Comparison, Unbiased Review & Ranking of 12 High-End Home Cinema Audio Systems - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 406 Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
NewHTbuyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Denver
Posts: 537
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

It does not. rolleyes.gif
Let me make my meaning clear to you. It is my opinion that the OP, who has posted this in 3 different forums, is not new to audio boards in spite of his extremely low post counts. He may even have other user accounts, who knows? Another user account that comes in and sticks up for him, who's to say...

Umm..not sure what to say to this. I live in CO in the USA, not England. Go ahead and read my posts if you want to waste time.

You are definitely entitled to your opinion, as is the OP. I was mainly trying to point out that the initial reaction of you and other posters was to doubt that he is who he says he is and view his "report" as a marketing ploy. No doubt such tactics have been used before and you smelled something fishy. OK, fine, you have been on these boards way longer than I am, and thus have more experience with such underhanded tactics. What I saw was people piling on the OP before he had even had a chance to verify his identity. That is a crummy way to treat others, guilty until proven innocent if you get my drift.

Let's just go to our separate corners now. Maybe next time I won't be so naive when I see a thread like his and you won't be so skeptical until more facts are known.

NewHTbuyer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 406 Old 07-06-2012, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stevensctt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 1,360
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

Actually, I haven't participated in any AV forums to date because of all the politics, petty insults and jibes, and general childish behaviour. Because it's the Internet it is impossible to maintain an intellectual discussion.
So far, everyone is doing a spectacular job of proving I was absolutely right to avoid these forums like the plague, so don't expect me to be around for too long wink.gif

I liked your initial review. You either picked the right or wrong forum to post depending on your inclination. You certainly have been engaged if that was your goal.

You are a Renaissance man debating/arguing/discussing/bantering with 40+ year olds living in their Mother's basement. I hope you don't leave!
stevensctt is offline  
post #93 of 406 Old 07-06-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

You have never actually auditioned a Steinway audio system have you?
No need to - I know what the physics says it can do, and I trust that far more than your hyperbole.
Just more audiophile drivel and justification for their pretty, overpriced toys.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #94 of 406 Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 403
The problem is not you liking what you like, it is the reasoning that does not make sense. The speaker you say that sounds the best at and above reference can only play 114 dBs max at 1 meter. You say the room was huge, how far back were you listening from, any wall treatments, was their room EQ involved? Hitting 105 dBs peaks at the LP seems far fetched and if it could it would be compressing like crazy. This is the reason for the questioning, that is all. If you think about it all the speakers you said were bright could actually play reference without compression so maybe your ears just is not used to real dynamic peaks at loud levels. My room is 2100 cubic feet and any speaker that plays at 114 dBs max would blow up in my theater, ask me how I know.
MKtheater is online now  
post #95 of 406 Old 07-06-2012, 09:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

I have never claimed that my primary profession is in AV. In fact, I have already made very clear that my current business is property development; and prior to that nutritional science.
A/V has been a passion of mine since childhood. Think of it akin to asking someone who has played the piano since aged 7 whether or not they are skilled in playing the piano...
I am not claiming to the the fountain of knowledge with regards to all things A/V related, but I know a lot more than the next guy and I have designed and built countless systems over the years.
Furthermore, I was not aware I was on trial... and hence was not aware that I needed to prove I am a 'professional' regarding audio. I would have thought my history and the report itself speaks for itself.
And to come back to what I have been needing to repeat time and time again, please kindly take it for what it it, namely my opinion; you do not have to agree with it.
It's not like I'm claiming I'm MOSES or anything. Sheez!
How easy for you to criticise my due dilligence exercise and report. Since you are so critical, please kindly submit your report of similar due diligence process wherein you auditioned all these systems in exactly the same room... Oh what's that? You haven't completed it? Well, what about anyone else then? Anyone? Oh that's right NOBODY has to date yet completed such a due diligence comparison. When you HAVE you can criticise. Fair enough?
Do you actually realise the ridiculousness of what you are intimating? The only way to avoid what you bizarrely refer to as "major errors" would be to purchase all 12 audio systems, and then build a house containing 12 identical specially built rooms into which the 12 systems would be installed. And you think that is REASONABLE do you? confused.gif
So instead, you pooh-pooh my effort wherein I have done the best that can possibly be done with regards to minimising influencing factors such as differing volume levels, source material, listening position etc... mad.gif
Are you telling me that you can't remember how an audio system sounded that you have previously listened to? I simply can't believe some of this stuff that's being said here!
And ever heard of TAKING NOTES at the time of auditioning?
You need to read the FULL TEXT of that study; which states this:
"virtually all of the SACD and DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs— sometimes much better. Had we not “degraded” the sound to CD quality and blind-tested for audible differences, we would have been tempted to ascribe this sonic superiority to the recording processes used to make them."
If you are unable to tell the difference between CD Audio and SACD / DVD-A then I genuinely feel sorry for you.
I wasn't aware that it was! Am I still doing it? I have no idea! Blame my English teacher...

