules.

Understood tesseract67.

post #290 of 406 Old 07-14-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@craig...

let me know if you set something up, i'll take a ride down there... it'll be a good excuse to hit up the charcoal pit... smile.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #291 of 406 Old 07-14-2012, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I might be interested to check it out as well. Chris, where in NJ are you?
post #292 of 406 Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

hey tony... i'm in collingswood... across the river from philly...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #293 of 406 Old 07-14-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^
hey tony... i'm in collingswood... across the river from philly...

oh ok. I thought maybe you were in northern NJ somewhere. We could then drive in together...
post #294 of 406 Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:

If people don't like the sound of my speakers, that's fine. But this guy portrayed himself as some kind of expert, and then wrote a review that was highly critical of them, and (originally) contained some very harsh language. Now, it turns out that the speakers he reviewed were likely heavily modified, with external crossovers, and he didn't reveal that in his review. Also, he never responded to any of my questions about the frequency range or measurements that would be involved in the "honkiness" he described, and which he attributed to the dispersion lens/horn. The dispersion lens isn't even in play in the honkiness range, yet he never answered any of my questions about that. My only motivation here is to expose him for who he really is, and discredit his review so that anyone else looking for information about the Triad Platinums knows to disregard this review.
In addition, the hyperbole you speak of further discredits his review. And frankly, I don't believe his measurements. I intend to verify for myself whether or not this system can actually do what he says it can. I hope you don't think that is beating a dead horse.
BTW, Rob, if you do a Google search for "Steinway Lyngdorf Triad Platinum", this thread is the first hit to come up.
Craig

Apparently you are a man on a mission and if that is the way you want to spend your time ... God's speed.

BTW, I can't imagine the the "Steinway Lyngdorf Triad Platinum" Google search is a common one (your's is probably the only such search on the books).
You're the doctor Craig but IMHO, letting this thread die of natural causes is probably the best medicine. smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #295 of 406 Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 AM

Liked: 16
Do you guys in South/Central NJ and Philadelphia area really want to audition SL system? IMO, OP succeeded on his mission to generate interest for his SL system to the point that people who owns some of the most accurate and arguably the best HT/Music speakers (Triad and Salk) wants to audition SL wink.gif
post #296 of 406 Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsnoob10 View Post

Do you guys in South/Central NJ and Philadelphia area really want to audition SL system? IMO, OP succeeded on his mission to generate interest for his SL system to the point that people who owns some of the most accurate and arguably the best HT/Music speakers (Triad and Salk) wants to audition SL wink.gif

I think it's more about proving him wrong more than anything.
post #297 of 406 Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

Actually, I haven't participated in any AV forums to date because of all the politics, petty insults and jibes, and general childish behaviour. Because it's the Internet it is impossible to maintain an intellectual discussion.
So far, everyone is doing a spectacular job of proving I was absolutely right to avoid these forums like the plague, so don't expect me to be around for too long wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

In which case prepare to "be astonished" wink.gif
Yesterday I paid a visit to the demonstration centre at GECKO, the UK's Distributor at Steinway Lyngdorf and played a 25Hz audio signal off a test disc through only a LS Boundary Woofer and am pleased to confirm that it exceeded 115dB at 25Hz at the listening position. smile.gif
Here I took a photo for you of the reading:

Citing a theory and then providing evidence (of why it's impossible to maintain an intellectual discussion on the internet) supporting that theory: A picture of a sound level meter "showing" a measurement. Brilliant!
post #298 of 406 Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

@craig...
let me know if you set something up, i'll take a ride down there... it'll be a good excuse to hit up the charcoal pit... smile.gif

The Pit is not what it is use to be IMHO. But not bad neither...

Mike Miles

post #299 of 406 Old 07-15-2012, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No I don't think the OP won or proved his point if we met at Overture listened to speakers and the let CJ buy us all dinner.

On the other hand if CJ plunks down $100K then yes the OP in fact won and maybe wil even cut a cut...

Mike Miles

post #300 of 406 Old 07-15-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

No I don't think the OP won or proved his point if we met at Overture listened to speakers and the let CJ buy us all dinner.

On the other hand if CJ plunks down $100K then yes the OP in fact won and maybe wil even cut a cut...

especially if cj buys us all dinner... tongue.gif
Quote:

Quote:

@craig...

The Pit is not what it is use to be IMHO. But not bad neither...

well that's disappointing... frown.gif i haven't been there in years, ever since they closed the krispy kreme factory that was a couple blocks down... used to be a pretty regular "lunch run" for us on weekends, hit the pit and get a dozen kk's... smile.gif

i hope the pit still has the "kitchen sink"...

- chris

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page