Can someone recommend me a pair of floorstanding speakers for $1000 or less? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-08-2012, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am interested in these models:

Mission MX3:

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=159&productId=9709&sku=MX3

Mission MX5

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=159&productId=9710&sku=MX5

Soundstage (Visions brand; I can get a deal for this one)

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=159&productId=9547&sku=3D40


JBL Nightlife:

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=159&productId=9226&sku=NL300

Cambridge Audio S70

http://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Audio-Floorstanding-Speakers-Pair/dp/B001OQVMOM


I also plan on getting normal bookshelf speakers from whichever model I choose (same series) and use them for rears, as well as a center channel (also from the same series)

I have been looking for bookshelf speakers to use as the front L and R channels but if I have to buy a stand; I figure I might as well just spend a couple extra $$ and get myself floorstanders for the front two speakers and get more dynamic range, and great bass (this would also mean I can save money on a $500 subwoofer and use it for something else, possibly even for the speakers)

I have looked at the Cambridge Audio S30's, Mission MXs, and Cambridge Minx 20's. I have tested all 3 at the Visions Electronics store and tested with my own music for 5-8 hours. I liked the S30s and Mission MXs the best since I they got great clarity, soundstage, female vocals sound good, and I think they look pretty good!

Thanks again guys, for all of your help!!
BestInTheWorld is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 Old 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
zieglj01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,936
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 477
If you can not make a decision - then go with Cambridge S70.

__________________________________________
Who and Where - is the Way, the Truth and the Life?

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
zieglj01 is online now  
post #3 of 30 Old 07-08-2012, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member
 
vardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: down by the river in a van in kalifornia
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
You might get some more ideas from this....

http://reviews.audioreview.com/editors-choice-best-floor-standing-speakers-under-1000

I've only had the Axioms, but didn't care for them because the metal tweeters were to
bright. Sold them to a guy back east, and he loved em.

vardo
vardo is offline  
post #4 of 30 Old 07-08-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Sure you can't stretch your budget and get a pair of KEF 900 for around $1200 from Vanns or Onecall?

A member just got a pr of Q900 + Q600 + pr of Q800 for $2200 total for all five speakers from Vanns!

You can also get a pair of Revel F12 for $1250 delivered.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #5 of 30 Old 07-09-2012, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

You might get some more ideas from this....
http://reviews.audioreview.com/editors-choice-best-floor-standing-speakers-under-1000
I've only had the Axioms, but didn't care for them because the metal tweeters were to
bright. Sold them to a guy back east, and he loved em.
vardo

Thanks for the link! I was told floorstanders still need some room from the back and the side walls--is this true? I want to avoid buying a standalone subwoofer if I am able to get nice lows with the floorstanders.

However, my room isn't that large, and I would say it's 12 x 12 feet and my plan was to place these as close to the wall as possible and to the sides (basically, in the corners with a few inches away).

Will this greatly affect (negatively) mid-range to highs? Or will it not really make a difference in the case of floorstanders?

Are there any floorstanders (less than 4 feet) that will sound good no matter if placed near the walls or in more open space?
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #6 of 30 Old 07-09-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post


Are there any floorstanders (less than 4 feet) that will sound good no matter if placed near the walls or in more open space?

What you're looking for are speakers with smooth off-axis frequency responses. They tend to play nicer with most rooms.
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #7 of 30 Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have the same size room that you have. I think that a good floor standing speaker would fill your room good. I had the powered subwoofer hooked up also, but didn't like the way that it sounded with the floor standing speakers. I unhooked it. From my experience, I think that a subwoofer sounds best with bookshelf speakers. What kind of music do you listen to?
keyboardcat is offline  
post #8 of 30 Old 07-11-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

What you're looking for are speakers with smooth off-axis frequency responses. They tend to play nicer with most rooms.

Is there a way to find that out by looking at the specification details for the product, say from a store website or on the box?
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #9 of 30 Old 07-11-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I have the same size room that you have. I think that a good floor standing speaker would fill your room good. I had the powered subwoofer hooked up also, but didn't like the way that it sounded with the floor standing speakers. I unhooked it. From my experience, I think that a subwoofer sounds best with bookshelf speakers. What kind of music do you listen to?

