What is the difference in sound between Salon 1 and 2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 07-12-2012, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am so on the fence with these (and a couple of others smile.gif . I started a thread yesterday on upgrading from my Mythos ST, and the Salon was suggested from my list of choices. I heard the original design years ago and liked it a lot. To me, it had a very refined sound when paired with an all Levinson front end. I've not heard the 2's, but the reviews are effusive with praise. I guess I'd like to know among other things what your opinions are (quantifiable or otherwise) on how the two speakers differ, which is the better value, and which you prefer? Does anyone actually like the sound of the legacy Salon better than the 2? Would the Salon 1's be dynamic enough for HT duty, given their low efficiency?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-16-2012, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako71 View Post

I am so on the fence with these (and a couple of others smile.gif . I started a thread yesterday on upgrading from my Mythos ST, and the Salon was suggested from my list of choices. I heard the original design years ago and liked it a lot. To me, it had a very refined sound when paired with an all Levinson front end. I've not heard the 2's, but the reviews are effusive with praise. I guess I'd like to know among other things what your opinions are (quantifiable or otherwise) on how the two speakers differ, which is the better value, and which you prefer? Does anyone actually like the sound of the legacy Salon better than the 2? Would the Salon 1's be dynamic enough for HT duty, given their low efficiency?

OPINION:

The original Salon was an amazing speaker that set a very high standard, especially among direct radiator speakers. At its price point, I found no other speaker that could match it let alone surpass it, based on my experience, examination of its performance characteristics, auditioning, and personal preference. Others may feel differently, but I thought it was exceptional and remains so today.

The Salon2 is better.

Its inverted Ti domes are some of my favorite direct radiators with their precise and powerful output, and the new Be tweeter is sensational. The improved baffle really improves the imaging and cuts down on unwanted deflections and reflections. The improved networks are great at managing the drivers's FR. Given that the Salon2 can be had for about 65-70% of retail, I'd have to get a real bargain to justify getting the original Salon, and then I think I'd be feeling I missed the boat.

I have not owned either model, though I've heard them in numerous venues, including the designer's house, and the only thing that kept me from getting the Salon2s was the chance to get a pair of JBL K2 S9900 speakers at an unbelievable price.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page