positioning of surrounds and heights - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 07-09-2012, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've searched and have been reading several threads concerning the placement of surrounds and heights. I'm trying to decide exactly how to mount these four speakers (gonna use four bipoles) to get the best acoustics in my rather large unfriendly lay out. The speakers will be used in a Great Room (25'X35'X10'), which also opens up to three BRs and a stair case that leads up to the Master BR. I know that this is far from the ideal layout, but it is what it is.

My fronts are Energy C-9s, C-3, and two Acoustic 100 subs (I know weak, but shipping a big/heavy ol' sub to Hawaii costs an arm and a leg).tongue.gif Heck, HSU won't even ship them to me. I'd be using Audyssey (Onkyo 809) to help with all acoustic problems.

The surrounds and heights need to be mounted "on" ceiling, or on the wall right below the ceiling (about 9'-9.5'). Which would be better? Do the heights or surrounds need to be aimed down or "toed" towards the main listening position if they are bipoles? Should I mount the surrounds (ceiling or wall) 90* or 110* from the main listening position? I could mount the surrounds 90* with the LS about 14' away from center and the RS about 22' away from center. Would that be a lot worse than the other placements?

Sorry for the newb questions. Any help will be truly appreciated. cool.gif

Derrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by grpape View Post

I've searched and have been reading several threads concerning the placement of surrounds and heights. I'm trying to decide exactly how to mount these four speakers (gonna use four bipoles) to get the best acoustics in my rather large unfriendly lay out. The speakers will be used in a Great Room (25'X35'X10'), which also opens up to three BRs and a stair case that leads up to the Master BR. I know that this is far from the ideal layout, but it is what it is.
My fronts are Energy C-9s, C-3, and two Acoustic 100 subs (I know weak, but shipping a big/heavy ol' sub to Hawaii costs an arm and a leg).tongue.gif Heck, HSU won't even ship them to me. I'd be using Audyssey (Onkyo 809) to help with all acoustic problems.
The surrounds and heights need to be mounted "on" ceiling, or on the wall right below the ceiling (about 9'-9.5'). Which would be better? Do the heights or surrounds need to be aimed down or "toed" towards the main listening position if they are bipoles? Should I mount the surrounds (ceiling or wall) 90* or 110* from the main listening position? I could mount the surrounds 90* with the LS about 14' away from center and the RS about 22' away from center. Would that be a lot worse than the other placements?
Sorry for the newb questions. Any help will be truly appreciated. cool.gif
Derrick

Dolby Surround Sound Speaker Placement:
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/setup/connection-guide/home-theater-speaker-guide/index.html

Also: THX Surround Sound Speaker Set Up:
http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/surround-sound-speaker-set-up/
post #3 of 3 Old 07-11-2012, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the links. I did go to them before posting. I do understand each set up, but my room isn't like either. I was hoping for some feedback by others that have had similar situations. cool.gif I just went ahead and placed the surrounds on each side (90*) of the listening spot. The RS, however, is about six feet farther out than the left. eek.gif So far, Audyssey has done a decent job of calibrating/compensating for this.

I'll give it a few weeks and then hang them on the ceiling (facing downwards to the listening spot). Try that out for a few weeks and then rinse and repeat in another spot.
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page