Advice on athena 5.1 or 7.1 setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My dream has come true, I am moving into a new house and would like some advice on what might be best for my speaker setup.

I have lots of Athena speakers, 4 F2.2's, 4 B1.2's, a C1.2 and an Athena P4100 sub.

The room dimensions are slightly awkward: an L shape with the screen at the bottom of the L and the seating in the long part of the L. I want to optimize sound for middle of the room, where I will put my pair of his and hers recliners. The room is 24' deep, 17' across at the screen (with a 6x9 screen) and 13' across at the top of the L. Also I plan to put risers for seating in the rear so if I put the F2.2's in the rear they will be about 16" higher than the front F2.2's.

I am not sure how I should setup the speakers. I have been trying to read some, and I am wondering if I do a 5.1 with the F2.2's and C1.2 in the LCR and use the F2.2 for floor standers in the rear, but I can't find anywhere if the F2.2's will work okay in the rear.

Would a 7.1 with F2.2 and C1.2 for front and 4 B1.2's for rear and surrounds be a better option?

Also I know this isn't the correct sub-forum, but I will need a new receiver as I need an HDMI 1.4a compatible receiver for the 3D projector (considering Optoma HD33). Any thoughts on that would be great.

Lastly, should I consider selling the speakers and adding some dollars to just upgrade the speakers? Would I be happier by selling and adding $500-1000 to the revenue from the sell and upgrading?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngwyn View Post

My dream has come true, I am moving into a new house and would like some advice on what might be best for my speaker setup.

I have lots of Athena speakers, 4 F2.2's, 4 B1.2's, a C1.2 and an Athena P4100 sub.

The room dimensions are slightly awkward: an L shape with the screen at the bottom of the L and the seating in the long part of the L. I want to optimize sound for middle of the room, where I will put my pair of his and hers recliners. The room is 24' deep, 17' across at the screen (with a 6x9 screen) and 13' across at the top of the L. Also I plan to put risers for seating in the rear so if I put the F2.2's in the rear they will be about 16" higher than the front F2.2's.

I am not sure how I should setup the speakers. I have been trying to read some, and I am wondering if I do a 5.1 with the F2.2's and C1.2 in the LCR and use the F2.2 for floor standers in the rear, but I can't find anywhere if the F2.2's will work okay in the rear.

Would a 7.1 with F2.2 and C1.2 for front and 4 B1.2's for rear and surrounds be a better option?

Also I know this isn't the correct sub-forum, but I will need a new receiver as I need an HDMI 1.4a compatible receiver for the 3D projector (considering Optoma HD33). Any thoughts on that would be great.

Lastly, should I consider selling the speakers and adding some dollars to just upgrade the speakers? Would I be happier by selling and adding $500-1000 to the revenue from the sell and upgrading?

Thank you!

I thought I was reading my own thread, same speakers, same odd shaped room...smile.gif

I would definitaly put the F2 up front with the Bs has surrounds. Check my sig. for pics and examples.

Of course I'm bias a little:D but for what you could get for your Athenas and what you could get for that money, I say keep the speakers and invest in a proper sub and receiver. The Athenas are pretty sensitive so any receiver will drive them with ease. I'm favoring receivers that utilise Audyssey room correction. Denon with be my choice as it uses a better Audyssey version compare to the similar Onkyo model. But that's me.

Can't help you on the projector as I'm just starting to get familiar with them myself.

cheers
post #3 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 133

Agree, speakers are decent, spend your money on a better sub(s) and receiver.  But of the speakers, the C1 is by far the weak link.  I replaced mine with a B2 and the difference is night and day.  Much better coverage across the listening area compared to the horizontal center. 

post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

I replaced mine with a B2 and the difference is night and day.  Much better coverage across the listening area compared to the horizontal center. 

I have got to find a way to work that out.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

I thought I was reading my own thread, same speakers, same odd shaped room...smile.gif
I would definitaly put the F2 up front with the Bs has surrounds. Check my sig. for pics and examples.
Of course I'm bias a little:D but for what you could get for your Athenas and what you could get for that money, I say keep the speakers and invest in a proper sub and receiver. The Athenas are pretty sensitive so any receiver will drive them with ease. I'm favoring receivers that utilise Audyssey room correction. Denon with be my choice as it uses a better Audyssey version compare to the similar Onkyo model. But that's me.
Can't help you on the projector as I'm just starting to get familiar with them myself.
cheers

Thank you for the response. I am going to seek out your original thread, hoping to glean all the information I can. I am relieved the speakers are "good enough", I was re-auditioning them tonight with some direct stereo music to the fronts (I don't think I had ever done that before without the sub) and these speakers are truly amazing for the price

I was just looking at the 2312 and 2112, it appears the primary difference is going to be output. I don't care much about the networkability because there will be plenty of other devices in the media cabinet that can stream audio. Could you recommend one receiver over the other, 2312 vs 2112 or something else entirely?

Also it sounds like you would build a 7.1 with the B1's for the 4 surrounds. Any thoughts on the F2's: would they be useful in the surrounds anywhere or would they just outmatch?

If the F2's are just too much then I am thinking I may use them downstairs with the "family room" in a "new" 2.0/3.1 setup.

*edited for clarity.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetimeguy View Post

Agree, speakers are decent, spend your money on a better sub(s) and receiver.  But of the speakers, the C1 is by far the weak link.  I replaced mine with a B2 and the difference is night and day.  Much better coverage across the listening area compared to the horizontal center. 

Would it be worth seeking out a used B2 (hard to find singles, but have found the pairs for $180, shipped)? I assume a B1 for the center would be worse than the C1. Would the C1 work better vertical?

Can you see any use for the F2's in this theater room or should I throw them to the downstairs for a 2.0/3.1 hybrid setup?

Thanks,
Nathan
post #7 of 8 Old 07-16-2012, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

I have got to find a way to work that out.

I have found a pair of B2's on eBay for 130, it is $55 to ship the pair to my house, but the seller might be willing to split the pair, ship one to you and one to me and we can split the cost. I would order them and facilitate the deal and then you would just need to paypal me the money. Probably $65/ea plus whatever shipping is to you and then my shipping cost. They are shipping from Ohio (ZIP: 44904).

*added zip code
post #8 of 8 Old 07-17-2012, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a diagram of the room with the seating and wall treatments roughed in.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page