bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are good bookshelf speakers $500 or under? The room is 13'x10'. I listen to all kinds of music, but majority is rock, bands like Radiohead, Sonic youth, The Nationals.

YEars ago I bought a marantz 4200avr and mission m71 speakers. It sounds like crap to me. So I gave up on it and just lived with it. Now I'm trying again, putting together a 2.0 stereo system. Music is priority, im not doing surround. I just bought 2 components from Emotiva. XDA-a dac i got for week already, the upa200 amp is on it's way. My plan is set this up with my mission first and see. But my guess is I'll still think these speakers are crap.

Yes the smart thing to do is go to a store and audition a few speakers. But I'm very intimidated by these stores.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 368
There is a used pair of Focal 706V speakers here.
http://www.spearitsound.com/special.html#Speakers

http://www.focal.com/en/home-audio-loudspeakers/hifi-speakers/bookshelf-speakers/chorus-706-v.php

Focal 806 speakers here
http://app.audiogon.com/listings/focal-chorus-806v-monitors

B-stock KEF Q300 here
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/KEFQ300CH/KEF-Q300-Q-Series-6-1/2-inch-Cherry-Bookshelf-Speakers-pair/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Since you appreciate the value of listening, but don't want to shop around at the brick and mortar stores, I would recommend buying from online vendor with a generous return policy. Recently I ordered a couple pairs of outdoor speakers, listened to both sets for a few weeks, chose one set, and returned the other at the cost of $7 - no questions asked.

http://www.crutchfield.com/app/ReturnProduct.aspx

They offer quite a good selection, maybe a little pricier than the competition, but sometimes have lower sale prices.

Obviously there are a great many good bookshelf speakers that cost under $500. I like the PSB speaker brand because they are fairly mellow, yet rich with detail. Though not as efficient as some brands and a little power hungry. The PSB Image.

Though above your price range, currently selling for $599, the Polk Audio Lsi9 speaker is fantastic. The speaker uses two 5.25 inch drivers for midwoofer and woofer duties. Very strong and dynamic bass. A one inch ring radiator delivers ultra-clear, shimmering high frequencies. They play like a tower speaker with the dual woofer arrangement and very deep, ported cabinet. A very well tuned speaker for rock music that sold for $800 before the newest Polk models were recently released - the LsiM series.

They are big and power hungry, but your Emotiva amp will have no problem.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
All suggestions above are good in my opionion. I had a pair of these Aperion towers
http://www.aperionaudio.com/product/Intimus-4T-Tower-Speaker,164,28,404.aspx

Very nice, although $50 above your budget. Although towers, they are very small in
comparison to most towers. Great with all kinds kinds of music. Your Emotiva
amp could easily drive these. Thirty day trial period, and no shipping fees if you don't
care for them and decide to send em back. $225 ea in satin black. Finish is outstanding.

vardo
post #5 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Well, if you think those speakers are crap, I'll just have to say I tend to agree...lol.

My suggestion is that you go to the KEF Direct website and buy a pair of iQ30 speakers for $399.

I don't think you'll find anything that sounds better for under $500; they are very good.

I have listened to a lot of speakers over many years, and heard a lot of crappy ones, but I have never heard a KEF speaker that didn't sound pretty darn good (and never heard a Mission speaker that I liked much...lol). I had a set of iQ9 speakers for several years and liked them a lot; I only sold them because I am selling one house and a lot of good stuff just had to go.

Actually, I think the Marantz probably would sound pretty good with the KEF speakers, but you have other options that may sound better now. Just for the heck of it, though, try the KEF speakers with the Marantz and see if it isn't pretty nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat72sherman View Post

What are good bookshelf speakers $500 or under? The room is 13'x10'. I listen to all kinds of music, but majority is rock, bands like Radiohead, Sonic youth, The Nationals.
YEars ago I bought a marantz 4200avr and mission m71 speakers. It sounds like crap to me. So I gave up on it and just lived with it. Now I'm trying again, putting together a 2.0 stereo system. Music is priority, im not doing surround. I just bought 2 components from Emotiva. XDA-a dac i got for week already, the upa200 amp is on it's way. My plan is set this up with my mission first and see. But my guess is I'll still think these speakers are crap.
Yes the smart thing to do is go to a store and audition a few speakers. But I'm very intimidated by these stores.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm going to look into each one of them. I didnt look into emotiva's return policy, but I remember thinking i'm going to pay a hefty fee for returning these things if i dont like them. Good to know some store has great return policies.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2012, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 881
fwiw, those focal 806v listed above would be very very tempting ,great speakers for that price. used or not these would be my 1st choice of every thing listed so far
if buying used is not for you ( you do get more bang for your buck)
take a look at the wharfedale 10.2 at music direct just another suggestion of many to come your way

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page