spl meter help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just picked up one from radio shack trying to fix up my speakers just need a little info hiting 75db.i have a HK 2600 what do i put my volume at on the avr?and do i start all speakers at -10 then go from there?i already know to use C weighting and response slow.If need to i can take pictures to give you guys a better under standing.I know when i turn my avr to 0db and all speakers -10 the spl meter reads 90db.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 04:26 AM

Liked: 13
This is what I do. Set all speakers to the middle of their range. Mine goes from -10 to +10 so I set them to '0'. Then select center channel for calibration. Set spl to 75db and increase receiver volume till meter is at '0' meaning 75db. Then select other speakers and adjust accordingly. I figure the center channel is the most important.

post #3 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter

ok im trying to understand don't mess with the DB on my speakers just the spl till it reaches 75?also i can't get it to show 75 and be in the middle like 0 here what the meter looks like i have.338
post #4 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter

also here what my settings look like on the avr right now.338
post #5 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The Rad Shack SPL meter isn't good for absolute SPL measurements anyway. Just make sure your speakers are in balance with one another at normal listening volumes.
post #6 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakstone View Post

This is what I do. Set all speakers to the middle of their range. Mine goes from -10 to +10 so I set them to '0'. Then select center channel for calibration. Set spl to 75db and increase receiver volume till meter is at '0' meaning 75db. Then select other speakers and adjust accordingly. I figure the center channel is the most important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu4000 View Post

ok im trying to understand don't mess with the DB on my speakers just the spl till it reaches 75?

Right.
Quote:

also i can't get it to show 75 and be in the middle like 0

Then just get it to show 75. Then switching the tone over the other speakers, they may be lower or higher than 75. Adjust the level on the AVR to get 75 from each speaker.

post #7 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post

The Rad Shack SPL meter isn't good for absolute SPL measurements anyway.
Laboratory grade meters aside it's as good as any and better than most. Its accuracy is a lot better than your ears. As with any 'C' weighted meter you do have to use correction factors below 50Hz.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 05:55 AM - Thread Starter

Ok i plug in -25 db which is 65 on the master volume and and got 75db on all speakers here my numbers

FL +2
Center +3
FR +4
SR+2
SL +2

does that sound about right it is a bit louder then what im use to hearing but surround sound is a bit better you can tell the direction sound easier.
post #9 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

Laboratory grade meters aside it's as good as any and better than most. Its accuracy is a lot better than your ears. As with any 'C' weighted meter you do have to use correction factors below 50Hz.

It's highly inaccurate at high frequencies as well. I've tested it against a basic behringer mic and it has a clear resonance probably caused by the plastic enclosure.

I agree that's its good enough and better than your ears, but the reason people use it is not to get an absolute measurement of 85dB, but more typically a relative measurement of the individual SPL levels of each channel. For this purpose it is well suited. Apparently the accuracy overall is +/-2dB so its not designed to be exact.

So don't freak out over exactly getting test tones to any particular reference standard. What you are caring about is channel balance. For that you are best off just using the volume level you use on your receiver the most. Baseline a speaker. From there, regardless of what that speaker measured, adjust the other speakers to that value.

So. if you measured 82dB, then from there on calibrate each speaker to 82dB.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ok i plug in -25 db which is 65 on the master volume and and got 75db on all speakers here my numbers
FL +2
Center +3
FR +4
SR+2
SL +2
does that sound about right it is a bit louder then what im use to hearing but surround sound is a bit better you can tell the direction sound easier.

Personally, since adjustments are relative, I would subtract 2 or 3 dB from each channel so you end up with:

or

I always prefer the least differential from nominal. Does it matter? Probably not, but neither does having an offset like that.
post #11 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdiver2489 View Post

It's highly inaccurate at high frequencies as well.
I agree that's its good enough and better than your ears, but the reason people use it is not to get an absolute measurement of 85dB, but more typically a relative measurement of the individual SPL levels of each channel. For this purpose it is well suited. Apparently the accuracy overall is +/-2dB so its not designed to be exact.
So don't freak out over exactly getting test tones to any particular reference standard. What you are caring about is channel balance. For that you are best off just using the volume level you use on your receiver the most. Baseline a speaker. From there, regardless of what that speaker measured, adjust the other speakers to that value.
So. if you measured 82dB, then from there on calibrate each speaker to 82dB.

So what your saying turn the volume up to what i normally listen to like 60 which would be -30db then start pumping db up on the speakers till i reach 75?
post #12 of 14 Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So what your saying turn the volume up to what i normally listen to like 60 which would be -30db then start pumping db up on the speakers till i reach 75?

No, I'm saying ignore the 75dB or 85dB reference standard because it really doesn't mean anything for the average home listener because you never listen at reference level anyway.

Turn your system to normal volume
Take a reading of one channel of your system (lets say FL = 72dB)
Make all your other speakers read 72dB.
post #13 of 14 Old 07-13-2012, 05:32 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

FL +2
Center +3
FR +4
SR+2
SL +2

This looks right, as long as all speakers read the same db level for the same volume from the receiver. Individual speaker values(-/+) don't matter. They will vary by individual speaker, distance and room acoustics. The volume level you use to watch movies/listen to music is up to you.

post #14 of 14 Old 07-13-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakstone View Post

This looks right, as long as all speakers read the same db level for the same volume from the receiver.
True with respect to all but the sub. Due to the requirements for equal loudness you may need to have the sub as much as 10dB higher than the rest to sound right. Since equal loudness varies with how loud the listening volume is there's no set rule other than put it where it sounds best.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page