Erm... then I guess my writing style is truly bizarre... or perhaps you are just paranoid and seeing conspiracies where there are none? wink.gif

I'll just address a few points for those reading, but I don't ordinarily carry on a discussion with those whom I think are arguing in bad faith.

Here is what you wrote: "my opinion, whilst professional, is entirely impartial and unbiased." You don't have the background to make that claim.

At no point did I dispute your opinion; it is your integrity that I question. I could easily see someone favoring speakers like steinways, but your exalting description is hilariously over-the-top, and is a transparent give to your agenda. Next time you want to covertly sell something, read about this thing called 'subtlety'. And while you might not be moses, your comparison reads like you found the word of god and have come down from mount hi-fi to share it with the masses.

Moreover, notes are not a substitute for aural memory, as you well know. Back-to-back A/Bing over the same material is the only way to tell for sure. Echoic memory is a very short-term memory.

Your quote from that CD vs High resolution audibility study is a magnificent example of cherry-picking, and further evidence of your arguing in bad faith- oh but ever the salesman! That sentence is not talking about sampling rates and bit rates, its talking about completely different masters, but, of course, you understand that. For the same recording at different sample rates, no one could statistically tell the difference. This is found in the testing results and stated in the conclusion.

By the way....
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

Since you are so critical, please kindly submit your report of similar due diligence process wherein you auditioned all these systems in exactly the same room...
when I did do a comparison between audio equipment, while I was far from meticulous, it was in the same room, and I was more diligent than to simply rely on notes. Furthermore, I was careful to enumerate the shortcomings of my comparison, of which there were many, including my own biases. I suppose that is a luxury for those who aren't hustling some esoteric, over-priced audiophilia.
shadyJ is offline  
post #96 of 406 Old 07-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member
 
wlhungdude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Jonesborough, TN
Posts: 560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 55
My smoke alarm goes off whenever it detects someone trying to blow smoke up my ass...

and this thread has it ringing loud and clear.

...what a long, strange trip its been.
wlhungdude is offline  
post #97 of 406 Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ifor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: La Quinta, CA
Posts: 2,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 45
ifor is offline  
post #98 of 406 Old 07-06-2012, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42

Using TAS as some sort of 'proof' of audio quality is like asking the whore you just screwed whether you're any good in bed. And believing her.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #99 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Advanced Member
 
Hudda's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA.
Posts: 583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
^^^

Exactly. My favorite line of bs from Mr. Greene, parroted by the OP and S/L marketing literature, is the bit about how the "mains" are incredibly revealing and dynamic, yet somehow they smooth out edgy source material. rolleyes.gif Pick one because you cannot magically have both. Highly revealing loudspeakers will always make recording/mastering flaws apparent.
raaj likes this.
Hudda is offline  
post #100 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHTbuyer View Post

Umm..not sure what to say to this. I live in CO in the USA, not England. Go ahead and read my posts if you want to waste time.
You are definitely entitled to your opinion, as is the OP. I was mainly trying to point out that the initial reaction of you and other posters was to doubt that he is who he says he is and view his "report" as a marketing ploy. No doubt such tactics have been used before and you smelled something fishy. OK, fine, you have been on these boards way longer than I am, and thus have more experience with such underhanded tactics. What I saw was people piling on the OP before he had even had a chance to verify his identity. That is a crummy way to treat others, guilty until proven innocent if you get my drift.
Let's just go to our separate corners now. Maybe next time I won't be so naive when I see a thread like his and you won't be so skeptical until more facts are known.

