Where to go from Mythos ST? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 10:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello! I need learned suggestions on full range floorstanders, that will be a real upgrade from my current Mythos St set up. Room size is 14 x 16, with 10" ceilings. 75% music, 25% HT. Looking at a total revamp of my current system which is running an Onkyo 807 receiver in a 5.1 config. Sounds loud and clear, but not as resolving as I would like. I intend to upgrade power and pre as well, but for now I want to go big on speakers. I have about 9-10k budgeted, and prefer used. Have thought about:

Wilson Sophia 1or 2
Salon 1 or 2
Watt Puppy 6-7
Paradigm S8 V3

My tastes run the gamut from Rock, Blues, Jazz to electronic music, hell even vocals. I really would love to hear from those who have upgraded from the ST's to something "higher end". I will likely be going Levinson or Pass Labs on the amp side, and Integra for the pre-pro. Not really interested in other speakers, as I am fairly well set on the above. I have only heard the Revels and older Wilsons. I realize in the end, only my ears (and wallet) can make the decision, but I am nonetheless soliciting input from those with experience as indicated above.

Many thanks,

and

Help! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Well, I would pick the Salon for sure. They measure superbly and sound fabulous.

The Wilson speakers measure very poorly. The Mythos ST measures more accurately than any Wilson speaker.

I went from DefTech BP7000SC + BP7001SC + CLR3000 + Trinity to other speakers - Salon2, KEF 201/2, Orion, Philharmonic.

For that kind of money, I want speakers that not only sound great, but also measure great. The total package. biggrin.gif

Speakers with great off-axis measurements tend to sound good in most rooms, while speakers that measure poorly off-axis only sound good in a few rooms. The Wilson measure poorly on-axis and off-axis.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

mods delete pls
post #4 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako71 View Post

Hello! I need learned suggestions on full range floorstanders, that will be a real upgrade from my current Mythos St set up. Room size is 14 x 16, with 10" ceilings. 75% music, 25% HT. Looking at a total revamp of my current system which is running an Onkyo 807 receiver in a 5.1 config. Sounds loud and clear, but not as resolving as I would like. I intend to upgrade power and pre as well, but for now I want to go big on speakers. I have about 9-10k budgeted, and prefer used. Have thought about:
Wilson Sophia 1or 2
Salon 1 or 2
Watt Puppy 6-7
Paradigm S8 V3
My tastes run the gamut from Rock, Blues, Jazz to electronic music, hell even vocals. I really would love to hear from those who have upgraded from the ST's to something "higher end". I will likely be going Levinson or Pass Labs on the amp side, and Integra for the pre-pro. Not really interested in other speakers, as I am fairly well set on the above. I have only heard the Revels and older Wilsons. I realize in the end, only my ears (and wallet) can make the decision, but I am nonetheless soliciting input from those with experience as indicated above.
Many thanks,
and
Help! smile.gif

The Salk Soundscape 8's would fit those requirements
I saw SS10 used for sale at that price.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

That's funny I just saw the SS10's for sale and thought they looked interesting. I have no familiarity with them whatsoever, but from my lurking here, they seem to have a strong fanbase on this forum. I should point out that I will need a center channel as well, but not immediately. Does Salk make same?

Thanks.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryWV View Post

The Salk Soundscape 8's would fit those requirements
I saw SS10 used for sale at that price.

Hey, wait a minute, I thought he said only the 4 speakers he listed? biggrin.gif

Otherwise the Studio2, KEF 205/2, & Philharmonic 3 speakers would be great.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Yes
Sound Scape Center is available.
Salk is the real deal. Judging by your choices listed
it would be worth every second that you can spend reading up
on the company and products Jim Salk offers.
They are sweet and VALUE priced when comparing against competion.
WVchris
post #8 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Well, I would pick the Salon for sure. They measure superbly and sound fabulous.
The Wilson speakers measure very poorly. The Mythos ST measures more accurately than any Wilson speaker.
I went from DefTech BP7000SC + BP7001SC + CLR3000 + Trinity to other speakers - Salon2, KEF 201/2, Orion, Philharmonic.
For that kind of money, I want speakers that not only sound great, but also measure great. The total package. biggrin.gif
Speakers with great off-axis measurements tend to sound good in most rooms, while speakers that measure poorly off-axis only sound good in a few rooms. The Wilson measure poorly on-axis and off-axis.

I assume you are talking Salon 2's and not 1's? For that matter are the Salon 1's even relevant these days as a "bargain" audiophile choice given their prices, or do you say skip them and move rt to the Salon2's? Will there be an appreciable increase in sq b/w the St's and the Salon2's? Loaded question to be sure, as S'2's will need power (not an Onkyo receiver). But assume say a pair of Levinson 436 driving both ST and Salon 2.

Many thanks!
post #9 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako71 View Post

I assume you are talking Salon 2's and not 1's? For that matter are the Salon 1's even relevant these days as a "bargain" audiophile choice given their prices, or do you say skip them and move rt to the Salon2's? Will there be an appreciable increase in sq b/w the St's and the Salon2's? Loaded question to be sure, as S'2's will need power (not an Onkyo receiver). But assume say a pair of Levinson 436 driving both ST and Salon 2.
Many thanks!

There is certainly an issue of point of diminishing returns. Difficult to quantify.

I consider the ST to be pretty good sounding. But not in the same league as the Ultima2 or KEF Reference in terms of SQ and measurements.

If you want to spend a lot of money on dream speakers, I think the money should go to speakers that measure great and sound great. Why even bother with speakers that measure poorly? That's just my take. From one DefTech alumni to another. wink.gif

I thought my DefTech sounded great too - better than most speakers, but not the Salon2, Studio2, or KEF Reference. DefTech speakers will never measure as superbly as these speakers. DefTech lack that ultra clarity and details found in these speakers.

I think my Phil3, however, sound just as great as the Salon2, KEF Reference, & Orion. Just my opinion.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

There is certainly an issue of point of diminishing returns. Difficult to quantify.
I consider the ST to be pretty good sounding. But not in the same league as the Ultima2 or KEF Reference in terms of SQ and measurements.
If you want to spend a lot of money on dream speakers, I think the money should go to speakers that measure great and sound great. Why even bother with speakers that measure poorly? That's just my take. From one DefTech alumni to another. wink.gif
I thought my DefTech sounded great too - better than most speakers, but not the Salon2, Studio2, or KEF Reference. DefTech speakers will never measure as superbly as these speakers. DefTech lack that ultra clarity and details found in these speakers.
I think my Phil3, however, sound just as great as the Salon2, KEF Reference, & Orion. Just my opinion.

Many thanks for the insight!
post #11 of 12 Old 07-11-2012, 07:08 PM

Liked: 10
Are you selling your ST's? Please let me know as I'm seriously considering these.
Thanks,
Chris
post #12 of 12 Old 07-12-2012, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyone View Post

Are you selling your ST's? Please let me know as I'm seriously considering these.
Thanks,
Chris

I am. PM me for details. I'm in Jacksonville, FL and would have a hard time shipping, so... I'd like a local ftf sale if possible. I also see your thread count here is as sparse as mine, so please don't be from Nigeria, etc lol.

Thanks!
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page