System under 1K? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at options for a full system (speakers + sub + receiver) for under 1k for my apartment next year. The main room in which the setup would be is about 20ft x 15ft.

For speakers, size isn't terribly important but I also don't want something incredibly big (i.e., Monitor 70s are out). Having a solid mid-range is important to me so I will not settle for a puny system like the Klipsch HDT500s that seem to be gaining in popularity. Suggestions are most welcome!

For a sub, I currently own an Acoustic Audio HD-SUB10 (http://www.thedeepdiscount.com/p-7131-acoustic-audio-hd-sub10-black-600w-10-home-theater-powered-subwoofer.aspx). I am admittedly looking for more 'boominess' in that feeling the rumble is more important to me than accuracy per se (blasphemy I know tongue.gif). I imagine this 10" sub on it's own isn't enough for the room - what should I get instead?

For receiver, I was looking at this refurb Denon AVR-1612 (http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1612/DENON-AVR-1612-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html#!more) as it has the features I want for a killer price -- HDMI 1.4a, HDMI-CEC, Audyssey mic, iPod dock

This will all be hooked up to my eventual HTPC

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 10:26 AM

Are you set on getting a full 7.1 or 5.1 system with a sub RIGHT NOW for under a grand? You could get a very nice pair of speakers (or speakers and center channel) and save up a bit to get a nicer sub and add surrounds later. Just a thought . . .

Also a note if you're connecting that Denon to an HTPC . . . you need to plug your PC HDMI connection into the port closest to the output HDMI to the TV to get it to work (the PC won't pick up the reciever otherwise). This took me several hours of frustrated debugging to work out!
post #3 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I am looking for a full 5.1 system for around 1k to purchase in a month or so. I don't plan on spending much more than this -- although, I would be fine with forgoing a better sub for now and spending some extra dough on one around Christmas.
Part of the reason is that I will be in this apartment for two, at most three years as I finish up law school and grad school. Afterwards I'll spend $$$ on an entirely new setup once I move out-of-state and get a job. I have no plans on carrying over any equipment to said future setup.

On a similar note, this system is mostly for movies and TV, with music taking a (ever so slight) backseat. I have a solid headphone setup that fulfills most of my everyday music needs.

Thanks for the denon tip, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
post #4 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 10:38 AM

Liked: 14
Do you currently live in an apartment or a house? I don't think you should upgrade your sub for two reasons; one is that your sub probably is powerful enough for a room that size and two, you are going to be in an apartment and will probably not be able to turn your sub up too high anyways.

That is a good choice for a receiver, you can get them new for $199 on Amazon, but saving $30 is good too.

As for speakers, since you don't want large floorstanding speakers, you are left with bookshelf speakers. I don't know much about specific bookshelf speakers, but you should get some that can produce down to at least 70Hz to ensure you have a solid mid-range with a smooth crossover to the subwoofer. They should also have a woofer size of 5.25" or larger since you have a good size room, if the woofers are smaller they would have to be turned up fairly high to fill the room with sound and this could push your receiver and/or the speakers near their limits and cause distortion or even damage. For the same reason the speakers should be fairly sensitive, a minimum of 89dB sensitivity should be fine.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Consider the Infinity Primus P363s that are on at Fry's for @$100. Floor standing with two woofers, a midrange, and a tweeter. Should match these up with a matching center that I believe is the PC351. You will need a better sub.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kach22 View Post

Do you currently live in an apartment or a house? I don't think you should upgrade your sub for two reasons; one is that your sub probably is powerful enough for a room that size and two, you are going to be in an apartment and will probably not be able to turn your sub up too high anyways.
That is a good choice for a receiver, you can get them new for $199 on Amazon, but saving $30 is good too.
As for speakers, since you don't want large floorstanding speakers, you are left with bookshelf speakers. I don't know much about specific bookshelf speakers, but you should get some that can produce down to at least 70Hz to ensure you have a solid mid-range with a smooth crossover to the subwoofer. They should also have a woofer size of 5.25" or larger since you have a good size room, if the woofers are smaller they would have to be turned up fairly high to fill the room with sound and this could push your receiver and/or the speakers near their limits and cause distortion or even damage. For the same reason the speakers should be fairly sensitive, a minimum of 89dB sensitivity should be fine.