Hey NewHTbuyer,

RE: "What I saw was people piling on the OP before he had even had a chance to verify his identity" - Yes, unfortunately this is exactly what has happened; and it hasn't stopped either. wink.gif

I'd like to say thank you for standing up for treating others decently; however, with regards to a public Internet forum like this, I am not unsurprised at this childish behaviour, which includes puerile petty jibes and insults. This is precisely why up to date I have not chosen to participate in these forums as my interest solely lies with imparting interesting and relevant information onto others and partaking in adult intelligent discussion; and unfortunately 90% of the posts in this thread have comprised babies throwing their toys out the pram and acting like I have insulted their RELIGION or something; when in fact the reality is that I am the VERY FIRST person to publish a report of such a comprehensive review and analysis of all the top high-end home cinema audio brands, all readily available in the UK. I would have been nice to have people welcome my publishing a report on such a due dilligence exercise, but these individuals seems incapable of adult intelligent discussion and seem only able to hurl insults and be deliberately obnoxiously argumentative and obtuse; and criticise everything, when most of them have clearly demonstrated they haven't even bothered to read my report properly and have never themselves conducted a similiar exercise, which I would ask that they do, and as such I would ask (AGAIN) that they conduct themselves in a professional manner, but note how this plea will almost certainly fall on deaf ears and the puerile behaviour will continue.

I believe the subject of whether or not I am who I say I am (which I have to say I find somewhat hilarious) has now been proven. I am the Managing Director of SCEPTRE PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT LTD in the UK; who's qualifications include Nutritional & Food Science; and who's A/V experience entails over 20 years stemming from childhood interest in high-end music hifi to current obsession with home cinema, including designing and building very high-end cinemas. As such, I am indeed of the rare position of being truly unbiased and impartial when it comes to AV Brands; something which I believe CANNOT be said about all those who are doing all the attacking and criticising... who I note include representatives of AV Equipment Manufacturers, so OF COURSE they are never going to agree with my opinion. Please kindly note that I have never claimed to be a Sound Engineer; however, my 20 years AV experience including designing and building high end audio systems most certainly qualifies me to be able to carry out reviews of audio equipment. Anyone who says otherwise is a moron.

I also believe the subject of whether or not I have auditioned these audio systems (again something which I find pretty hilarious) has also been substantiated.

As has my "professionalism", which I have just explained above.

I am VERY happy to answer anyones questions, but would ask that people please start to act your age (assuming we don't in fact have a bunch of children online with us) and keep matters to intelligent discussion. smile.gif
madboynutter is offline  
post #101 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

I'll just address a few points for those reading, but I don't ordinarily carry on a discussion with those whom I think are arguing in bad faith.

How exactly am I "arguing in bad faith"???confused.gif

Perhaps because I am standing my ground and not giving in to the playground bullies? rolleyes.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Here is what you wrote: "my opinion, whilst professional, is entirely impartial and unbiased." You don't have the background to make that claim..

OK let's put this to bed once and for all shall we?

RE: MY PROFESSIONALISM WITH REGARDS TO A/V - My 20 years' A/V experience including designing and building high end audio systems most certainly qualifies me to be able to carry out reviews of audio equipment. Do you disagree? Please kindly confirm.

RE: MY BEING ENTIRELY IMPARTIAL AND UNBIASED - My name is Nigel; and I am the Managing Director of SCEPTRE PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT LTD in the UK; who's prior business was ULTRALIFE LTD, a manufacturer of Nutritional and Sports Supplements. Hence, I do not sell any A/V equipment direct to the public, and I have no affiliation whatsoever with any specific brand of A/V Equipment, and consequently by definition am indeed of the rare position of being truly unbiased and impartial when it comes to AV Brands; something which I believe CANNOT be said about all those who are doing all the attacking and criticising, such as YOU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

...it is your integrity that I question. I could easily see someone favoring speakers like steinways, but your exalting description is hilariously over-the-top, and is a transparent give to your agenda. Next time you want to covertly sell something, read about this thing called 'subtlety'.

