Advice on 5.1 with receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 07-16-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum. I just started looking into a home theater system in the past week, and this forum came up on all of my searches, and it seems like you all really know what you are talking about. I don't know too much about home theater systems, so I am asking for some advice. I want a 5.1 speaker system for my living room. The center and front speakers should be rather small to fit in the entertainment center (not behind any glass, just fitting on the shelves). This will mostly be used for blu-rays and PS3, but also standard TV viewing. The room is actually open into the kitchen, so I know the acoustics won't be the best. I have about $750 to spend though I would like to spend less, and here are a few options I have come up with, prices are all at Crutchfield (are there some other reliable places with better prices to order from?).

Options for Receiver:

Denon AVR-1612 $219
Denon AVR-1513 $249
Onkyo TX-NR414 $499 $299

Speakers: I have landed on an Energy 5.1 system so far.

Energy Take Classic 5.1 $399
Energy RC-Micro 5.1 $399
Energy Take Classic 5.0 with Mirage OMNI S8 subwoofer $449 (is that sub worth the extra $50?)

For the $650 to $750 price range, are there any recommendations here? I don't see a huge difference between most of these, but then again, I don't know a lot about it. When I do the comparison for instance, it seems like the Denon 1612 is better than the 1513 but cheaper, thats why I am including both, hoping someone can explain that to me.

Sorry if these are newbie questions, if there is some protocol I didn't follow, I apologize in advance.

Thanks,

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 07-16-2012, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 781
The Denon 1612 is last year's model, so it is discounted. It has Audyssey MultiEQ which will help to automagically EQ your speakers and sub using the accompanying microphone. The 1513 does not.

Yes. The Mirage Omni S8 is a better sub than what comes with the other packages. If you are planning on using the sub in a medium sized to large room, it would be even better to get the 10" Energy S10.3 instead. An 8" sub is best suited for small rooms or bedrooms. The Energy S10.3 is equivalent to the Mirage Omni S10 (same parent company reusing the same subwoofer design).
Hertzy3 likes this.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #3 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 12:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 417
For an extra $20 the Energy s10.3 will be better than the Omni s8.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882269026

And the above advice is correct, get the Denon 1612 over the 1513 because of the addition of Audyssey MultEQ.
Hertzy3 likes this.

Afro GT
post #4 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the information and recommendations. I think I am going to order the Denon AVR-1612, the Energy Take Classic 5.0, and the Energy S10.3 for a total of $690. Sound like a solid $700 system?

I was curious about that Onkyo receiver though. Seems like a nice discount. Is the Denon still the better option?
post #5 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 258
The Jamo S426HCS3 system is a much much better set of speakers for only $200; a remarkable bargain. Add the Polk PSW505 subwoofer, for around $230, and you will have a decent sound system, which the Energy Take is NOT!

The front speakers of the Energy Take Classic are far too small for good system sound, and the S10.3 is too small and has only 200 watts of RMS power, which is inadequate. If you buy that stuff, you will be dumping it in a few months and the money will be totally wasted.

You can't beat the 1612; amazingly good for its price.

The Klipsch RW12D is $400, and that is a really good subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hertzy3 View Post

Thanks for the information and recommendations. I think I am going to order the Denon AVR-1612, the Energy Take Classic 5.0, and the Energy S10.3 for a total of $690. Sound like a solid $700 system?
I was curious about that Onkyo receiver though. Seems like a nice discount. Is the Denon still the better option?
post #6 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

That is surprising to hear. Everyone seems to speak so highly of the Energy set. Also I don't have room for both floor standing speakers and the sub, so I do need a small set similar in size to the energy set.
post #7 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 459 Post(s)
Liked: 542
Quote:

That is surprising to hear. Everyone seems to speak so highly of the Energy set. Also I don't have room for both floor standing speakers and the sub, so I do need a small set similar in size to the energy set.

The Energy S10.3 sub is a good subwoofer, and was measured in a large room -
and it can go down low.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article/energy-take-series-home-theater-speaker-system?page=0,2

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

The Energy system is good for your needs. If you're looking for a small system that fits into that budget, that is a very good package. I agree with both cel, zieglj01 and afrogt that the S10.3 sub is very good for its price at newegg.

