Center Channel Advice....Which one?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 07-11-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,
I am new to AVS. I am having some trouble deciding on a center channel for my system and am hoping to get your adivce. My front L and R speakers are Speakercraft MT6 Threes, my rear speakers are Speakercraft AIM 7 Threes and I have yet to get subwoofer. My TV is Panasonic VIERA TC-P55VT50.

I am trying to get a center channel that will be sound matched and produce a nice even flow within the system above. I was originally thinking about the Bowers & Wilkins HTM61 or the HTM62. What do you think about those? Any others that you think are comparable or better? My max price for the center channel is right at $650. Also, if you have any thoughts on a matching sub, I'd be curious to know that as well.

Many thanks to those that take the time to respond....greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 359
I'd probably call Speakercraft and see what they recommend. It's a bad idea to go with different manufacturers for the front 3 channels, so sticking with Speakercraft is probably your best option.

If you take yourself too seriously expect me to do the exact opposite
post #3 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
^ What he said.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #4 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 767
Agreed. Plus, the HTM61 does not have a great reputation as a center channel.

For subs, look at Internet direct brands like HSU, SVS, Outlaw Audio, and Rythmik. They are always a good value for a subwoofer purchase, and typically much better than most traditional brick and mortar store speaker brands because they don't have to pay a middleman or spend as much on marketing. Research on the AVS subwoofer forum, and you'll see that these brands are the most often recommended.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #5 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 47
As I currently own and use a B&W HTM61 as my center channel, I will have to disagree. It is quite excellent for a center. Reproduces dialogue very clearly and is easily driven to loud levels. However, I do agree that you should not mix and match the LCR, as that is arguably the most important part of the system besides the sub. However, you CAN get a different sub than your LCR (or speakercrafts, or whatever.) What would help narrow down Sub suggestions (as others have already suggested, you will get the typical "everything" answer) is a specific price you want for a sub and your expectations.

If one is going to make a simplistic assessment of the value of different alignments, it would be that sealed/IB goes the lowest, at the highest cost per dB; horns have the lowest cost per dB at the expense of size, and vented box characteristics lie in between the other two. None is inherently superior across the board, neither is any inherently inferior across the board. The one to use is the one that fits your response and output needs, available space and bank account. -BFM
post #6 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thanks for the advice. This helps. The reason I was going to go with a spearate center channel is that when the Front L and R were installed there was not a cut out for the center channel. I was hoping to just get one that matched closely, but as you say, that might not be best. Thanks for the advice on the Subwoofer as well.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 253
I suggest the Mordaunt-Short Carnival 5 Center speaker, which is only $250 and is very good.

Do not make the mistake of getting a center speaker with drivers that are 5" or larger; that is too big.

A center speaker should give maximum clarity between 100 and 3 Khz. It should NOT put out any bass, so larger speakers are counter-productive. Smaller is better. 3 to 4 inches is ideal.
post #8 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

I suggest the Mordaunt-Short Carnival 5 Center speaker, which is only $250 and is very good.

Do not make the mistake of getting a center speaker with drivers that are 5" or larger; that is too big.

A center speaker should give maximum clarity between 100 and 3 Khz. It should NOT put out any bass, so larger speakers are counter-productive. Smaller is better. 3 to 4 inches is ideal.

Why do you keep posting this fallacy?
post #9 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The only reason I would explore using a center channel different from your fronts is if you plan to also upgrade your fronts in the near future as well. If you don't, then go with the same brand. Ideally, it is best to get the exact same speaker as your fronts. The next best option is to get a center that is properly 'matched' to the fronts.
post #11 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Can't say I'd agree with this, and neither would my M&K S150AC center channel (which has 5 1/4" drivers). In fact, my next speaker purchase (whenever that is) will have 6 1/2" drivers across all three front speakers...
post #12 of 18 Old 07-13-2012, 09:44 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

To meet the THX specs it must go down to 80HZ which kills your idea. I have the Definitive Technology Mythos Eight center which has 5.25" speakers; are you saying that my center is not good for maximum clarity?!?!? The center speaker should be the biggest investment in the system for the mere fact that if you are watching movies all the dialouge comes from the center speaker. If you skimp on the center speaker it will sound weak and will be overshadowed from the towers and sub. A good movie to test out the center is any of the Transformers movie and listen to Optimus Prime Voice.

post #13 of 18 Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
ENERGY RCL
post #14 of 18 Old 07-14-2012, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Senior clueless strikes again. You really need to stop trying to give advice because all that I have seen you provide is bad advice.

post #15 of 18 Old 07-14-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviceSoundGuy View Post

Thanks for the advice. This helps. The reason I was going to go with a spearate center channel is that when the Front L and R were installed there was not a cut out for the center channel. I was hoping to just get one that matched closely, but as you say, that might not be best. Thanks for the advice on the Subwoofer as well.
Just make your own cutout for it, it's not that hard. If there is a stud in the way all you have to do is cut a small bit of it out of the way and then build a frame around like you would a door or a window.

post #16 of 18 Old 07-14-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Quote:

Senior clueless strikes again. You really need to stop trying to give advice because all that I have seen you provide is bad advice.

at least he is consistent... tongue.gif

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #17 of 18 Old 07-14-2012, 06:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Just make your own cutout for it, it's not that hard. If there is a stud in the way all you have to do is cut a small bit of it out of the way and then build a frame around like you would a door or a window.

No wider than the opening needed for a typical center speaker, the header could be a couple of 2x4's with some 1/2" plywood in between.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #18 of 18 Old 07-14-2012, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

True, I was just trying to give him an idea of what I was talking about.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page