But you know my identity; I have just repeated it for the umpteenth time; so, given I am the Managing Director of a Property Development Business, please kindly explain exactly how I am in any regard a SALESMAN OF AV EQUIPMENT? Oh that's right... I'm NOT. rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

And while you might not be moses, your comparison reads like you found the word of god and have come down from mount hi-fi to share it with the masses.

Well EXCUUUUUUSE ME for being passionate about home cinema audio quality! Since I am clearly obsessional about home cinema isn't it kind of OBVIOUS that I going to be pretty opinionated? wink.gif

Furthermore, I will repeat (again for the umpteenth millionth time) that it is my opinion; you are perfectly entitled to your own that clearly differs. So instead of trying to bludgeon me to death that my opinion is somehow "WRONG" how you simple respect the fact that that I am perfectly entitled to my opinion and let's agree to disagree and shake hands as friends, OK? smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

Moreover, notes are not a substitute for aural memory, as you well know. Back-to-back A/Bing over the same material is the only way to tell for sure...By the way....
when I did do a comparison between audio equipment, while I was far from meticulous, it was in the same room, and I was more diligent than to simply rely on notes. Furthermore, I was careful to enumerate the shortcomings of my comparison, of which there were many, including my own biases...

So let me get this straight, you are STILL criticising me for not conducting my auditioning of 12 high-end home cinema audio systems back-to-back and all in the same room??? rolleyes.gif

What exactly does your comparision of a singular item of AV Equipment with your existing equipment which you conducted in the same room illustrate? I shall tell you... it shows that it is easy and simple to conduct a comparison of a singular itemof AV Equipment with your existing equipment in the same room. SO WHAT? This information is in no way relevant, because it is completely not feasible to do that for all 12 other these high-end audio systems.

But since you will indubitably persist in pursuing this matter Mister All-Negative-Criticism why don't YOU try to do that with all 12 of these high-end audio systems listed in my report and see if you find it so easy, let alone possible... what you will find is that what you are criticising me for not doing is IMPOSSIBLE bar purchasing all 12 audio systems, and because you cannot set up 12 complete audio systems in the same room at the same time, nor quickly enough change equipment over, set it up and calibrate it properly between auditions, to meet your time limit for aural memory, then you would have to custom build a new housing development that contained 12 identical rooms for you to then install all 12 systems; so basically you are looking at a cost into the millions of bucks and at least a years' worth of time. Well I'm sorry but you need to understand that given the circumstances I have done the very best that was possible without going to these ridiculous measures, and hence since you yourself cannot and would not do this you are bang out of order for criticising me as such mister. So I suggest you let this one drop because if you persist in arguing that I should have used the same room for auditioning all 12 systems you will only embarrass yourself further tongue.gif
madboynutter is offline  
post #102 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlhungdude View Post

My smoke alarm goes off whenever it detects someone trying to blow smoke up my ass...
and this thread has it ringing loud and clear.

hey wlhungdude (brilliant usename by the way!!!),

It's MY OPINION. You don't have to agree with it; and you are perfectly entitled to yours. smile.gif
madboynutter is offline  
post #103 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
RMK!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 95608
Posts: 5,683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 254
You ^ are absolutely entitled to your opinions and when you make those opinions public via an “Unbiased Review & Ranking” document on a topic related internet forum, you should expect feedback. How’s that working out for you?

HToM

"Well, la di fricken da."!
RMK! is offline  
post #104 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I hope the OP has a Chinese visa on his passport because the hole he's continuing to dig should have him emerging there shortly.