I have the S10.3 and the Omni S8 in a dual sub setup in my apartment, and they perform very well in a 17 x 12 room (open to the 8 X 10 kitchen). I have no complaints. If and when you do decide to upgrade (which could be a while, since the takes are good), nothing prevents the takes from being used as satellites.

Good luck, I think that's a good system for you.
Hertzy3 likes this.
post #9 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is surprising to hear. Everyone seems to speak so highly of the Energy set.

Not surprising at all. C-man often offers opinions that differ from the majority of AVS members, and his views on subwoofer use are contrary to best practices (e.g., see the replies that follow in this thread).

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #10 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

What size is your room? How far back are you sitting from the speakers?
post #11 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That is surprising to hear. Everyone seems to speak so highly of the Energy set.

Not surprising at all. C-man often offers opinions that differ from the majority of AVS members, and his views on subwoofer use are contrary to best practices (e.g., see the replies that follow in this thread). You are better off listening to zieglj01 and afrogt.

post #12 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

I'll measure tonight when I get home from work. I think it's a similar size to hernanu's room and setup. My guess is 12x17 with an opening to my kitchen like he said. And I think I'll be about 10 feet from the front speakers and sub but I'll get that exact measurement as well. Also, we sit off center in the room because the chaise is on the side of the couch. Can it be calibrated so there are no dead spots in all seating areas?
post #13 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

The tiny speakers in the front speakers of the Energy Take Classic set are about the same size as the one in a clock radio at Motel 6. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can figure out that they are not adequate to produce any bass whatsoever, and MY philosophy is that you need some bass from those front speakers (down to at least 60 Hz) in order to have decent system sound.

If you are inclined to believe the people who think that those are adequate, then you should read the dozens of posts people have posted here saying "I have the Energy Take Classic and now that I realize how inadequate they are I need some advice on getting a better system". I have seen a dozen or more posts just like that! If you buy them ,you will likely be making a similar post in a few months. Money wasted.

You can get the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system for $371 at Amazon, and that is a significant improvement while still staying fairly small.

When cel4145 says "the majority of AVS members", you can translate that to mean "me and my two little buddies". He has no idea what the "majority" might think, so he should just give his opinion without trying to back it up with a bunch of pettifrogging nonsense.

Quote:

post #14 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The tiny speakers in the front speakers of the Energy set are about the same size as the one in a clock radio at Motel 6. Anyone with an ounce of common sense can figure out that they are not adequate to produce any bass whatsoever, and MY philosophy is that you need some bass from those front speakers (down to at least 60 Hz).
If you want to listen to the people who think that those are adequate, then you should read the dozens of posts people have posted here saying "I have the Energy Take Classic and now that I realize how inadequate they are I need some advice on getting a better system". I have seen a dozen or more of them! If you buy them ,you will likely be making a similar post in a few months. Money wasted.
You can get the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system for $371 at Amazon, and that is a significant improvement while still staying fairly small.

You don't need speakers that can go to 60hz if you have a dedicated subwoofer. THX standard is to start at 80hz. You are not helping anyone with this advice. Many reputable manufacturers design their bookshelves to rolloff at 80hz to crossover with a dedicated subwoofer.
post #15 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

If you actually READ the THX standard, you will find that it is intended and specified ONLY FOR LARGE COMMERCIAL THEATRE VENUES.

Any attempt to pretend it is relevant to the HOME theater is highly questionable. The acoustics and the power relationships are 100% different.

MY experience (and the experience of many many others who have expressed opinions here), is that a home system sounds much better if the center speakers go as low as possible and the the SUBwoofer does what it is intended to do; operate below 50 Hz only.

IMO it is just plain stupid to have MONAURAL sound all the way up to 80 Hz. If you like monaural sound so much, why have five speakers?

