$4000 budget - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 45 Old 07-13-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,200
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Nop, the NR818 is 7.2 only. With NR1010 you get 9.2 and with NR3010/NR5010 you get 11.2 (11.4 according to Onkyo spec). Also, pre - out are RCA. RCA is OK if you are running less than 15 ft interconnects. To get balanced outputs (XLR) you will need to look into pre - pro options like the Integra DHC-80.3 or Onkyo PR-SC5508.

Best Regards,

Enrico Castagnetti
Rythmik Audio

 

My Multimedia Room Gallery

enricoclaudio is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 45 Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
WagBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

Trouble is, there are probably proponents of 20 different vendors who would all make the same claim.

that is my point exactly. all subjective. someone was saying "don't buy polks there are all these speakers better then them "
WagBoss is offline  
post #33 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 12:23 AM
Member
 
yveletnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 99
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Another member recently bought a 5.0 KEF Q set from Vanns for $2,200 shipped: Q900 x 2 L/R, Q600 x 1 C, Q800 x 2 Surrounds.
So adding another Q800 or just get Q100 x 4 surrounds would be even cheaper (instead of Q800 surrounds).
Give Vanns a call.
If not, give Onecall & Electronics Expo a call.
Another option is the Revel Concerta line. A pair of Revel F12 shipped new is $1260. So matching center + surrounds is probably under $3K.

Yeah, I'm that member with KEF set, just finished wall-mounting Q800s and connecting the HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub, man that thing is a beast, it makes Q900s look small. The fedex driver called and sad that he will not carry that thing upstairs:). Blowing the roof off my apartment tomorrow.
But Q900s seems to be the thing I was looking for and for their price they are just awesome. They look kinda cheap but removing grills helps a lot.

I would guess $2,7k for the
2 Q900 Floorstanding speakers
2 Q800 Surround sound speakers
2 Q300 Bookshelf speakers
1 Q600 Center speaker
all new, no open boxes, free shipping, authorized dealer, the whole shabang.

then get a couple of SVSs or HSUs for 1K+ and you are set

let me know if you need help dealing with VANNS
yveletnik is offline  
post #34 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by yveletnik View Post

Yeah, I'm that member with KEF set, just finished wall-mounting Q800s and connecting the HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub, man that thing is a beast, it makes Q900s look small. The fedex driver called and sad that he will not carry that thing upstairs:). Blowing the roof off my apartment tomorrow.
But Q900s seems to be the thing I was looking for and for their price they are just awesome. They look kinda cheap but removing grills helps a lot.
I would guess $2,7k for the
2 Q900 Floorstanding speakers
2 Q800 Surround sound speakers
2 Q300 Bookshelf speakers
1 Q600 Center speaker
all new, no open boxes, free shipping, authorized dealer, the whole shabang.
then get a couple of SVSs or HSUs for 1K+ and you are set
let me know if you need help dealing with VANNS

Yeah, I'm trying to inform folks of your great experience, but some folks find the deal you got a little unbelievable. biggrin.gif

I guess some folks are used to paying 100% MRSP, while some of us are used to 30-50% off MSRP even from authorized dealers listed on the speaker company's website. biggrin.gif
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #35 of 45 Old 07-14-2012, 03:33 PM
Member
 
GiTcHaSuM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: The Lone Star State
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

Yeah, I'm trying to inform folks of your great experience, but some folks find the deal you got a little unbelievable. biggrin.gif
I guess some folks are used to paying 100% MRSP, while some of us are used to 30-50% off MSRP even from authorized dealers listed on the speaker company's website. biggrin.gif

I used to think that way myself. I thought that you had to pay full MSRP for new speakers. Then I saw terrific deals at Vanns for the speakers that I had been eying for a few months. That deal was too good to pass up so I pulled the trigger and paid less than 40% of MSRP for my 7 speaker setup that I now have. Now that I've had them for several weeks, I still can't believe they were so cheap, but I'm sure glad they were!! biggrin.gif
GiTcHaSuM is offline  
post #36 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sn1ffb0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post

Nop, the NR818 is 7.2 only. With NR1010 you get 9.2 and with NR3010/NR5010 you get 11.2 (11.4 according to Onkyo spec). Also, pre - out are RCA. RCA is OK if you are running less than 15 ft interconnects. To get balanced outputs (XLR) you will need to look into pre - pro options like the Integra DHC-80.3 or Onkyo PR-SC5508.

Not even with an external amp?

HD = Heaven
sn1ffb0 is offline  
post #37 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

By all means, listening IN YOUR OWN HOME is the only real way to compare and find out which sounds the best.
Listening in stores is useless because the acoustics and the associated equipment are so different as to make that kind of listening a waste of time.
So how many people will actually go to the work of taking two or more systems home and doing a real test that is of some use?
KEF and PSB speakers have repeatedly been tested by respected reviewers and rated outstanding, and my listening concurs with theirs. They have a track record of producing outstanding speakers in this price range.
As for loving something...some guys love women I wouldn't go within 20 feet of, so there is no accounting for statements like " some people just love their $49.95 XYZ 9.2 speaker system".

