Can I use a rear speaker as a center speaker? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-09-2012, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The voices on my center speaker sound distorted and I think the speaker might be blown. I have JBL Sat10 speakers. I recently switched one of my front speakers with the center and there were no distorted voices with that speaker and I tested this with several movies. However, switching these two meant that my center speaker was temporarily being used as a front speaker and with that set up the sound still didn't sound right. I want to keep the original front speakers at the front but I was thinking of moving the blown center speaker to the rear and then using one of the rear speakers as my center speaker. Could this work?

If this does not work and my center speaker is blown, is there anything I can do to repair it? Could I buy a new center speaker from a different brand/model?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-11-2012, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Yes, you can use a different center speaker. A lot of people do this. The hardcore audiophile normally wants to use a center speaker from the same line as their front speakers and the REALLY hardcore use the same speakers in every location (not necessarily a speaker built to be a center). However if you aren't doing a lot of critical music listening in surround format, this level of detail won't be necessary.

JBL has a variety of center speakers for sale. Find one that has a sensitivity close to the other speakers in your HT system and you should be good to go.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page