That said, one of the most entertaining threads in a while, but for all the wrong reasons.

bfreedma is offline  
post #105 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member
 
shadyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6,352
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 446
After writing a comparison like that, you just aren't going to convince many readers that you don't have an interest in promoting a particular product. Whatever the truth is, your prose was too exorbitant and calculated for anyone but the most credulous to take you seriously. This is your mistake, regardless of your motive, so don't blame me or anyone else for responding with skepticism. And it's not like you couldn't possibly have some kind of financial stake in steinway whatever your day job might be.

You should have been more upfront about your lack of formal training or business experience in audio before declaring yourself a professional in that field. By your description, you are an enthusiast. There are a lot of guys here who have more audio expertise and experience than you who would not call themselves a professional. You should have been more upfront about the shortcomings in your comparison methodology. For starters, it is anything but "Direct". Using notes to compare systems in different locations over a period of months is a profoundly unreliable way to compare audio systems. The fact that you are not willing to acknowledge that yet claim to be competent in evaluating audio systems is reason enough to dismiss your entire comparison. I am not saying you need to place all 12 systems in a room to do a worthwhile comparison; I am saying you can't present your vaunted note-taking comparison method as infallible and expect to receive a shred of credibility, especially after your overwrought, worshiping appraisal of the steinway systems.
shadyJ is offline  
post #106 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ View Post

After writing a comparison like that, you just aren't going to convince many readers that you don't have an interest in promoting a particular product. Whatever the truth is, your prose was too exorbitant and calculated for anyone but the most credulous to take you seriously. This is your mistake, regardless of your motive, so don't blame me or anyone else for responding with skepticism. And it's not like you couldn't possibly have some kind of financial stake in steinway whatever your day job might be.
You should have been more upfront about your lack of formal training or business experience in audio before declaring yourself a professional in that field. By your description, you are an enthusiast. There are a lot of guys here who have more audio expertise and experience than you who would not call themselves a professional. You should have been more upfront about the shortcomings in your comparison methodology. For starters, it is anything but "Direct". Using notes to compare systems in different locations over a period of months is a profoundly unreliable way to compare audio systems. The fact that you are not willing to acknowledge that yet claim to be competent in evaluating audio systems is reason enough to dismiss your entire comparison. I am not saying you need to place all 12 systems in a room to do a worthwhile comparison; I am saying you can't present your vaunted note-taking comparison method as infallible and expect to receive a shred of credibility, especially after your overwrought, worshiping appraisal of the steinway systems.

You know what? I think I'm going to start calling you MR HAPPY, because you are in serious need of taking a HAPPY PILL. I bet you are a blast at dinner parties... NOT! wink.gif

It seems you are seeking a pissing contest... well sorry to disappoint but I am frankly not interested. You are of the opinion that over 20 years A/V experience does not qualify me to post my opinions on A/V equipment that I have auditioned, despite the fact that there are far less experienced individuals than I who review A/V equipment for magazines; well, let's agree to disagree, OK? I think that my latest Ultimate Home Cinema build will more than demonstrate that I do in fact know more than a little teensy bit about A/V. rolleyes.gif

And RE "I am not saying you need to place all 12 systems in a room to do a worthwhile comparison" - Erm, sorry but go back and read your own posts the inference of what you've been saying is EXACTLY that; and I have repeatedly explained WHY.

RE: "you can't present your vaunted note-taking comparison method as infallible" - Sorry, I have NEVER claimed that my auditioning process was absolutely ideal. I have readily acknowledged that the differing rooms will have been an influencing factor to an extent on audio performance. What I have done is the best that can be feasibly achieved. Yet this is not good enough for MR HAPPY, who it should be noted has never done a similar due dilligence exercise himself. MR HAPPY repeatedly criticises that the same room was not used and there was too long a time period between auditons; and consequently the only way such an exercise could have been carried out to MY HAPPY's totally infeasbile standards is to purchase all 12 high-end audio systems and construct a house with 12 identical rooms contained therein. Well sorry to burst your bubble MR HAPPY, but being critical that I have not done something that is completely infeasible is wholly unreasonable and quite frankly stupid.