I listen to all kinds of music and genres, from Suzanne Vega to The Sundays to Alice in Chains to Ke$ha to Cranberries, etc. But yeah, I will be getting floorstanders (hopefully), and 2 bookshelf speakers plus the center channel (this is for surround, and for HT use). I would think music concerts on Blu-ray will sound amazing since it's mixed in 5.1

I'm still thinking of trying the Mission MX3s in-store tomorrow (floor standing) and see how that is. I especially enjoyed the Mission MXS speakers, and would pair that up with the floorstanding MX3s.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #10 of 30 Old 07-11-2012, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tesseract67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 2,507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by vardo View Post

You might get some more ideas from this....
http://reviews.audioreview.com/editors-choice-best-floor-standing-speakers-under-1000
I've only had the Axioms, but didn't care for them because the metal tweeters were to
bright. Sold them to a guy back east, and he loved em.
vardo

Why blame the tweeters, they did what they were told to do!

Metal tweeter brightness is an audio myth.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

tesseract67 is offline  
post #11 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ke$ha and Alice in Chains should sound good on floor standing speakers. I like the way that Pearl Jam sounds on floor standing speakers.I don't feel like I need a sub woofer. Ke$ha has a lot of bass in her songs I noticed. the floor standing speakers should sound good for her music. If you want more bass, get a powered sub. Once I heard a Dream Theater dvd in surround sound at Best Buy, and thought that it sounded amazing. Let us know what you think about the Mission speakers when you hear them in store. I am mainly a 2 channel kind of guy bestintheworld, but I may someday set up surround sound again like you. Sometimes I miss watching movies in surround sound. A lot of my receivers are older Dolby digital and Dolby pro logic without Hdmi. Do you like sound garden, and bush?
keyboardcat is offline  
post #12 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

Ke$ha and Alice in Chains should sound good on floor standing speakers. I like the way that Pearl Jam sounds on floor standing speakers.I don't feel like I need a sub woofer. Ke$ha has a lot of bass in her songs I noticed. the floor standing speakers should sound good for her music. If you want more bass, get a powered sub. Once I heard a Dream Theater dvd in surround sound at Best Buy, and thought that it sounded amazing. Let us know what you think about the Mission speakers when you hear them in store. I am mainly a 2 channel kind of guy bestintheworld, but I may someday set up surround sound again like you. Sometimes I miss watching movies in surround sound. A lot of my receivers are older Dolby digital and Dolby pro logic without Hdmi. Do you like sound garden, and bush?

I think I'm in the minority in the AVS Forum, but I like the bass where it doesn't feel like your floors and walls are shaking/vibrating (EXAMPLE: the boomy/loose bass that goes along with cheap sets, like my Harmon Kardon Soundsticks which were $180 altogether). The bass from the MXS was surprisingly tight since it was so physically small and the fact the cone was 4.25" and not the "standard" 5.25". The real surprise was due to the fact that zero bass boost was given, nor was a subwoofer used in this demo. Just 2 speakers doing it alone. cool.gif

I didn't listen to the MX5's (not interested in it), nor did I hear the MX3s (no demo at the store), so I can't say whether it's good or not. I assume it would be even more amazing then the MXS.

My problem I'm having is choosing the MX3 ($499) and a pair of MXSs ($228) and the center ($388) --all for under $1200.... or going with higher end makes with much better resell value like the Paradigm Studios or the Focal Chorus range. I would be spending close to $3000 on speakers if I choose either Paradigm or Focal. I only found maybe 3 professional reviews on the MX3 and MX1 speakers, versus loads of feedback and reviews on the AVS Forum and online for Focal and Paradigm.

I am just on a tight rope now, choosing between the higher end sets or the $1200 Mission MX setup.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #13 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I heard Paradigm speakers for the first time Wednesday in New York City at a hi fi store. I also heard Monitor Audio and PSB again. I have seen older Paradigm speaker sets with a receiver go for $250.00 on craigslist sometimes. some ads that I see locally that keep trying to sell a paradigm subwoofer are having a tough time selling it. I have seen the ad posted for months. Sorry that I can't help you decide what speakers are best for home theatre. I haven't used surround sound in years. I used to work at a movie theater and was more into movies. I am more into listening to music now. Have you heard KEF speakers? I think that some of them sound good. The small mission bookshelf speakers that I have I like. Would the dealer negotiate a better price with you if you buy the MX3 The MXSS and the center? It never hurts to ask. If you had said you listened to a lot of dubstep and rap, I would have suggested Cerwin Vega Ve12 or Cerwin Vega ve15. I think for the money they sound the best for that kind of music. I have seen Focal speakers used go for 300 bucks on craigslist. I hear that a lot of people like Vandersteen. Have you ever got to hear those speakers? Some people like the Cambridge Audio s30. I hear they have good bass for such a small bookshelf speaker. I read some negative reviews about them also, but mainly positive reviews. Do you like B&W speakers? i have read online that some NHT speakers sound pretty good also.
keyboardcat is offline  
post #14 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