I'm not opposed to floorstanding speakers. The Monitor 70s specifically are just too big (mainly too deep), but the 50s and stuff are fine by me. My brother had both in his apartment which was around the same size as mine, and the 70s just looked too big.
I'm in an apartment, but on the ground floor so turning up the sub isn't *that* big of a deal -- but duly noted. Didn't realize the Denon was only $30 more new - I'd probably buy it from Amazon then. Was more curious about the model in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fookoo_2010 View Post

Consider the Infinity Primus P363s that are on at Fry's for @$100. Floor standing with two woofers, a midrange, and a tweeter. Should match these up with a matching center that I believe is the PC351. You will need a better sub.

Damn that's a good deal. They're a bit too big like the Monitor 70s, but I'll keep em in mind.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 11:39 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by despot View Post

I'm not opposed to floorstanding speakers. The Monitor 70s specifically are just too big (mainly too deep), but the 50s and stuff are fine by me.

In that case, you could get larger bookshelf speakers with a 3-way design or with dual woofers (you could also use center speakers on their sides), matching single woofer bookshelves for the surrounds, and a matching center. The only "small" floorstanding speakers I know of are the Sony SS-F5000's. You have a lot of options.

Even being on the ground floor I would wait to buy the sub until after you move in to see how your sub sounds and to see how thick the walls are.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 386
For smaller good sounding towers, Look at HTD
Level Two
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Tower-Speakers
Center
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Center-Channel-Speaker
For surrounds
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers

Use with the Denon receiver, and save for better sub

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #9 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:

Damn that's a good deal. They're a bit too big like the Monitor 70s, but I'll keep em in mind.

The 363s need a better receiver than the 1612. While HK has them listed as 8ohm speakers, they have been found to be 4 ohm. The 1612 is rated for 6 to 16 ohm output.

post #10 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

For smaller good sounding towers, Look at HTD
Level Two
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Tower-Speakers
Center
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Center-Channel-Speaker
For surrounds
http://www.htd.com/Products/level-two-speakers/Level-TWO-Bookshelf-Speakers
Use with the Denon receiver, and save for better sub

I really like how they look, that's for sure. Could you explain briefly why something like these HTDs would be a better choice than say Monitor 50s? They both have same size woofers and tweeter, and are made of MDF; is it the material for the cones and stuff? Not trying to troll or anything, but want to learn and understand what makes them good (and cost 2x as much).
post #11 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 02:50 PM

I would think the new Pioneer speakers would allow you to reach your goal and keep it within your budget. These speakers have been very well received and you could get 5 or 7 for under a grand.
post #12 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 386
Quote:

I really like how they look, that's for sure. Could you explain briefly why something like these HTDs would be a better choice than say Monitor 50s? They both have same size woofers and tweeter, and are made of MDF; is it the material for the cones and stuff? Not trying to troll or anything, but want to learn and understand what makes them good (and cost 2x as much).
More balanced sounding - tighter bass control - more midrange detail - a more smooth and detailed treble.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #13 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts View Post

I would think the new Pioneer speakers would allow you to reach your goal and keep it within your budget. These speakers have been very well received and you could get 5 or 7 for under a grand.

Are you referring to these? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-FS51-LR
post #14 of 16 Old 07-06-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Are you referring to these? http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/Speakers/Home+Theater+Speakers/SP-FS51-LR

Yes. Those seem to get a lot of praise from various pro and enthusiasts reviewers alike. I have not heard them myself, so I could only recommend you audition them. They would at the very least be on my list if I was looking for speakers in your price range.
post #15 of 16 Old 07-07-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 972
fwiw, if you don't mind buying used there are a pair of ascend acoustic cmt 340's (not the se version but still great sounding) the cmt340 center and a pair of htm-200 rears in great shape for $500.on audiogon , make offer could get cheaper add a good sub and the denon avr 1612 and your set this would be a great option and cheaper way to get great sound especially if your only going to use them for a few years just my 2 cents

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #16 of 16 Old 07-07-2012, 12:55 PM

for your situation you might want to do something like this

http://www.svsound.com/speakers/view-all

get the scs-02 mains and center or you can go sbs-02 and the scs center. but the thing is you want to try to have the main three speakers the same.

http://hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

for a sub, try calling pete he might give you a better deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290200

for your surrounds. since its just surrounds it doesnt need to match the fronts

and dont forget you need about 100 for wires, cables and misc stuff
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page