So if my method of comprehensively auditioning these 12 high-end audio systems is not satisfactory to your totally infeasble standards, then I again invite you to carry out a similarly comprehensive evaluation of all these 12 high-end audio systems conducted to your infeasible standards, which will of course require you to audition all 12 audio systems in identical rooms and immediately after each other. Let me know how you get on and I look forward to reading your report. wink.gif

Or alternatively, why not simply take my report as it is intended, namely my opinion from which you can decide to taken on board and/or dismiss as little or as much as you like. You are entitled to your own opinion, which I wholeheartedly respect, I only ask that you reciprocate, instead of flicking your poo at me like a monkey.
madboynutter is offline  
post #107 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Senior Member
 
toslat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

You are of the opinion that over 20 years A/V experience does not qualify me to post my opinions on A/V equipment that I have auditioned, despite the fact that there are far less experienced individuals than I who review A/V equipment for magazines; well, let's agree to disagree, OK? I think that my latest Ultimate Home Cinema build will more than demonstrate that I do in fact know more than a little teensy bit about A/V. rolleyes.gif.
Cos there is a difference between having 20yrs of experience, and having a 1yr experience 20 times.
toslat is offline  
post #108 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK! View Post

You ^ are absolutely entitled to your opinions and when you make those opinions public via an “Unbiased Review & Ranking” document on a topic related internet forum, you should expect feedback. How’s that working out for you?

Very interesting actually, thanks smile.gif

All the brainless obnoxious attacks are highly entertaining, and of course expected given it is a public Internet forum. biggrin.gif

I've pretty much concluded that there is no-one on this forum capable or interested in having an intelligent discussion; but you never know, someone might surprise me. wink.gif
madboynutter is offline  
post #109 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toslat View Post

Cos there is a difference between having 20yrs of experience, and having a 1yr experience 20 times.

Care to explain that nonsensical statement? smile.gif
madboynutter is offline  
post #110 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

The problem is not you liking what you like, it is the reasoning that does not make sense. The speaker you say that sounds the best at and above reference can only play 114 dBs max at 1 meter. You say the room was huge, how far back were you listening from, any wall treatments, was their room EQ involved? Hitting 105 dBs peaks at the LP seems far fetched and if it could it would be compressing like crazy. This is the reason for the questioning, that is all. If you think about it all the speakers you said were bright could actually play reference without compression so maybe your ears just is not used to real dynamic peaks at loud levels. My room is 2100 cubic feet and any speaker that plays at 114 dBs max would blow up in my theater, ask me how I know.

I don't know the exact room dimensions but it was very large; and I used a SPL METER to confirm dBs were both at and then subsequently above reference levels.

I am not a sound engineer and despite all the accusations I don't work for Steinway so I can't explain how it achieves those volume levels. I know it sounds crazy, but the Steinway systems go very, very, very loud indeed. smile.gif

Something else equally bananas is that the drivers on the LS Boundary Woofers hardly move at all when the volume it set to these very high levels; I have no idea how that works either.

I readily put my hands up and state that I don't know HOW the system outputs such high SPL with the S-15 being such a tiny speaker; however, I can and have observed that they do and have confirmed this via use of an SPL meter. wink.gif

BTW with regards to my latest take on the Ultimate Home Cinema, the room size is 4,720 cubic feet and I'm installing a Steinway S-Series Audio System; and I have it confirmed that it will quite happily output audio at and above reference levels in that size room. smile.gif
madboynutter is offline  
post #111 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 10:54 AM
Senior Member
 
toslat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

Care to explain that nonsensical statement? smile.gif
Its quite simple: 'years of experience' is a measure of knowledge, and not of time. That you have been experiencing something for 20yrs does not necessarily give you '20yrs of experience', talk less of making you a professional in a field. Example cooking the same meal for 20 years does not give you 20yrs of cooking experience, talk less of making you a professional chef.

capish?
toslat is offline  
post #112 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

No need to - I know what the physics says it can do, and I trust that far more than your hyperbole.
Just more audiophile drivel and justification for their pretty, overpriced toys.