I heard Paradigm speakers for the first time Wednesday in New York City at a hi fi store. I also heard Monitor Audio and PSB again. I have seen older Paradigm speaker sets with a receiver go for $250.00 on craigslist sometimes. some ads that I see locally that keep trying to sell a paradigm subwoofer are having a tough time selling it. I have seen the ad posted for months. Sorry that I can't help you decide what speakers are best for home theatre. I haven't used surround sound in years. I used to work at a movie theater and was more into movies. I am more into listening to music now. Have you heard KEF speakers? I think that some of them sound good. The small mission bookshelf speakers that I have I like. Would the dealer negotiate a better price with you if you buy the MX3 The MXSS and the center? It never hurts to ask. If you had said you listened to a lot of dubstep and rap, I would have suggested Cerwin Vega Ve12 or Cerwin Vega ve15. I think for the money they sound the best for that kind of music. I have seen Focal speakers used go for 300 bucks on craigslist. I hear that a lot of people like Vandersteen. Have you ever got to hear those speakers? Some people like the Cambridge Audio s30. I hear they have good bass for such a small bookshelf speaker. I read some negative reviews about them also, but mainly positive reviews. Do you like B&W speakers? i have read online that some NHT speakers sound pretty good also.

I have yet to listen to Paradigms or Focals but will do so next week. The only problem is it will be hard to compare against the Missions--well, fairly anyways. I don't listen to rap and only like a few dubstep songs. I heard the Cambridge Audio S30's and they sounded quite good, however, I just didn't like the styling and the sizing of it. I have never listened to Vandersteen nor did I listen to B&W. I decided to forego the B&Ws only because the styling isn't right for me and I heard the build quality of comparable Paradigms to be much better. Soundwise, I think they should be about equals. I also cancelled out the KEFs as choices. At $800-$1000 for a pair of speakers, I would imagine I can tell the difference between Missions and these high end ones.

And that $1200 deal for the Missions MXs has already been discounted. The MX3's are normally $800 at that store and basically the same online at various places. $500 brand new is a steal, I suppose.

I would go for used Paradigms, but it's not available locally, and you never know if you're getting a dropped or damaged speaker--I can't put my faith and trust to a stranger who is getting rid of them at whatever price. I would rather pay more for new, sleeping easy knowing it's not damaged or open-box.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #15 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 10:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pronghorn/az's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Prescott, AZ
Posts: 1,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

I have yet to listen to Paradigms or Focals but will do so next week. The only problem is it will be hard to compare against the Missions--well, fairly anyways. I don't listen to rap and only like a few dubstep songs. I heard the Cambridge Audio S30's and they sounded quite good, however, I just didn't like the styling and the sizing of it. I have never listened to Vandersteen nor did I listen to B&W. I decided to forego the B&Ws only because the styling isn't right for me and I heard the build quality of comparable Paradigms to be much better. Soundwise, I think they should be about equals. I also cancelled out the KEFs as choices. At $800-$1000 for a pair of speakers, I would imagine I can tell the difference between Missions and these high end ones.
And that $1200 deal for the Missions MXs has already been discounted. The MX3's are normally $800 at that store and basically the same online at various places. $500 brand new is a steal, I suppose.
I would go for used Paradigms, but it's not available locally, and you never know if you're getting a dropped or damaged speaker--I can't put my faith and trust to a stranger who is getting rid of them at whatever price. I would rather pay more for new, sleeping easy knowing it's not damaged or open-box.

I heard Mission speakers, oh about 30 years ago and they were excellent sounding speakers. I can only imagine that they are even better now. I have had a set of Paradigm Monitor 9's for 14ish years and they are still going strong. My friend who I deal with in FL (I still buy from him and I live in AZ) sells Paradigm and he said the new Monitor Series speakers have the trickle down technology from the Signature (?) and Studio line. If I had to do over would I buy Mission? I would give them a serious listen that's for sure!