Almost all speakers that are designed by reputable manufacturers roll off at 80 Hz IF they are intended to be used as rear or surround speakers. They do NOT intend them for use as FRONT speakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

You don't need speakers that can go to 60hz if you have a dedicated subwoofer. THX standard is to start at 80hz. You are not helping anyone with this advice. Many reputable manufacturers design their bookshelves to rolloff at 80hz to crossover with a dedicated subwoofer.
post #16 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is a good system, but the sub is not as capable as the S10.3. As ack_bk mentions, trying to dig down to 60Hz is overkill when you are limited in space and budget. I have the Energy RC-50's and RC-LCR, which can dig down, but have them crossed over at THX values (80Hz), since I think the speaker that's designed for bass (the sub) should be the one handling the bass.

Given the OP's constraints, the takes and the S10.3 are a good combination. If the dimensions were increased a bit and so the budget, we could go with Energy RC-10's ($219), the Energy RC-LCR ($249) and the Energy V-mini's (2x $119= $234) + the S10.3 ($219) for a total of $921 for speakers and the 1612 takes it to $1140. So we've effectively exploded his budget.

Given his budget and the dimensions he wants, the takes and S10.3 are very good solutions.
post #17 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you actually READ the THX standard, you will find that it is intended and specified ONLY FOR LARGE COMMERCIAL THEATRE VENUES.
Any attempt to pretend it is relevant to the HOME theater is highly questionable. The acoustics and the power relationships are 100% different.
MY experience (and the experience of many many others who have expressed opinions here), is that a home system sounds much better if the center speakers go as low as possible and the the SUBwoofer does what it is intended to do; operate below 50 Hz only.
IMO it is just plain stupid to have MONAURAL sound all the way up to 80 Hz. If you like monaural sound so much, why have five speakers?
Almost all speakers that are designed by reputable manufacturers roll off at 80 Hz IF they are intended to be used as rear or surround speakers. They do NOT intend them for use as FRONT speakers.

THX has many standards and certifications. Some of which are for home theater. Please point to me the THX standard where they state for home theater you should not crossover your subwoofer above 50hz. Please explain why many experts, including Dr. Hsu who has a PHD from MIT recommend 80hz:
Quote:
What crossover frequency should I use? I have large main speakers

We generally recommend using 80 Hz crossover even if you have large main speakers. Due to the limited amplifier power of most receivers, using the main speakers to handle some of the bass will reduce the amplifier power available for the mids and highs. Crossing over at 80 Hz gives you the highest possible headroom for your system.

We do not recommend crossing over higher because the subwoofer will be localizable with a higher crossover.

I have spent considerable time setting up, EQ'ing, and measuring my room and have settled on 80hz. I used 60hz for awhile and determined my dual subs sounded better crossed over at 80hz. Just like Dr. Hsu and THX recommended (imagine that). Everyone is different.

But you are notorious for making unfounded statements and not baking them up with facts and evidence.

So prove to me that sound is degraded by crossing over above 50hz with a dedicated subwoofer. And you may want to reachout to numerors experts and speaker designers and tell them they are doing it wrong.... Again, there are many respectable speaker companies that have designed their bookshelf speakers to roll-off in the 60-80hz range. They are designed with a dedicated subwoofer in mind.
post #18 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Highly suggest you read this as well (I have posted this numerous times):

http://www.audyssey.com/blog/2009/05/small-vs-large/
Quote:
A better and more practical approach came after studying human perception. The mechanisms that we use to determine the direction of arrival of sound depend on the frequency. At high frequencies the wavelength of sound is small and so sound coming from the side is shadowed by our head. That creates a level difference between the sound reaching the ear closest to the source and the ear on the other side. Our brain analyzes these level differences and produces an estimate of where the sound is coming from. But at lower frequencies, the wavelength of sound gets longer and our head is not large enough to produce a level difference at the two ears. Instead, we analyze the difference in time of arrival of sound at the two ears. Sound arrives first at the closest ear and we use that to determine the direction. But even that ability fails us below about 80 Hz. The wavelengths get very large and it was found in listening tests that 80 Hz is the frequency below which most people can not localize the direction of sound.

