post #31 of 47 Old 07-07-2012, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I still love Baghdad Bobs broadcasts, guaranteed a barrel of laughs.wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Meanwhile, I've enjoyed cschang and AJinFLA's civilized discussion because they are trying to get at a better understanding of subwoofer integration.
Curtis obviously is. My understanding is quite sufficient and precisely why my M1s are full ranged...and why I don't have to make excuses about poor bass "rooms" show after show.smile.gif.
IOW, demonstrable, real, not cyber typing.
Quote:

(even if it has gone off topic)
If the topic is sound related, it isn't off topic.

I'll finish with my strongest appeal to ultimate authority possible:
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman FEB 2012 View Post

Your speakers are -3db at 35 Hz. (free space, no boundary loading, which extends the response lower)....The response of my speakers is about the same as yours; almost identical. I have them set to operate full-range (below 35hz in room).

cheers,

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJinFLA View Post

Curtis obviously is. My understanding is quite sufficient and precisely why my M1s are full ranged...and why I don't have to make excuses about poor bass "rooms" show after show.smile.gif.

I'm not going to pick sides here between you two (lol). I meant for the rest of us who have much to learn smile.gif

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #33 of 47 Old 07-07-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
AJ doesn't want to explain his position of placing the subwoofer(s) with the mains.

There is plenty of documentation out there on subwoofer placement and integration from well respected sources for which people can decide for themselves.
Nethawk and Billy p like this.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #34 of 47 Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 256
It's SO nice that you two agree on so much. More of this kind of harmony would be an inspiration to us all.
post #35 of 47 Old 07-07-2012, 09:33 AM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

AJ doesn't want to explain his position of placing the subwoofer(s) with the mains.
I not only explain it repeatedly in laymans language for those with sufficient comprehension skills (so obviously not all), I demonstrate it, year after year, room after room. Talk and Walk. Sorry, that's the best I can do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschang View Post

There is plenty of documentation out there on subwoofer placement and integration from well respected sources for which people can decide for themselves.
And painfully obvious no guarantee of comprehension! smile.gif
post #36 of 47 Old 07-07-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 77
AJ...you forgot to reply to post #26.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1418886/kef-q-series-advice#post_22195431
Quote:

This is really interesting coming from someone who has repeatedly offered subwoofer integration advice that goes against the best practices the rest of the world agrees on rolleyes.gif
Depending on how AJ replies to post #26, he is doing the same thing.
Quote:

I not only explain it repeatedly in laymans language for those with sufficient comprehension skills (so obviously not all), I demonstrate it, year after year, room after room. Talk and Walk. Sorry, that's the best I can do.
Interesting, AJ asked Bob to back up his claims with some sort of proof other than personal experience, but when asked to do the same, personal experience is the best he can do. rolleyes.gifsmile.gif
Quote:

And painfully obvious no guarantee of comprehension! smile.gif
AJ, if you don't remember or comprehend them, just google "subwoofer placement". Easy to find and re-read. smile.gif

-curtis

Owner of

Volunteer Mod at the

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #37 of 47 Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM

Liked: 10
i found it funny that after reading all of this post, and then clicking on AJ's most recent posting, he actually references positioning the sub in the best place you can. lol.

too funny not to mention- sorry

"Leave them on large and then position the sub to get the smoothest bass you can. Statistically, you have a much, much greater chance of achieving perceptually better, smoother bass at your seat and others in your listening area, by utilizing more, not less LF sources.
The only exception to this is if the main speaker is inept at producing LF. Not the case in your scenario."

cheers,

AJ
post #38 of 47 Old 10-12-2012, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I am looking into getting a good sound system, but little by little. My wants are more than my funds. I am looking into the Kef Q Series. I want to only spend $1000 to start. I can get the Kef Q500 (2 pair) and Q200 for $1000 or get the Q700 (2 pair) for $1000. I can spend a little extra and get the Q900 for $1200. My set up is going to be in my new theater room which is not that big, which is 13x11ft. I am using a 110in fixed frame projector screen in my theater room. The speakers are going to be used for movies and gaming.

If you can fit an iQ30 in your centre, then buy two pairs from KEF direct at $350 each, total $700 for your front three plus 1 spare.

Then buy a nice sub-woofer.

post #39 of 47 Old 10-13-2012, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 366
I'm curious what the original poster decided to get.

It's aways disappointing to me when a simple post/thread degrades into bickering. I wouldn't be surprised if the OP stopped visiting this thread.frown.gif

That said, regardless of what one thinks of AJ personally or his posting style, I can assure you that his speakers are the real deal and worthy of serious consideration. Based on my first hand listening experience, the man does know what he's doing. My review of the M1 can be read here (post #118):

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417246/soundfield-audio-monitor-1/90

post #40 of 47 Old 10-19-2012, 12:32 PM

So Q900 or RF82 ??????!!
post #41 of 47 Old 10-19-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawPah View Post

So Q900 or RF82 ??????!!
I say M1 or LS 50

The 8" driver in the M1 does not behave like a traditional subwoofer, and it is adjustable. Of course I am biased since I own the M1. It is very interesting to me that folks in audio can have arguments similar to what I witnessed while studying philosophy. In both philosophy and audio I think that first hand experience trumps thought that revolves around one narrow fixed axis. In short, greater first hand experience with the items in question is needed. Personally I need to hear the LS 50, and wish there was more of a scene in Chicago!!!
post #42 of 47 Old 04-08-2013, 02:00 PM

Hi I'm new to avs and I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong thread but I'm building a 5.1 sound system and so far I have the kef q700's and the 300's my source is my ps3 and my rogers next box 2.0 hdpvr my receiver is an onkyo txnr809 and I was wondering if I need a preamp cuz I will also be getting the q600 center and the q400 sub so my question is can the onkyo txnr809 power my set up or do I need a amp thanks in advance for your help
post #43 of 47 Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan82 View Post

Hi I'm new to avs and I'm sorry if I'm in the wrong thread but I'm building a 5.1 sound system and so far I have the kef q700's and the 300's my source is my ps3 and my rogers next box 2.0 hdpvr my receiver is an onkyo txnr809 and I was wondering if I need a preamp cuz I will also be getting the q600 center and the q400 sub so my question is can the onkyo txnr809 power my set up or do I need a amp thanks in advance for your help

Unless you are planning on playing a reference level in a really large room then no, you do not "need" an amp. Your AVR will provide plenty of power for your needs.

Klipsch RF-62II, RC-500, RS-400, SVS PC12+,
Def Tech SC8000
Harman Kardon AVR 1600
PS3, Apple TV, Sharp 70" Qattron
post #44 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 11:24 AM

Thanks kini62 another question should I plug my q300's
post #45 of 47 Old 04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan82 View Post

Thanks kini62 another question should I plug my q300's

Probably not. I'm guessing that you're using the Q300 as surrounds, there is no need to plug them. This would dampen bass and take away some life. Since a subwoofer doesn't appear to be in your plans (you might want to consider this later on) you'll want all the bass you can get.

Try it both ways, see what works best for you.

post #46 of 47 Old 04-10-2013, 10:51 AM

Thanks nethawk but I will be getting. The q400 sub but now I'm on the fence for what sub to get the q400's or the kef kube 2 what one is better
post #47 of 47 Old 08-21-2013, 05:51 PM

So I'm going with a svs pb12nsd and then a second one a lil later on I decided to ditch the q400 or the kube but now that I have lived with my setup I'm wanting to play movies and music louder still don't have the q600 yet either but I will shortly I have my 700's bi-am from the 809 and I noticed a diffrence but but when I have all channel stereo I notice a volume drop what can I do to bring things back up?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page