Jeff
pronghorn/az is offline  
post #16 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
A lot of the good paradigm deals that I saw on craigslist were a 2 and a half hour to 3 hour and 40 minute drive I checked other near bye states listings.. the best deal was in the Northern part of New Jersey. If the deal is good enough, I may go 3 hours and 40 minutes to buy speakers or amps. I always ask them to set it up for me to hear if I decide to go. You are right $500.00 is a good deal on the Mission speakers.
keyboardcat is offline  
post #17 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The Paradigm speakers sounded okay, but I thought that the tweeters sounded a little bright. I thought that the Monitor Audio speakers sounded bright also.
keyboardcat is offline  
post #18 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyboardcat View Post

The Paradigm speakers sounded okay, but I thought that the tweeters sounded a little bright. I thought that the Monitor Audio speakers sounded bright also.

Which Paradigms did you test out, the Signature or the Studios?

These Missions aren't the old school ones and are the current ones. They are the MX3 for $500, and I just think it may be more worth it to spend the extra grand to get stuff made in Canada or France rather than Missions, which are very likely to be made in China.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #19 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I don't remember which Paradigm speakers that I heard sorry. I think that the owner said that one bookshelf speaker pair I heard was about 1,600 a pair. It was late and he was about to close, but let me hear them still.
keyboardcat is offline  
post #20 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,290
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
For a room that size, the ones I would recommend would be the PSB T5 towers with the C4 center speaker and B4 rear/surround speakers.

IMO you will get much better sound than any of those in your original list.

A good 2nd choice would be a pair of KEF iQ90 speakers with a pair of iQ30 speakers and the Q200C center speaker. See the KEF Direct website for detailed specs and prices. (the Q900, BTW, is way too big for your room...)

Either of these will sound much more detailed and refined than the comparable Mission or Paradigm speakers IMO; just a much nicer sound.

Those KEF speakers are all front-ported and are therefore relatively unaffected by the distance to the rear wall. That might make them your best choice.



Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Thanks for the link! I was told floorstanders still need some room from the back and the side walls--is this true? I want to avoid buying a standalone subwoofer if I am able to get nice lows with the floorstanders.
However, my room isn't that large, and I would say it's 12 x 12 feet and my plan was to place these as close to the wall as possible and to the sides (basically, in the corners with a few inches away).
Will this greatly affect (negatively) mid-range to highs? Or will it not really make a difference in the case of floorstanders?
Are there any floorstanders (less than 4 feet) that will sound good no matter if placed near the walls or in more open space?
commsysman is offline  
post #21 of 30 Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
what about infinity floor standing speakers? Would those sound good for him? I remember that Circuit City used to say how good that they sound for home theater when they were in business. I heard infinity floor standing speakers at a airbrush shop in Daytona Beach Florida once, and was impressed.
keyboardcat is offline  
post #22 of 30 Old 07-14-2012, 06:37 AM
Senior Member
 
uncola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oahu, Hawaii
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I can recommend you stretch your budget a tiny bit and get Kef q900. They definitely don't need a subwoofer and sound superb

Gear list: Main setup - Kef Q900, Svs sb12-nsd subwoofer, onkyo 609 receiver, epson 8350 projector, elitescreens sable 92" screen, mac mini htpc
bedroom setup: PSB Image B5, maverick tubemagic a1 amplifier, hifimediy sabre9023 dac, ZMF Fostex T50RP modded headphones
preordered gear: Light Harmonic Geek Pulse X dac and headphone amp
uncola is offline  
post #23 of 30 Old 07-14-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Thanks for the link! I was told floorstanders still need some room from the back and the side walls--is this true? I want to avoid buying a standalone subwoofer if I am able to get nice lows with the floorstanders.
However, my room isn't that large, and I would say it's 12 x 12 feet and my plan was to place these as close to the wall as possible and to the sides (basically, in the corners with a few inches away).
Will this greatly affect (negatively) mid-range to highs? Or will it not really make a difference in the case of floorstanders?
Are there any floorstanders (less than 4 feet) that will sound good no matter if placed near the walls or in more open space?

