Need recommendations, looking at getting a pair of B&W 685 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-14-2012, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
BudgetNoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there other bookshelf or towers that any of you would recommend over the 685 that you feel would be better at a comparable price?

This will be my first purchase of higher end audio. (Higher end from my perspective at least) smile.gif

Setting up a 5.1 but starting with 3.1. I will be using the 685s as my my Front L/R

Would also like recommendations on a center channel and sub to match with about $1000 total to spend on both.

I plan on getting the Pioneer Elite SC-65 to run it all or the SC-55 if I can find a good deal.

Thanks for your help!!!
BudgetNoob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
BudgetNoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay, so I've just been given the opportunity to purchase open box/never used Paradigm Monitor 7 v6 for $700 for the pair. Is this a good deal? I think they sound as good or better than the B&W 684 maybe even the 683.
This would seem the way to go over a bookshelf.

Thoughts?
BudgetNoob is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
WagBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The paradigms are cheaper and you like them better... so... you answered your own question? :P
WagBoss is offline  
post #4 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
BudgetNoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WagBoss View Post

The paradigms are cheaper and you like them better... so... you answered your own question? :P

Haha! True, I guess, I just want to know that the Monitor 7v6 is a good speaker. As a noob to this type of purchase certainly you can understand my need for a little validation.
BudgetNoob is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Assume you're auditioning in a store? Why spend so much on the AVR compared to the speakers? I'd spend more on speakers less on the avr as it seems your total budget could handle that. For the center why not a third 685, that would be the best way to match or are you looking for the traditional sideways configuration of the center? I listened to a pair of 685s and wasn't all that impressed personally, ended up with Ascends (ID brand). What subs are you considering? I'd definitely go ID for the sub.

lovinthehd is online now  
post #6 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member
 
WagBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yes the monitor 7's are good speakers. Paradigm makes very good quality speakers. Honestly all that matters is how they sound to your ear though. For a center you want to get a matching one, so either the center 1 or the center 3 from the monitor 7 line.
WagBoss is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
BudgetNoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Assume you're auditioning in a store? Why spend so much on the AVR compared to the speakers? I'd spend more on speakers less on the avr as it seems your total budget could handle that. For the center why not a third 685, that would be the best way to match or are you looking for the traditional sideways configuration of the center? I listened to a pair of 685s and wasn't all that impressed personally, ended up with Ascends (ID brand). What subs are you considering? I'd definitely go ID for the sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

Assume you're auditioning in a store? Why spend so much on the AVR compared to the speakers? I'd spend more on speakers less on the avr as it seems your total budget could handle that. For the center why not a third 685, that would be the best way to match or are you looking for the traditional sideways configuration of the center? I listened to a pair of 685s and wasn't all that impressed personally, ended up with Ascends (ID brand). What subs are you considering? I'd definitely go ID for the sub.

To answer the AVR question, I fell in love with the sound reproduction on the SC-55. Could you recommend an AVR that would be comparable quality at a lower price?

Now that I've heard the Monitor7s , I think I'll move away from the 685s.

I haven't tackled the sub yet but appreciate your input. I'll look into the ID brand.
BudgetNoob is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lovinthehd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: OROR
Posts: 6,605
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 779
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetNoob View Post

To answer the AVR question, I fell in love with the sound reproduction on the SC-55. Could you recommend an AVR that would be comparable quality at a lower price?
Now that I've heard the Monitor7s , I think I'll move away from the 685s.
I haven't tackled the sub yet but appreciate your input. I'll look into the ID brand.

I have a Pioneer VSX919 for my bedroom and an Onkyo HTRC370 (with mains driven by Carver amps from the preouts) in my living room, and some older Sony 5 ch and Pioneer 3 ch avr's on the shelf. They all sounded fine. I also use some Carver separates in the bar/bike shop. Blindfolded with equivalent setup (i.e. direct so no other processing going on) I'd be hard pressed to tell a difference. Engaged dsp and room correction...that's different; I liked some of the features of the Pioneer MCACC over the Audyssey in my Onkyo, but the Audyssey can eq my sub (until I get a stand alone unit). I spent $350 on the Pioneer and $500 on the Onkyo.

ID just means internet direct....try Epik, Hsu, SVS, Rythmik, etc

lovinthehd is online now  
post #9 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 07:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 11,719
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Agreed on the subwoofer ID brands. They are much better values than traditional speaker brand subs. Research and ask questions in the AVS subwoofer forum.

For a receiver, check out the Denon 3312. Last year's model with Audyssey MultiEQ XT and Dynamic EQ. As lovinthehd pointed out, the reason to go with this over the Pioneer would be because of Audyssey. Subwoofers almost always need EQ help to get a fairly flat frequency response in a room.

Now if you want to go with a Pioneer, you can add in a separate subwoofer EQ. The Anti-Mode 8033 is a nice unit. Much like MCACC and Audyssey, you plug in a mic and it automatically EQs the subwoofer output for the listening position. I have the older 8033B, and I can tell a big difference. But it is a little pricey, which is why many people go with an Audyssey receiver that are interested in having better bass output.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 07-15-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
BudgetNoob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Agreed on the subwoofer ID brands. They are much better values than traditional speaker brand subs. Research and ask questions in the AVS subwoofer forum.
For a receiver, check out the Denon 3312. Last year's model with Audyssey MultiEQ XT and Dynamic EQ. As lovinthehd pointed out, the reason to go with this over the Pioneer would be because of Audyssey. Subwoofers almost always need EQ help to get a fairly flat frequency response in a room.
Now if you want to go with a Pioneer, you can add in a separate subwoofer EQ. The Anti-Mode 8033 is a nice unit. Much like MCACC and Audyssey, you plug in a mic and it automatically EQs the subwoofer output for the listening position. I have the older 8033B, and I can tell a big difference. But it is a little pricey, which is why many people go with an Audyssey receiver that are interested in having better bass output.

I started my sub research a few hours ago and after reading the forums here and more specifically the Sub shootout, I'm really interested in the Hsu VTF15 but that would be overkill in the space I'm using. And I really really want to stay as close to my original sub budget of $500. I think the VTF2 MK4 will do the trick just fine. I have a nice little corner space for it next to the couch.

The SC-55 is certainly at the top end of my receiver budget but the range from it is just incredible (to my ears at least.) I'll need to check some return policies, I may get the Denon and if it sounds like I think it should I keep it if not return it for the Elite.

Thanks for the feedback guys I've learned quite a bit in a day. Just don't quiz me. biggrin.gif
BudgetNoob is offline  
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off