Sorry to rain on your parade Mr Physics Professor, but care to explain how I measured via use of an SPL meter that the SPL outputted by the Steinway audio systems was at and subsequently above reference levels? smile.gif

I think you need to go speak with the English Professor and have him explain the meaning of the word HYPERBOLE to you, since there's no exaggeration here whatsoever. Because I confirmed the SPL via use of an SPL meter that's a FACT, not a HYPERBOLE professor. wink.gif

And thank you for confirming what I had already deduced, namely that you have never in fact even listened to a Steinway system, and hence are passing judgement on a system that you have never listened to, which is akin to reviewing a book that you've never read... your credibility... window... out tongue.gif
madboynutter is offline  
post #113 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by toslat View Post

Its quite simple: 'years of experience' is a measure of knowledge, and not of time. That you have been experiencing something for 20yrs does not necessarily give you '20yrs of experience', talk less of making you a professional in a field. Example cooking the same meal for 20 years does not give you 20yrs of cooking experience, talk less of making you a professional chef.
capish?

In which case thank you for confirming that I have 20 years' A/V experience wink.gif

And with regards to your analogy you have in fact entirely proved my point, in that FOOD CRITICS haven't undergone training as a Professional Chef... capish? biggrin.gif
madboynutter is offline  
post #114 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
bfreedma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: 9 iron from Philly
Posts: 1,952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

Very interesting actually, thanks smile.gif
All the brainless obnoxious attacks are highly entertaining, and of course expected given it is a public Internet forum. biggrin.gif
I've pretty much concluded that there is no-one on this forum capable or interested in having an intelligent discussion; but you never know, someone might surprise me. wink.gif

Actually, I see a lot of intelligent questions about your "methodology". What seems to be lacking is intelligent answers or process.

What you wrote is an opinion paper which is fine. Your attempt to cast it as something else is the issue and it's being questioned by a community with far more audio science knowledge than you've exhibited to date. The problems began with the thread title, as your review is none of what you claim (direct, unbiased, comparison). Sorry that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's the reality of the situation.

Your lashing out over legitimate questions isn't helping you.
NADz likes this.
bfreedma is offline  
post #115 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Senior Member
 
NADz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When we see a full set of pictures of your new cinema project with measurements then you might gain some credibility. Because with your 20 years experience in audio you should be able to provide this with no problem at all when your finished.
NADz is offline  
post #116 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaveav View Post

Actually, they're not the only ones who have done it this way.

Please kindly confirm which other brand operates the same way as Steinway Lyngdorf audio systems.smile.gif
madboynutter is offline  
post #117 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
sound dropouts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 1,401
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
And how many other audio systems have 100% eliminated the audio quality degradation caused by converting the digital signal to analogue at the pre-amp stage and then amplifying in the analogue domain? That's right... NONE.

Panasonic SA-XR55.
sound dropouts is offline  
post #118 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member
 
saeyedoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: San Antonio
Posts: 950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by madboynutter View Post

Please kindly confirm which other brand operates the same way as Steinway Lyngdorf audio systems.smile.gif
Doesn't Meridian's system work that way?
saeyedoc is online now  
post #119 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Senior Member
 
NADz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 270
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound dropouts View Post

Quote:
And how many other audio systems have 100% eliminated the audio quality degradation caused by converting the digital signal to analogue at the pre-amp stage and then amplifying in the analogue domain? That's right... NONE.
Panasonic SA-XR55.

Sony was also doing this in the mid nineties with SDDS. Thanks for mentioning the Panasonic. I dont know why the OP thinks this is so special.
NADz is offline  
post #120 of 406 Old 07-07-2012, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
madboynutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

When we see a full set of pictures of your new cinema project with measurements then you might gain some credibility. Because with your 20 years experience in audio you should be able to provide this with no problem at all when your finished.

Well, now we're getting somewhere! smile.gif

I will most certainly be providing this wink.gif

I will in fact be providing fully comprehensive information, drawings and photos with regards to the design, construction, build, setup and testing of the Cinema. smile.gif

Here's a couple of photos as a taster, which illustrate that the room is pretty damn big; the projection screen is going to be 4.2 metres / 13 foot 9 inches wide biggrin.gif

450

450
madboynutter is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off