To be frank, many people do not address the room when selecting speakers and often just throw speakers in a corner of the room and this definitely affects sound. Some basic principles to consider:
- The closer to a surface (like a wall, ceiling, or floor) the more bass reinforcement you will get. This affects both the quality of the bass and how much reinforcement you will get. Speakers that do not have good bass may actually sound better to you if they are placed a little closer to a wall, whereas on the flip side you can also create a situation where the bass sound boomy or muddy too close to a wall. Rule of thumb is you should have 1-2' minimum from a rear wall to play with. The distance to the rear wall also affects the soundstage of a speaker. Pulling the speaker away from the wall, from my experience, creates a better sound stage but you don't want to pull the speaker too far out either. Side walls are important as well, and ideally you do not want a speaker right next to a wall as this impacts the sound via reflection.
- Walls are reflection points. Your room will dictate where the reflection points are and will contribute to the sound of the speaker. You have sound traveling direct to you from the speaker and also to you from the reflection points and this makes up the overall sound of your speaker. Placing speakers too close to a side wall affects sound. Again, it is recommend to have a good 1-2' or more to play with placement if you can. You also have to pay attention to how far apart you place the left and right speaker to your listening position. Too close together, or too far apart will affect sound.

All of it matters. And you have to spend the time tweaking the placement to get it right.

When buying speakers you have to consider the room. People will often recommend what they like here at AVS, but the room plays a big role in buying the right speaker. Every room is different and every speaker is different and it is difficult to recommend the best speaker to you, but based on what we do know, I would go with a smaller tower or bookshelf speaker that is not rear ported. I would also look into addressing some of the reflection points (there are lots of good resources out there about room treatments), and I would buy a receiver that has Audyssey MultiEQ to help EQ the room.

My other recommendation is to buy a speaker either local that has a good return policy, or from an Internet direct company (like Aperion) that has a really good return policy. This will allow you to hear the speaker in your room and you will know how much your space affects the sound quality.

Also, this requires patience and time. Try experimenting as much as you can with speaker placement with regards to your walls. An inch or two makes more difference than you realize, as well as moving your listening position forward slightly or backward slightly along with left or right. Toeing in the speakers can help with directing the sound to the listening position, but again, you still have reflection points to consider. Run Audyssey (or another EQ program) multiple times and be patient.

It took me years to grasp how important the room and speaker placement is with regards to sound quality. Audyssey definitely helps. Addressing reflection points definitely helps. Speaker selection definitely helps.
ack_bk is offline  
post #24 of 30 Old 07-14-2012, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello ack_bk,

Thanks for that read! I remember hearing the Mission MXs on the demo floor and they are about 1 foot away from the rear. Of course there are other speakers about 4 inches apart from one another, all lined up on this bookshelf with the TV in the center. From what I heard, it was very good, and I believe this was rear port--however, on a few websites, the MX line was designed so you can get great sound no matter if you're close to a wall ornot.

I have limited space, so if I am to move the speakers away from the walls, would you think a smaller speaker like the Paradigm Studio 10s would work for fronts and rears, since they are smaller and will be easier for me to move away from walls?? These are front ported as well as the large Studio 60 tower. Since the Studio 60's are front ported, would 1.5 feet away from the backwall and sides be good for sound reflection?

My room is too small, so my last option is the Cambridge Minx 20 option.... I can get 4 of these and they are about the size of a soda can, and buy a small 10" sub. It's hard to know if these are good.

Would you think the high end store I plan to visit on Monday, would be fine if I bought brand new Paradigms, tried it for 10 days, and returned it because I didn't like the sound in my room?? I'm just scared to take home speakers to test, since there is not enough time for me to break them in to know if they sound better or roughly the same (in any room environment)
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #25 of 30 Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,836
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestInTheWorld View Post

