Comparison, Unbiased Review & Ranking of 12 High-End Home Cinema Audio Systems - Page 14 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #391 of 406 Old 09-01-2013, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Long thread... Up to page 35 I still haven't seen any measurements. Are there any?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 406 Old 09-22-2013, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

Long thread... Up to page 35 I still haven't seen any measurements. Are there any?

I'm wondering if it is the biggest internet joke ever produced.
post #393 of 406 Old 09-23-2013, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by psgcdn View Post

That would entail having a skill set that the 'reviewer' would not seem to possess.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #394 of 406 Old 02-19-2014, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Interesting that Procella Audio got such low scores, yet Dennis Erksine and Nyal Mellor use them in their HT designs.....hmmmmm

and no objective fact based measurements presented, just subjective scoring??
Really?

and importantly for any report to be reviewed and critique by peers;
author name? (to directly contact on Q's)
Test method/conditions
etc

Conclusion: Snake Oil, someone with lots of free time....

[edit]
After I post see Last Online: on 7/15/12 for the OP.
I'll report my post to Mod and ask this thread be locked, as it's no purpose.
post #395 of 406 Old 02-19-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

After I post see Last Online: on 7/15/12 for the OP.
I'll report my post to Mod and ask this thread be locked, as it's no purpose.
It was dead and buried until you resurrected it. wink.gif

post #396 of 406 Old 02-19-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Bill, what happens when I use tapatalk is at the bottom , past the last post, somehow a related thread comes up. So, I navigated to it that way and it got my curiosity. Then I read the embedded doc and responded.
So indeed I'm Guilty, in a sideways way.

Via my iPhone 5s & Tapatalk, LLAP
post #397 of 406 Old 04-06-2014, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi I am about to purchase a Steinway model S surround system. Was very happy with my Meridian 861, Klipsche Ultra IIs and 9Bsst in a 5.1 setup. I have always been a Klipsche fan, not as much nowadays though. Anyways, my installation guy told me these SL systems are the new generation of speakers both in stereo and HT. And since I was moving I am about to buy the whole system... already gave him some down payment. I mean I don't post much here, but I have been reading from this site since the early Oppo days (10 years ago? can't remember) So is this Steinway and Lyndoff thing a marketing play? Cause I am footing a lot of bills for the system. Since I live in Asia, no one can really afford the space to build a proper HT room, so this room correction thing and all digital tech got me on board. I have tested them and thought they were way too loud, but loud doesn't mean good right? Can some fellow brother help me out here, there is still a small chance I can limit my lost to only a stereo setup. Thanks.eek.gif

Been a USER of Hi Fi Equipment for more than 20 years. Definitely not an expert level, but a experienced novice.
post #398 of 406 Old 04-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Señor Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen_bj View Post

Hi I am about to purchase a Steinway model S surround system. Was very happy with my Meridian 861, Klipsche Ultra IIs and 9Bsst in a 5.1 setup. I have always been a Klipsche fan, not as much nowadays though. Anyways, my installation guy told me these SL systems are the new generation of speakers both in stereo and HT. And since I was moving I am about to buy the whole system... already gave him some down payment. I mean I don't post much here, but I have been reading from this site since the early Oppo days (10 years ago? can't remember) So is this Steinway and Lyndoff thing a marketing play? Cause I am footing a lot of bills for the system. Since I live in Asia, no one can really afford the space to build a proper HT room, so this room correction thing and all digital tech got me on board. I have tested them and thought they were way too loud, but loud doesn't mean good right? Can some fellow brother help me out here, there is still a small chance I can limit my lost to only a stereo setup. Thanks.eek.gif

You're a brave man posting for opinions on the Steinway Lyngdorf (note spelling wink.gif ) considering the course of this Thread. That said, at roughly $60K for the full Model S system you will certainly be getting the worlds best HTIB system. Paring it down to a $20K stereo setup might leave you wanting, so if you can pay the toll I would go for the full measure ...

