KEF iq30 vs Axiom M2v3 vs Paradigm Mini - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know much about this stuff and would love other's input. Love to listen to all kinds of music. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 252
The paradigm Mini Monitors are only rated to go down to 75 Hz, which is inadequate for main front speakers. They are only suitable for rear-channel use. The same goes for the Axiom M2.

The KEF iQ30 goes down to 45 Hz, which will give you very good bass without a subwoofer. They will make very good main / front speakers. They are also priced very well right now. They were $700 per pair, but KEF Direct has them for $399 per pair which is a steal.

Another one that is excellent is the Monitor Audio Silver RX-2, but they are $850 per pair.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

That's what I'm going with! Thanks for the tips!
post #4 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 03:24 PM

Actually the Paradigm Mini Monitor has a -3db point of 45hz and is every bit the equal to the KEF's. Paradigm lists there specs a bit differently.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The new Arx A1b soon to be released in the next two weeks is going to be one of the best bang for the buck bookshelfs IMO.
http://www.theaudioinsider.com/forum/showthread.php?1636-Announcing-the-New-Arx-A1b-arriving-the-first-week-in-August-2012!

Frequency Response: 52Hz-22kHz +/- 3dB
Nominal Impedance: 8 Ohms
Minimum impedance: 8 ohms

Planar tweeters and cast alloy XBL2 splitgap woofers, I replace the Axiom M22s and Axiom M2s with the Arx A1 and they were much better than the Axiom M2s and these newer revised A1b's are suppose to be even better, larger cabinet volume, better dynamics, deeper tuned, better sensitivity. Really nice cabinets and fit and finish is very good too, only draw back is the plain basic veneer black ash, but its no better or worse than other ID companys entry level finishes.
post #6 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreaux View Post

That's what I'm going with! Thanks for the tips!

One thing that Commsysman doesn't tell you is he does the exact same copy paste response to every post. No matter what your asking about he will post the same responses over and over. He is anti Internet Direct unless its from the Audio Advisor which sells the brands he pushes in every thread.

Research his posts and go through all the BS he posts, he has no experience with any ID products but yet says that the stuff he recommends is better than anything else out there. rolleyes.gif
Billy p likes this.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 05:54 PM

Liked: 148
If you are still looking at the Axioms, go with the M3s over the M2s. They are not much more in price but are far better speakers.
post #8 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

So Axiom M3 or Kef iq30? anybody compared the two?
post #9 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I like Kef, but if this is strictly for music with no subwoofer, have you considered floor standing speakers? You will get better bass repsonse. Otherwise, it is hard to go wrong with Kef in this price range.
post #10 of 24 Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrsage View Post

If you are still looking at the Axioms, go with the M3s over the M2s. They are not much more in price but are far better speakers.

That is in your subjective opinion...of course....wink.gif

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

Ascend Acoustics (NrT)Towers, STC w RAAL, 200 SE in espresso
54" of Panasonic Bliss, Anthem MRX 300
Sony BDP-S380, TechnicsCD player, Apple TV
PSA XS30 SE in Cordovan Cherry
post #11 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy p View Post

That is in your subjective opinion...of course....wink.gif

Of course, all "sounds better" is subjective. I have listened to both playing the same thing at the same time, though. I was surprised it was noticably better, which sorta sucks since I have a set of both. smile.gif

As for the OP, I have never listened to KEF.
post #12 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

My post specifically pointed out the characteristics of the three speakers the OP mentioned, so how can that be a "the same response over and over"? That is ridiculous, and it is rather obvious to anyone with half a brain that it could not be more untrue.

My post was a direct and specific response to the OP regarding his question, unlike your vindictive and unprovoked attack, which is completely irrelevant to this thread as well as completely untrue.

Let's see; I mentioned KEF Direct, but I am supposedly against internet direct; so that's totally wrong.

KEF is not even sold by the company you mention (which I have not mentioned once for over 6 months), if you would do your homework. Again, no truth whatsoever.

Is there ONE single true thing in your post???

If there is, I sure can't find it. I am sure no one else can either.

It would possibly improve your credibility if you could just find ONE true thing to say SOMEWHERE in a post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpsuper24 View Post

One thing that Commsysman doesn't tell you is he does the exact same copy paste response to every post. No matter what your asking about he will post the same responses over and over. He is anti Internet Direct unless its from the Audio Advisor which sells the brands he pushes in every thread.
Research his posts and go through all the BS he posts, he has no experience with any ID products but yet says that the stuff he recommends is better than anything else out there. rolleyes.gif
post #13 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote from the Paradigm website specifications page for the Paradigm Mini-Monitor:

On-axis frequency response:

+/- 2db from 75 Hz to 22 Khz

They DO NOT give a -3db point ( but it would almost certainly have to be above 70 Hz).

The idea that they have any meaningful output down to 45 Hz is absolutely incorrect and makes no sense, based on the ACTUAL specifications from Paradigm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

Actually the Paradigm Mini Monitor has a -3db point of 45hz and is every bit the equal to the KEF's. Paradigm lists there specs a bit differently.
post #14 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Well the question has been asked over at the Axiom forum and the consensus is usually split. Like I had mentioned prior the M3's have a significant bump in the upper mid bass freq ~125hz that likely exaggerates the sound....as seen here> http://www.axiomaudio.com/gallery_disp.html?image=M3_freq.gif&title=M3.... others might prefer a more level or linear response is all I am saying. I don't think the M3 is a way better speaker BUT....like most Axiom folk the more expensive the speaker the better it is...even if it's a minimal amount.
Quote:

Of course, all "sounds better" is subjective. I have listened to both playing the same thing at the same time, though. I was surprised it was noticably better, which sorta sucks since I have a set of both. smile.gif
As for the OP, I have never listened to KEF.