Taking advantage of this apparent “deficiency” in our hearing was what made home theater practical for millions of homes. Five satellite speakers of reasonable size could now be used because they no longer required large woofers. A subwoofer (or two) can reproduce the lower octaves and it can be placed out of sight since its content is not directional.
post #19 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

When cel4145 says "the majority of AVS members", you can translate that to mean "me and my two little buddies". He has no idea what the "majority" might think, so he should just give his opinion without trying to back it up with a bunch of pettifrogging nonsense.

A wide variety of people have reported that the Energy Take Classics are very good smaller satellite sized speakers. I would imagine it would be easy to get a consensus here on AVS that these are a good value for what they are.

While certainly the OP could benefit from getting speakers with a wider frequency response and bigger drivers if he can afford them and has room for the larger size, I have yet to see many (any?) people who own the Jamo S426HCS3 talk about how good they are. I doubt that they are the "remarkable bargain" you claim them to be.

So I will stand by my statement that you frequently offer "opinions that differ from the majority of AVS members." The argument that has ensued here is just another good example.

post #20 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll measure tonight when I get home from work. I think it's a similar size to hernanu's room and setup. My guess is 12x17 with an opening to my kitchen like he said. And I think I'll be about 10 feet from the front speakers and sub but I'll get that exact measurement as well. Also, we sit off center in the room because the chaise is on the side of the couch. Can it be calibrated so there are no dead spots in all seating areas?

You would definitely benefit from the 10" S10.3 over the Omni S8 with that kind of space if you would like to turn it up for HT or music use. The S8 would likely run out of steam at higher volumes.

It can be difficult to calibrate a single sub to work well for all seating areas. People usually end up going with dual subs to get a better response across a wide range of the room. But individual expectations are different and each room is different, and depending on where you put the sub in your room (room acoustics are different depending on location), it may perform to your satisfaction across multiple seating positions.

When you run Audyssey, you can take readings from multiple listening areas to sort of get the best averaged setup for your speakers.

post #21 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

How important is the type of speaker wire you use? Crutchfield wants to sell me $90 worth of 16 gauge in-wall speaker wire (100 ft), but monoprice has their own brand of in-wall wire for $32 (12AWG). Should I just save $60 there?
post #22 of 25 Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

How important is the type of speaker wire you use? Crutchfield wants to sell me $90 worth of 16 gauge in-wall speaker wire (100 ft), but monoprice has their own brand of in-wall wire for $32 (12AWG). Should I just save $60 there?

100% go with the Monoprice. You most likely just need 16 gauge or 14 guatemala depending n the length of your runs.
post #23 of 25 Old 07-18-2012, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

How about #12 Costa Rica?

Monoprice $2748 is only $12.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

100% go with the Monoprice. You most likely just need 16 gauge or 14 guatemala depending n the length of your runs.
post #24 of 25 Old 07-18-2012, 07:40 AM

Liked: 13
I Have the Energy Take Classic set with the subwoofer in a 14' x 20' space and i'm quite satisfied with the sound it produces, specially music and movies. Could i get a better set of speakers like the RC 10s or RC 70s coupled with the RC-LCR speaker?, shure, and it would probably sound better. Do i actually, really, really need it?, not for now.

I'm sitting at about 9-10 feet from the speakers and i got no complaints whatsoever. For your budget, which is like mine i would definetly recommened it. I have the Denon 1912, and together the whole system sounds great.

Maybe in the future, when budget permits, i'll upgrade to the RC 10s and RC-LCR speakers, but for now i'll stay put, and happy.
Hertzy3 likes this.
post #25 of 25 Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szeppelin75 View Post

I Have the Energy Take Classic set with the subwoofer in a 14' x 20' space and i'm quite satisfied with the sound it produces, specially music and movies. Could i get a better set of speakers like the RC 10s or RC 70s coupled with the RC-LCR speaker?, shure, and it would probably sound better. Do i actually, really, really need it?, not for now.
I'm sitting at about 9-10 feet from the speakers and i got no complaints whatsoever. For your budget, which is like mine i would definetly recommened it. I have the Denon 1912, and together the whole system sounds great.
Maybe in the future, when budget permits, i'll upgrade to the RC 10s and RC-LCR speakers, but for now i'll stay put, and happy.

++++1
Reply Speakers

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page