Good Luck! smile.gif

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
post #399 of 406 Old 04-06-2014, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Get your deposit back. You'll be able to do better for less with some judicious shopping.
post #400 of 406 Old 04-06-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi I am about to purchase a Steinway model S surround system.
Why? Did you actually read this thread? rolleyes.gif

post #401 of 406 Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

First, I must say that, if you are seriously considering the S-L Model S system, you owe it to yourself to find an in-person audition of these speakers BEFORE you make the commitment to buy them. I have heard them twice; both times at audio shows, and I thought both times they were good, but not *great*. Having said that, I was not aware of the price of the system before I heard them. In retrospect, I think I would have been incredulous at the price, based on the sound I heard.

Second, I would not place any credibility on the "unbiased" reviews of the original poster of this thread. This guy made a completely unwarranted negative review of the Triad Platinums, only to have it later revealed that the Platinums he'd heard had been heavily modified from their factory state. They were being run in a bi-amplified configuration. The only way to bi-amp Triad Paltinums is to bypass their internal crossovers with external crossovers/amplification. It should be blatantly obvious that any time you bypass the internal factory crossovers, you inherently alter the "sound" of the speakers from their "factory" condition. To then review them as if they represent the speakers as made by the manufacturer is, to say the least, disingenuous.

In addition, he also made some ridiculously negative reviews of other speakers systems that are universally hailed as excellent, further undermining his own credibility, and his opinions as a reviewer.

Third, I am confused by this:
Quote:
Since I live in Asia, no one can really afford the space to build a proper HT room, so this room correction thing and all digital tech got me on board. I have tested them and thought they were way too loud, but loud doesn't mean good right? Can some fellow brother help me out here, there is still a small chance I can limit my lost to only a stereo setup. Thanks.eek.gif]

What have you "tested"? Room Correction, (RC), systems, or the S-L S System? If you've tested RC systems, and found them to be "too loud," that is a problem with the RC system implementation. No RC system should have an impact on the "loudness" of the system. RC systems should only correct the frequency and/or time domain response of the system in the room. It should have no affect whatsoever on the "loudness" of the system, except that it will make some frequencies louder or softer with respect to the entire frequency spectrum. Still, the overall loudness should remain the same after RC.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #402 of 406 Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Why? Did you actually read this thread? rolleyes.gif
I suspect he came here AFTER he placed the down payment.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #403 of 406 Old 04-10-2014, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thank you for your replies.

I did put down payment for the system, but since I am very close to the installation guys I am sure they can refund me the money.

I have actually auditioned the S-series twice, once in stereo and the second one in 7.2 mode. Both times I thought it was okay and both times (different dealers one in Hong Kong and the other time in their Singapore office) were played very loud. Seems like they are always trying to show how "loud" the system can be rather the details and crispness of the sound. I also auditioned the M-series in 7.2, again played super loud, had to tell him to turn down the vol. Again not really impressed and definitely not in awe...

So I guess the verdict is a no go? I am tempted to try the higher models but probably will stick with stereo then and keep my current system for HT.

They also sell a "in wall" series which is basically the M-series with matt black finish and the HT system cost 52,000 which I think is 5.2 system, need to check. Which includes 5 m-series speakers and 2 LS subwoofers. The LS sub is actually front firing and its also in-wall. I was hoping this would give me more of a punchy bass, but have not auditioned them yet.

The model C is just out of the world. Its 166,000 USD... I think you can get a Ferrari in the US for that no?

Anyways, would love to get your inputs. Thanks.

Please also go to this thread "Are Steinway and Lyngdorf Series S worth the money?"

There are comments from multiple ppl saying that the series S with LS sub is at a different league.

I think I really need to audition the LS sub before I write off SL systems.

What do you guys think?

Been a USER of Hi Fi Equipment for more than 20 years. Definitely not an expert level, but a experienced novice.
post #404 of 406 Old 04-10-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Both times I thought it was okay...

Again not really impressed and definitely not in awe...

Anyways, would love to get your inputs. Thanks.
Why do you need our input? Your own impressions, as stated above, ought to be more than enough, especially at this price point.

Lombardi said it:

My System

post #405 of 406 Old 04-10-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:

What do you guys think?

Oh I think you should spend many tens of thousands of dollars on a sound system you don't really care for. That is what I would do.
post #406 of 406 Old 04-10-2014, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You need to clarify you viewpoint on a "proper HT room", really.

I suggest you get some HT design consultation before doing anything else.

I've seen fantastic HT in Asia, you view seems too biased.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page