Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok i ordered this home theater system,
Yamaha YHT-695BL $490

it comes on monday, however my friend is telling me to return it and buy a receiver separate and order polk speakers instead.

he also says a 2.1 or 3.1 would suit me better for the way my bedroom is vs's a 5.1.
sorry for dirty room =\.

he suggests just getting this setup,
Polk Audio Monitor30 or Polk Audio Monitor50 (2) or Polk Audio Monitor60 (2)
+
Polk Audio CS1 Series II
+
Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10

however i was thinking of just purchasing this,
Polk Audio Monitor70 (2)
+
Polk Audio CS2 Series II

and just going 3.0 instead of 3.1? heard the 70's had good bass without a sub but im not sure if the recievers im looking at can even power them properly, ONKYO TX-NR616 & YAMAHA RX-V473BL

system will only be used for movies, tv shows no music, just seeing what you think would be best considering my room layout with 3.0, 3.1 and 5.1 choices. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skzzzzy View Post

Ok i ordered this home theater system,
Yamaha YHT-695BL $490
it comes on monday, however my friend is telling me to return it and buy a receiver separate and order polk speakers instead.
he also says a 2.1 or 3.1 would suit me better for the way my bedroom is vs's a 5.1.
sorry for dirty room =\.
he suggests just getting this setup,
Polk Audio Monitor30 or Polk Audio Monitor50 (2) or Polk Audio Monitor60 (2)
+
Polk Audio CS1 Series II
+
Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10
however i was thinking of just purchasing this,
Polk Audio Monitor70 (2)
+
Polk Audio CS2 Series II
and just going 3.0 instead of 3.1? heard the 70's had good bass without a sub but im sure if the recievers im looking at can even power them properly, ONKYO TX-NR616 & YAMAHA RX-V473BL
system will only be used for movies, tv shows no music, just seeing what you think would be best considering my room layout with 3.0, 3.1 and 5.1 choices. thanks

I bought a Yamaha setup similar to that a while back. I had it for about 6 months and it served its purpose well. The speakers it came with were smaller than the ones you ordered but still sounded decent for the price I paid. I say, since you ordered it already, hook it up and try it and see how you like it. If it sounds good to you and fits your needs/budget then all is good.

However, I am no expert by any means, but if you can go with a higher budget, I do recommend the Polk setup or other quality speaker brands like Energy, Klipsch and Boston Acoustics to name a few and there are many others. What is the room size? What is your budget? Do you want floor standers or are you good with a pair of bookshelves? If you get the Polk 70s, they do go down to about 30 Hz I believe, you would still want to get a sub to put less strain on the receiver. This way you would let the speakers do what they do best (mid and higher frequencies) and let the sub do what it was designed to do (the low frequencies). Perhaps getting one of the smaller towers and sub would be better for you since they will go in your room. If there is a chance you would move them to a larger space, then you could go with the 70s, the center and a sub. It does appear that it would be best to stick with 3.1 due to your room set up. This is just my two cents, so I hope it helps and good luck.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 09:23 AM

FWIW, I have the same set of speakers in my bedroom, just a different sub. When I got mine, it came with a receiver/dvd player combo. The player died, so I am using an Insignia receiver and a PS3 slim as my main sources, other than my cable box. The sound isn't up to the quality levels of my main system in the family room, but is more than adequate for a bedroom. All the speakers are wall-mountable, although I have the center sitting on my receiver and cable box underneath my TV.

The main l/r are ok for listening to music, although they are very laidback. The system does well with movies, and the sub I have hits pretty low.

Mike

BTW, for me, your pictures are coming across as a broken link.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiTcHaSuM View Post

I bought a Yamaha setup similar to that a while back. I had it for about 6 months and it served its purpose well. The speakers it came with were smaller than the ones you ordered but still sounded decent for the price I paid. I say, since you ordered it already, hook it up and try it and see how you like it. If it sounds good to you and fits your needs/budget then all is good.
However, I am no expert by any means, but if you can go with a higher budget, I do recommend the Polk setup or other quality speaker brands like Energy, Klipsch and Boston Acoustics to name a few and there are many others. What is the room size? What is your budget? Do you want floor standers or are you good with a pair of bookshelves? If you get the Polk 70s, they do go down to about 30 Hz I believe, you would still want to get a sub to put less strain on the receiver. This way you would let the speakers do what they do best (mid and higher frequencies) and let the sub do what it was designed to do (the low frequencies). Perhaps getting one of the smaller towers and sub would be better for you since they will go in your room. If there is a chance you would move them to a larger space, then you could go with the 70s, the center and a sub. It does appear that it would be best to stick with 3.1 due to your room set up. This is just my two cents, so I hope it helps and good luck.

strain on receiver from the 70's wouldnt damage the reciever though right? i could always get the sub later on and just do 3.9 temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSpike View Post

FWIW, I have the same set of speakers in my bedroom, just a different sub. When I got mine, it came with a receiver/dvd player combo. The player died, so I am using an Insignia receiver and a PS3 slim as my main sources, other than my cable box. The sound isn't up to the quality levels of my main system in the family room, but is more than adequate for a bedroom. All the speakers are wall-mountable, although I have the center sitting on my receiver and cable box underneath my TV.
The main l/r are ok for listening to music, although they are very laidback. The system does well with movies, and the sub I have hits pretty low.
Mike
BTW, for me, your pictures are coming across as a broken link.

strange my pictures arent working for yu, they come up for me.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I suggest that you get the Denon AVR-1612 receiver, which can be had for around $230 or less, and is excellent.

For a speaker system, the Jamo S426HCS3 is now only $200 on Amazon, and that is a steal at that price. It really has almost NO competition in its price range as long as that price holds.

If you wanted to go with Polk speakers, I would suggest that you get a pair of Monitor 50, which are only $100 each, plus a Polk PSW505 subwoofer for $250.. The Monitor 50 goes down below 60 Hz, and the subwoofer will take over below 60 Hz and put out some decent low bass.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-07-2012, 02:42 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by skzzzzy View Post

strain on receiver from the 70's wouldnt damage the reciever though right? i could always get the sub later on and just do 3.9 temp.
strange my pictures arent working for yu, they come up for me.

No I don't think it would damage the receiver as long as you don't just crank it. the receiver would just need to work harder. If you set the crossover at say 80 Hz, the sub would take over under that frequency.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page