This should have been your comment in Post # 17. I have PSB in one system. I have listened to MA and KEF. My main system is Klipsch KG's.
I like the Klipsch better. I could foolishly say that all but the Klipsch are a waste of money . I would then get the flames that I deserve.
If you do not think Klipsch has a track record for outstanding speakers then you need to educate yourself. OTH, Klipsch may not be your cup of tea because they do not use those tiny drivers that you like.
MUDCAT45 is offline  
post #38 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

This should have been your comment in Post # 17. I have PSB in one system. I have listened to MA and KEF. My main system is Klipsch KG's.
I like the Klipsch better. I could foolishly say that all but the Klipsch are a waste of money . I would then get the flames that I deserve.
If you do not think Klipsch has a track record for outstanding speakers then you need to educate yourself. OTH, Klipsch may not be your cup of tea because they do not use those tiny drivers that you like.

I think Klipsch can sound very good in some rooms and not very good in some rooms.

But historically, Klipsch speakers have not measured well compared to Revel, Infinity, JBL, KEF, Paradigm, PSB, etc.

Look at the Klipsch Palladium Measurements. Not great. Now they may sound great, but they just don't measure great. biggrin.gif
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #39 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sn1ffb0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I think Klipsch can sound very good in some rooms and not very good in some rooms.
But historically, Klipsch speakers have not measured well compared to Revel, Infinity, JBL, KEF, Paradigm, PSB, etc.
Look at the Klipsch Palladium Measurements. Not great. Now they may sound great, but they just don't measure great. biggrin.gif

Sounds almost like a Sharp Elite television. They do not measure great, but they look great. wink.gif

HD = Heaven
sn1ffb0 is offline  
post #40 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuDefTechGuy View Post

I think Klipsch can sound very good in some rooms and not very good in some rooms.
But historically, Klipsch speakers have not measured well compared to Revel, Infinity, JBL, KEF, Paradigm, PSB, etc.
Look at the Klipsch Palladium Measurements. Not great. Now they may sound great, but they just don't measure great. biggrin.gif

I agree that Klipsch does not measure all that good. However, I think this discussion is more about preference than measurements. Dynaudio usually measures as good as any, however they are rarely recommended. Subjectively speaking I think PSB sounds very good but some lack in fullness, Paradigm also has a thin sound (most that I have recently listened to). Auditioned some JBL and Revel recently (as you know). Neither excited me enough to invest. I did get the Revel sub though (thanks).
My main point was that we should not be so critical of brands simply because we do not like them. I understand that you have long been a Bose fan.smile.gif
MUDCAT45 is offline  
post #41 of 45 Old 07-16-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,277
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I agree that Klipsch does not measure all that good. However, I think this discussion is more about preference than measurements. Dynaudio usually measures as good as any, however they are rarely recommended. Subjectively speaking I think PSB sounds very good but some lack in fullness, Paradigm also has a thin sound (most that I have recently listened to). Auditioned some JBL and Revel recently (as you know). Neither excited me enough to invest. I did get the Revel sub though (thanks).
My main point was that we should not be so critical of brands simply because we do not like them. I understand that you have long been a Bose fan.smile.gif

How..............dare..................you. mad.gifbiggrin.gif

Do not..............I repeat..............do not touch my Bose! mad.gifbiggrin.gif

I know what you mean. I'm guilty as anyone. Sometimes we forget that we're all simply different. We think everyone feels and hears exactly as we do. biggrin.gif

We simply forget.

I've heard the Klipsch RF-83 and liked them, although they measured +3.04/–4.40 dB on HTM.

I've owned the DefTech BP7000SC and loved their sound, even though they measured +/- 3.7dB on HTM.

I just auditioned the B&W 802D and I thought they sounded great, even though their on-axis and off-axis measurements were worse than the Infinity P362.

A lot of variables. Room. Placement. Some speakers are more affected than others.

I see a lot of guys bash Klipsch, DefTech, B&W, etc. I'm just as guilty.

Sometimes we just forget that we are all different. biggrin.gif
AcuDefTechGuy is offline  
post #42 of 45 Old 07-31-2012, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
sn1ffb0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 117
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I agree that Klipsch does not measure all that good. However, I think this discussion is more about preference than measurements. Dynaudio usually measures as good as any, however they are rarely recommended. Subjectively speaking I think PSB sounds very good but some lack in fullness, Paradigm also has a thin sound (most that I have recently listened to). Auditioned some JBL and Revel recently (as you know). Neither excited me enough to invest. I did get the Revel sub though (thanks).
My main point was that we should not be so critical of brands simply because we do not like them. I understand that you have long been a Bose fan.smile.gif

Is Klipsch good for strictly HT use?

HD = Heaven
sn1ffb0 is offline  
post #43 of 45 Old 07-31-2012, 02:31 PM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1ffb0 View Post

Is Klipsch good for strictly HT use?

Absolutely.

biggrin.gif

-
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #44 of 45 Old 07-31-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn1ffb0 View Post

Is Klipsch good for strictly HT use?

Brand name does not make a speaker better for HT or music. Klipsch offers numerous series and they do not all sound the same. I use KG series and IMO they are excellent for both music and HT. This is true of a lot of Klipsch. Some are not so good with either application. Same can be said of most brands.
MUDCAT45 is offline  
post #45 of 45 Old 07-31-2012, 04:11 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 8,329
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked: 524
OPer, we need to know more information to make a determination on what would be a good recommendation for you.
What is your listening distance?
What SPL levels do you like to listen?
How much listening is HT and how much music?
Any limitations on speaker size or type?

Required SPL levels can help determine if a speaker can even be considered as an option. Let us know these answers and then we can see what speakers meet your requirements.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off