Old Indian proverb: We don't inherit the earth from our ancestors, but we borrow it from our children!

post #15 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM

Have you ever heard them played at the same time, playing the same thing? I have and do....every day. The small price difference is irrelevant to me, I own a set of both speakers already, bought from the Axiom auction so I bought what they had available at the time. So unless you have actually listened to both, you really should not say which one sounds better than the other since you do not know.

135.jpg

Back wall is M2, rear-most side speaker is M2, front-most side speaker is M3. The M3 really is a far better speaker than the M2.
post #16 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Are those On Wall verison of the M2? I liked the M2s as surround speakers worked out really nice. Although all my Axioms have been sold.

I audition the M2s and M3s and felt nether bested the other, the M2s seemed more detail and accurate but the M3 had a more fuller sound to it and seemed more effortless.

I think as main L/R the M3 would be better choice as surrounds the M2 would work better IMO, although I think at the prices there is better choices out there, like HSU HB1 MK 2, Arx A1/A1b, Aperion Intimus 5B.

But if your set on Axiom get the best of both and go with the M22s.
post #17 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Quote from the Paradigm website specifications page for the Paradigm Mini-Monitor:
They DO NOT give a -3db point ( but it would almost certainly have to be above 70 Hz).
The idea that they have any meaningful output down to 45 Hz is absolutely incorrect and makes no sense, based on the ACTUAL specifications from Paradigm.

Actually the low freq extension on the Paradigm Mini Monitors is 45 Hz at -3db typical room.

"Low-Frequency Extension* 42 Hz (DIN)
Frequency Response:
On-Axis
30° Off-Axis
±2 dB from 75 Hz - 22 kHz
±2 dB from 75 Hz - 18 kHz
Sensitivity - Room / Anechoic 90 dB / 87 dB
Suitable Amplifier Power Range 15 - 100 watts
Maximum Input Power† 80 watts
Impedance Compatible with 8 ohms
Height, Width, Depth 34.3 cm x 19.4 cm x 26.5 cm
13-1/2 in x 7-5/8 in x 10-1/2 in
Weight (unpacked) 7.7 kg / 17 lb each
Finishes Black Ash, Heritage Cherry
Paradigm Stands (sold sep.) S-26, J-29

* DIN 45 500. Indicates -3 dB in a typical listening room."
post #18 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Out of the choices you listed, I like the IQ30.

But I would suggest you also listen to the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170SE.

-curtis

Owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Volunteer Mod at the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Like all things on the Internet, do your research, as forums have a good amount of misinformation.

post #19 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you ever heard them played at the same time, playing the same thing? I have and do....every day. The small price difference is irrelevant to me, I own a set of both speakers already, bought from the Axiom auction so I bought what they had available at the time. So unless you have actually listened to both, you really should not say which one sounds better than the other since you do not know.
135.jpg
Back wall is M2, rear-most side speaker is M2, front-most side speaker is M3. The M3 really is a far better speaker than the M2.

NO!....but I did own the M22 and the M2 and I listended to them side by side and they souned more similar than not with some small exceptions. Most will tell you the 22's are usually preferred over the 3's or 2's. The point here is the OP was asking about the M2's ....for the additional cost of the M3 other speakers would now come into play.....wink.gif

BTW...here is a pro reviewer who has auditioned both that can be found on the Axiom website. It going back a few years.....http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/axiom_m2i.htm

post #20 of 24 Old 07-17-2012, 03:32 PM

I always wondered about pro reviewers...where do they go to get the gold inserted into their ears and why doesn't it actually mess with their hearing ability...but that is meat for another thread. smile.gif

And enough of me dragging the OP's thread off topic.
post #21 of 24 Old 07-18-2012, 07:48 AM

I listened to both the Axiom M3 and the M22 (similar in tonal characteristics to the M2) when trying out speakers for my home theater. The M3 is a slightly fuller sounding speaker and I thought it sounded better without the subwoofer (the M22 blended better with the subwoofer though, so kept it). If you're just doing stereo listening the M3s are very nice.
post #22 of 24 Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^I had read your thread over at Axiom but I asked similar questions when I was considering the M3,M2 and M22 for my set up. Even with my current full range towers that I now own ....I still prefer them with a sub for music.

post #23 of 24 Old 09-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

Look closely and pay attention to the specs which you obviously did not. Because you did not read this.

Low-Frequency Extension* 42 Hz (DIN)
Frequency Response:
On-Axis
30° Off-Axis
±2 dB from 75 Hz - 22 kHz
±2 dB from 75 Hz - 18 kHz

* DIN 45 500. Indicates -3 dB in a typical listening room.

Which is on the same page. But I guessed you missed that.rolleyes.gif
post #24 of 24 Old 09-21-2012, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
I have Kef iQ3 (predecessors to the iQ30) as my mains (actually, for all three of my front 3 with iQ1 as the rears).

They are excellent speakers and i highly recommend them, but I would still use a sub with them (I would use a sub with just about anything since the optimal location for frequencies lower than 80Hz is very rarely where the mains are).

I have never heard your other choices in my space, so I can't compare (I have heard them in other locations, and i chose Kef and am absolutely happy with the choice).

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page