please recommend quality wireless (or other related option) rear speakers/transmitters to add to a new 5.1 or 7.1 system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-11-2012, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have never used or setup wireless speakers before, but have a room in my new house that leaves little options but wireless-I think... Everything is finished above and below, and the rears are centered in the back by stairs in the middle, plus I don't wan t to run wires across my hardwood floors. This will be in om,so a high traffic/interference area. What options do I have for the 2 rear speakers-prefer wall mounted? Also, I would like to add on 2 wireless outdoor speakers as well, they can be on the same zone/source, I can plug them into the 7.1 back surround if that will work ok...

Anyone have any info, advice, or used something that has worked well? biggrin.gif

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 327
The wireless option will depends of what type of speakers you are using.I don't think that option will do a good job on speakers that required high watts.

there are flat wires that will perfectly hide on walls by painting then.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

flat speaker wires could work, but they would have to go up the wall, over the ceiling, not to excited about that...

I didn't know that the wattage effected wireless reception, but then again I have a bit to learn about wireless. 2 of my options I am considering are:
  1. http://www.amazon.com/Rocketifsh-Universal-Wireless-Speaker-RF-WHTIB/dp/B000VEP3XO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pdT1_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FTZXLBNIU8ZK&colid=3EDKW2MLXLIGI

[LIST=2]
[*] http://www.amazon.com/KEF-UWIRELESS-Wireless-System/dp/B004ISLCS4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1X6C5MSXOCGT8&colid=3EDKW2MLXLIGI
[*]
[*]
[/LIST]
Old 07-12-2012, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

I also think that with those wireless kits, sound quality maybe not be the same as straight wires from the receiver to the speakers.

Panasonic 65VT60 / Marantz SR7005 / Marantz UD7007 /2 PSA XS30 /Revel Performa3 F206 / Revel Performa3 C205 / Revel Surrounds/Sonos Connect/ Roku 3 / Amazon Fire tv / Xbox One / HTPC / Darbee 5000 /Sonos for bedrooms,kitchen,bathroom/Master bedroom Sonos sound bar/Sonos sub and Sonos surrounds.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
Outlaw Audio has some wireless equipment. They have a good reputation for their other electronics.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAWA3.html
http://www.outlawaudio.com/products/OAW3.html

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Old 07-12-2012, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

these look interesting, thanks!

with all of this wireless stuff I worry that in use they will not work/sound as great as what they sound like on paper...

Anyone tried these or any other wireless system with success?
Old 07-12-2012, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I've got experience with both the Rocketfish unit and the Outlaw Audio OAW3.

The OAW3 is currently in use for my side surrounds in my living room, using a small amp at the rear of the room to power the speakers and the "wireless" unit works flawlessly. Sound is plenty good for surrounds.

The Rocketfish is in use for a zone 2 application in the garage -- again, it works just fine. It has a built in amp and the volume levels are fine for that application as well.

These are called "wireless" but you still need wires from your amp (if using the OAW3)/Rocketfish receiver to the speakers, plus a power cord, so you'll need to consider that, but as far as how they work and sound - no problems.

You could also use some powered monitors if you wanted to forego a separate amp (or just try the Rocketfish or powered Outlaw OAWA3 unit).

If you're looking for audiophile-quality and high SPLs, then these probably aren't your solution, but for surround duty, a subwoofer, or a lower-volume, non-critical listening set-up they do fine (for me anyways). YMMV.

My personal preference is the Outlaw unit. It's smaller and I like the multiple connection options available.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

The Outlaw looks like the best solution vs the other kits, just hope you have a place to hide the box and power plug,other wise it will look messy in the back.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

good point on the wires, and thanks for all the info-I will check them both out for sure!
Old 07-14-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Also check out the Amphony Model 1600:
http://www.amphony.com/products/wireless-speaker-kit.htm
Old 07-15-2012, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
If you have a table or shelf this is another option if not going the direct speaker route:

http://www.polkaudio.com/products/series/fx

I use mine on the floor behind the leather sofa and it works fine. Hardly ever listen to music in stereo anymore now that I have 5.1 or even 7.1 (albeit synthesized through a Controlled Dispersion Array).