Hello ack_bk,
Thanks for that read! I remember hearing the Mission MXs on the demo floor and they are about 1 foot away from the rear. Of course there are other speakers about 4 inches apart from one another, all lined up on this bookshelf with the TV in the center. From what I heard, it was very good, and I believe this was rear port--however, on a few websites, the MX line was designed so you can get great sound no matter if you're close to a wall ornot.
I have limited space, so if I am to move the speakers away from the walls, would you think a smaller speaker like the Paradigm Studio 10s would work for fronts and rears, since they are smaller and will be easier for me to move away from walls?? These are front ported as well as the large Studio 60 tower. Since the Studio 60's are front ported, would 1.5 feet away from the backwall and sides be good for sound reflection?
My room is too small, so my last option is the Cambridge Minx 20 option.... I can get 4 of these and they are about the size of a soda can, and buy a small 10" sub. It's hard to know if these are good.
Would you think the high end store I plan to visit on Monday, would be fine if I bought brand new Paradigms, tried it for 10 days, and returned it because I didn't like the sound in my room?? I'm just scared to take home speakers to test, since there is not enough time for me to break them in to know if they sound better or roughly the same (in any room environment)

1' away may be just fine. I have not heard Mission speakers in years, but I always remember liking them, and the Studio 10's are a solid choice. I would probably go with one of these two choices, and get a decent sub. You really won't know how something sounds until it is in your room to your liking. It won't necessarily take 10 days of break-in to know if you like the speaker or not. And you could play some demo CDs on repeat overnight a few nights to break them in,

Really tough for me to make the call here, if you really liked the Mission speakers, try them. Studio 10's with a nice sub is a good choice too.

Aperion is another choice with a free in-trial offer. You don't even pay return shipping.
ack_bk is offline  
post #26 of 30 Old 07-14-2012, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
keyboardcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
some stores and online sites have 15 percent re stocking fees. Is this Canada store going to charge you a fee if you return them?
keyboardcat is offline  
post #27 of 30 Old 07-14-2012, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

1' away may be just fine. I have not heard Mission speakers in years, but I always remember liking them, and the Studio 10's are a solid choice. I would probably go with one of these two choices, and get a decent sub. You really won't know how something sounds until it is in your room to your liking. It won't necessarily take 10 days of break-in to know if you like the speaker or not. And you could play some demo CDs on repeat overnight a few nights to break them in,
Really tough for me to make the call here, if you really liked the Mission speakers, try them. Studio 10's with a nice sub is a good choice too.
Aperion is another choice with a free in-trial offer. You don't even pay return shipping.

I just hope I can hear a difference in the store for the Paradigms versus say the Cambridge S30's or Mission MXs, just because the cost of the Studio 10s are about $600 more eek.gif

Having just peeked around in the "Missions owner thread" here on AVS, I came across some Mission 771s. These are slick looking speakers (I'm looking for great sounding and nice looking speakers that will look great with my other furniture, etc) and although they are in 2000, would it be wiser to stick with the new stuff released in the last few years? People seem to like these as well as older Missions in that thread. I think the 771's were still made in UK (not overseas).

And keyboardcat, not sure if there is a restocking fee or return fee. Never asked. I did buy a few things from Visions Electronics, returned them (unopened) and got my full money back so I hope this expensive store will be as generous
BestInTheWorld is offline  
post #28 of 30 Old 07-14-2012, 03:30 PM
Member
 
fulhamx5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what about dali zensor 5 ?
fulhamx5 is offline  
post #29 of 30 Old 07-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Newbie
 
dalwilli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, I was in your position just a few months ago. My first recommendation is that you actually audition as many speakers, in your price point, as you can. Audition them with all of the different types music that you listen to. At the end of the day, I decided to go a couple of hundred beyond my 1K limit and brought home a set of Paradigm Series 7 Monitor 9's and have been extremely happy. biggrin.gif I cannot recommend them enough.
dalwilli is offline  
post #30 of 30 Old 07-14-2012, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
BestInTheWorld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalwilli View Post

First off, I was in your position just a few months ago. My first recommendation is that you actually audition as many speakers, in your price point, as you can. Audition them with all of the different types music that you listen to. At the end of the day, I decided to go a couple of hundred beyond my 1K limit and brought home a set of Paradigm Series 7 Monitor 9's and have been extremely happy. biggrin.gif I cannot recommend them enough.

Well, the funny thing here is my budget was $300 for the fronts and rears, and possibly $500 for the sub and get the center later on. However, I have increased my budget by alot. I can either get some towers from Focal or Paradigm for $2000 and some bookshelves for $900-1000. However, I may get some Mission 771s and get some matching towers, ONLY if they sound as good as the Paradigms (which I haven't ever heard of).

I cannot extend my budget any further, as a lot of my money has gone to new furniture, the equipment, etc.
BestInTheWorld is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off