mains and center - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For a 5.1 system I have already have an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver and I have some motion 4's I can use as rears and a Definitive Technology - ProSub 800. I'm looking at the JBL ES80's for about $277 for the pair and I was wondering what you guys thought of these, or can I find a higher quality pair of bookshelfs that would work for about the same price and give a better sound? It's a basement viewing/listening area about 15' x 25' with a 7.5' ceiling. Currently I'm using the Motion 4's as mains they just don't seem to provide any enough mid or low range range sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I think you would get much better sound with a pair of KEF C3 monitors, which you can get for $329 at the KEF Direct website.

They have frequency response down to 54 Hz, and the sub can fill in below that frequency nicely.

If you spend $399 for the KEF iQ30 speakers, you will get even better system performance. They are also excellent for their price. Since your room is fairly large, the iQ30 would probably be the best choice overall if that price is OK for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraant View Post

For a 5.1 system I have already have an Onkyo TX-SR607 receiver and I have some motion 4's I can use as rears and a Definitive Technology - ProSub 800. I'm looking at the JBL ES80's for about $277 for the pair and I was wondering what you guys thought of these, or can I find a higher quality pair of bookshelfs that would work for about the same price and give a better sound? It's a basement viewing/listening area about 15' x 25' with a 7.5' ceiling. Currently I'm using the Motion 4's as mains they just don't seem to provide any enough mid or low range range sound.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
I can do the IQ's would I gain anything by purchasing the IQ70's? For the 30's I would have them about 3.5' - 4' apart on either side of my TV on the stand and for the 70's I would be able to move them farther apart off the TV stand. Any thoughts on a center?
post #4 of 5 Old 07-05-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraant View Post

I can do the IQ's would I gain anything by purchasing the IQ70's? For the 30's I would have them about 3.5' - 4' apart on either side of my TV on the stand and for the 70's I would be able to move them farther apart off the TV stand. Any thoughts on a center?

The iQ70 would be a good deal, and this is the center
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882156010

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 AM

Liked: 14
Yes, you definitely want to get the iQ70's over the 30's.

Tower speakers are always going to beat bookshelves in giving you the complete range of sound and filling a large room more effortlessly. The benefit from being able to put them farther apart would be worth it alone as well, optimally you want to make an equilateral triangle with your front speakers and listening position.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page