Stereo speakers used as mono in 5.1 system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I inadvertently bought four stereo speakers (Infinity ERS 110DT) several years ago. I had them professionally installed, so I didn't realize that they were stereo, and I've been using them as mono in my 5.1 system for 4 years.

I've recently decided that I didn't like the sound and wanted to add a pair of nice front speakers, but I'm trying to decide if it would be beneficial to replace the surrounds as well. Would an average 2-way speaker sound much better than those stereo speakers? I can't find any threads on people using stereo speakers for this sort of implementation, and I feel somewhat embarrassed about it.

Here are the speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-d6XBUp8m98v/p_108ERS110D/Infinity-ERS-110DT.html

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post

I inadvertently bought four stereo speakers (Infinity ERS 110DT) several years ago.
They're only stereo if wired that way. Even if wired stereo the woofer is still a summed mono, only the separate tweeters are truly stereo, and they're so close together that they might as well be mono anyway. If the voice coils are parallel wired or if only one coil is used they're pure mono. I wouldn't use them for mains, but for surrounds they should be adequate,

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

They're only stereo if wired that way. Even if wired stereo the woofer is still a summed mono, only the separate tweeters are truly stereo, and they're so close together that they might as well be mono anyway. If the voice coils are parallel wired or if only one coil is used they're pure mono. I wouldn't use them for mains, but for surrounds they should be adequate,

Thanks for the info. Do you think I would see a substantial increase in quality going to a 2-way (like a Klipsch R-1650-C), or should I just keep what I have given that they will be surrounds and I use it 95% for movies? If I kept them, my system would look like this:

Receiver: Pioneer Elite SC-65 (130w/channel)
Center: Infinity Cascade Model Three C
Front: Looking at getting B&W 683 or 684s
Surround: These 110DTs that we've been discussing

Again, I really appreciate the advice, as buying stereo speakers for a surround sound system (and then not realizing it for 4 years) is quite embarrassing.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I should clarify -- it's not that I'm trying to be cheap. It's just that I'm about to spend more on speakers than I ever have on the B&W fronts, so I'd prefer to not also replace the ceiling speakers if there won't be a substantial increase in quality.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1173
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post

Thanks for the info. Do you think I would see a substantial increase in quality going to a 2-way (like a Klipsch R-1650-C), or should I just keep what I have given that they will be surrounds and I use it 95% for movies?
It depends how 'serious' you are about your system. If that's not full blown gonzo they're probably all you need for surround duty. My L/R/C and sub are pretty serious, but for surrounds all I use is a pair of four inch full-rangers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page