CCM7.5 ceiling speakers for 7.1 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-06-2012, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know ceiling speakers are not ideal but they do fire at an angle and i was curious how four ccm7.5s would work. I am Interested in upgrading from the 5.1 system useing LM1 satellites I have now.

This is the room, it is kind of hard to work with acoustically in a way that passes the wife factor.

DSC_0053.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

ended up ordering DS3 dipoles for the sides and the ccm7.5 for the two rears. Doesn't seem to be much information around on these. Guess i will let ya know how it works out.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-12-2012, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Let us know how it works out for you. I am in Maple Grove (not far at all) and am using an acoustically transparent screen with in-wall speakers behind it, then bipole in-ceiling surrounds. Been very happy with the sound.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-22-2012, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

So I upgraded to the following B&W speakers run by a Denon 4311 with a Rythmik f12 sub
2 X CM9's
1 X CM Centre 2
2 X DS3 Dipoles
2 X CCM7.5's in ceilings for rears

The upgrade was well worth it, I am absolutely blown away what a difference it is. Night and day doesn't begin to describe it. Few notes below
  • We set the system without the rears first and the DS3 dipoles are in a whole different league than the LM1's I had. The LM1's we every obviously directional where the DS3's do an incredible job of filling in the sound so it just envelopes you.
  • Everyone thought the CCM7.5 s were a bit much for rears and I agreed but there wasnt much else produced by the same manufacture that would work in this room. I was also concerned that the rears would sound like they were coming from above. None of this is the case, we watched Tron 7.1 and i was blown out of my seat particularly in the arena scenes with how the right surround system really makes you fee like you are there. I think the angle of the speaker helps a lot, they absolutely do not sound like they are coming from above.
  • The 4311's audyssey is also a game changer, particularly with how it handles the sub and the side and rear channels. It makes it truly sound like you are completely surrounded with full sized speakers at just the right times.

There isn't a tremendous amount of info out there on the DS3's and CCM7 series in wall/ceilings. For those of you who are interested I am absolutely astounded and would make the purchase again.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-16-2012, 02:57 PM

Hi Snarks!

Great upgrade you did. I'm upgrading mine too. The setup is almost the same, cm9s, cmc2 and for surround only 2 ccm7.5. Obviously plus a sub. I noticed in your pictures that your projector and your screen have a good bright image in ambient light condition. If possible I would like to know your screen and projector model. Thank you very much!

Brro
post #6 of 8 Old 08-19-2012, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brro View Post

Hi Snarks!
Great upgrade you did. I'm upgrading mine too. The setup is almost the same, cm9s, cmc2 and for surround only 2 ccm7.5. Obviously plus a sub. I noticed in your pictures that your projector and your screen have a good bright image in ambient light condition. If possible I would like to know your screen and projector model. Thank you very much!
Brro

This is the sub http://www.rythmikaudio.com/F12.html

I am using a denon 4311 to drive it all. The home theater change is downright astounding. I am done with the real theater unless I have to see something in 3D which is pretty rare. The DS3 Dipole sides fill in space and engulf you with sound. When I switch them to standard mode the effect is immediately noticeable and the sound is obviously coming from a very noticeable location on the sides of the room, nowhere near as rich as the dipole mode which fills the room. I was concerned the CCM7.5 was a bit overkill for the rears and it might still be but combined with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and the sub it is freaking amazing to feel the house shake when something happens behind you. The box design of the CCM7.5 and angled speaker are perfect for this application. I know there are not a ton of true 7.1 movies out there but the few like Tron and Thor are out of this world. That said I think the 7.1 is worth it even with a 5.1 source. Really a big difference in my case.

Projector is a LG CF181D and Stewart firehawk g3. Combination works well. it was important to me that I could watch sports with friends and not be in a bat cave. Amazing how far projectors and screen technology has come, that would have never been possible before.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Hi Snarks! Thank you very much for the info. In my case it will be only a 5.1 system and the surrounds will be the ccm7.5. I am a little bit affraid about this config but I'll bet...

Once more thank you very much for the attention!

Brro
post #8 of 8 Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 PM

Hi, I`m about to buy the same speakers, with 4 ccm7.5 for surround. What pre and amp are you using?
regards
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page