Build Me a System (Also Need Your Opinions) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I preordered the Outlaw RR2150 when it was first introduced. It is an awesome music machine. I have Vandersteen 1 speakers and they are amazing but expensive but I think that Vandersteen 2c will fit your budget. My cd player is a Shanling tube player, not sure of the model. This is my dedicated music system and completely blows away my Home theater for music.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by br00mmmm View Post

So many brands... so many speakers... so confused...
From all the replies I'm gathering that purchasing speakers is fairly subjective?

You can objectively rule out speakers based on measurements, but in the end what matters is how they sound in your room. So yes, it is highly subjective.

My journey to find the "perfect" speaker
Dr. Olive's Blog

No matter what measurements tell us, a loudspeaker isn’t good until it
sounds good. - Dr. Floyd Toole
post #33 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 07:34 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:

So many brands... so many speakers... so confused...
From all the replies I'm gathering that purchasing speakers is fairly subjective?

Okay, when you first start looking for speakers, it seems pretty simple. We are so used to thinking in terms of good, better, best. Hyundai, Toyota, Lexus, Bentley... You get what I mean. But speakers are different because there are so many types: monitors, floorstanders, planars... There's all sorts of drivers, materials, manufacturers... It can make you nauseous!

If I was setting up a 2-channel, I would go for the Outlaw I mentioned and some B&W Nautilus 805 monitor speakers. Add to that a nice sub and you'll have some real enjoyment.

Good luck!
post #34 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm...

Would creating a list of possible choices and then making a poll/discussion thread be advantageous?
post #35 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 08:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanaticalism View Post

You know what is funny about this thread? That aside from one poster all everyone did was recommend the speakers they own without considering anything the OP requested, which is a speaker that plays LOUD. In order to achieve this, he needs an efficient speaker like the Klipsch that were recommended.
Kef, Gallo, Sierra or any of the other inefficient speakers recommended are not efficient speakers.
OP, you have to look at companies like:
JTR
Seaton Sound
Klipsch
JBL
Chase

Or any other speaker above 93db sensitivity.

I agree. First we need to know what listening distance the OPer has. 100db at the seats can require a lot from a speaker if the distance is very far. So first we have to know the basics requirements and obstacles, like SPL at the seats, price limit and listening distance. We have two of those factors, but need the one. Those factors will determine what speakers can even be considered. I will tell you this, if the listening distance is over 10', then it will eliminate many speakers.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #36 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 794
Quote:

Hmm...
Would creating a list of possible choices and then making a poll/discussion thread be advantageous?

Nope. People vote in polls for what they like, and so you'll get a popularity vote that will not necessarily be a fit for you.

The best thing you can do is spend a day and visit some high end audio stores. Listen to some speakers and find out what you like.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #37 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 10:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Quote:

Hmm...

You would still be stuck on a merry-go-round.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #38 of 45 Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I agree. First we need to know what listening distance the OPer has. 100db at the seats can require a lot from a speaker if the distance is very far. So first we have to know the basics requirements and obstacles, like SPL at the seats, price limit and listening distance. We have two of those factors, but need the one. Those factors will determine what speakers can even be considered. I will tell you this, if the listening distance is over 10', then it will eliminate many speakers.

I'm sitting just over half a metre away from my current speakers.
post #39 of 45 Old 07-11-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm sitting just over half a metre away from my current speakers.

Half a meter each from the front L/R? Is that right? Tower speakers aren't going to work well at that close a distance.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #40 of 45 Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Half a meter each from the front L/R? Is that right? Tower speakers aren't going to work well at that close a distance.

The seating position would be rearranged to suit whichever speakers I buy. Space isn't a problem.
post #41 of 45 Old 07-12-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Then it seems like you would be safe going with many of the towers mentioned here that were previously described as not sensitive enough. If you are sitting 8 or 10 feet away, something like the Kef Q900 or Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 Tower should have plenty of output.

If you couple speakers like that with the HK 3490 or Outlaw RR2150 and later decide you need more power, you can always use that unit as a pre-amp and add a separate power amp.

post #42 of 45 Old 07-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Soundfield Monitor 1's are definitely worth a look. It beats out some very high end stuff for me, and uses a KEF Coax, which is very room friendly. I agree with going for the best 2 channel you can afford now, I have a multichannel system, but the heart and soul are the fronts, and I listen 2 channel mostly. Get the fronts right, and the rest will come. If I didn't go down this road then Duke's stuff over at Audiokinesis would have been a go to. I also am giving away my preference, it's very interesting to compare point source/controlled directivity speakers, with standard cone and dome/ribbon. I wish I would have made this comparison earlier myself and saved some money.
post #43 of 45 Old 07-13-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslate View Post

Soundfield Monitor 1's are definitely worth a look.

^ Good recommendation. The designer of those speakers is offering a tour right now. If you sign up the speakers will be shipped to you to evaluate in your own home; then you pay to ship them to the next individual on the tour list. I was on the list, but I realized I didn't have $90 to throw away on shipping costs (those suckers are heavy), so I passed for now. Perhaps this Fall...

Dr. Olive's Blog

post #44 of 45 Old 07-13-2012, 07:03 AM

Hey Nuance. If I remember right you may be a part of the of the SE WI crew. I almost came up with my scan raal monitors a couple years ago, anyhow I have the soundfields now too. If you do the monitor thing this year let me know. The only thing scaring me was word of the spl's of the tower group. But that gtg looked to be very cool. Anyhow I am mostly an AC person, and am not too active here.
post #45 of 45 Old 07-13-2012, 03:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslate View Post

Hey Nuance. If I remember right you may be a part of the of the SE WI crew. I almost came up with my scan raal monitors a couple years ago, anyhow I have the soundfields now too. If you do the monitor thing this year let me know. The only thing scaring me was word of the spl's of the tower group. But that gtg looked to be very cool. Anyhow I am mostly an AC person, and am not too active here.

Yup, that's me. We did listen pretty loud at the GTG, plus we had a failing left channel monoblock (unknown at the time), but it was still fun. We'd love to have you join us for the next event.

Dr. Olive's Blog

Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page