best 5.1 setup with AVR for <$500 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 98 Old 08-11-2012, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Currently playing pandora on my ps3. One thing I'm trying to figure out, that if I play any stereo content, even if I make it multi channel stereo, the sub isn't receiving any signals and maintains to be off the entire time. How do I set that I want to duplicate the 2.0 stereo into 5.1 surround instead of 5.0?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 08-11-2012, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 778
What make and model receiver do you have? Sounds like you might need to configure crossover settings for your receiver.

Your questions are answered:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
post #93 of 98 Old 08-11-2012, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Do subs need to be broken in? Also, what you guys think about returning the sub? I honestly doubt that the sub's $200 pricetag justifies its mediocre contribution to the setup vs the Pioneer 5.0's $175. I also don't know why when I play via the iPhone, the bass is so damn heavy compared to PS3 or TV. So much that it gives me a headache. Is there a setting to lower the bass on just the iPhone connector?
post #94 of 98 Old 08-11-2012, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

This is my setup:

Somehow Audyssey classify my front FS51's and C21 as "small" speakers, but still have crossover settings of 40hz for them. How will changing them to "full size" speakers in the settings change the sound settings? Also, is it preferred to have the front speakers in a wide arrangement or narrow? It seems that my front speakers are set wider apart than my rear speakers due to the space constraint of the rear ones. Any critique on my setup is appreciated.
post #95 of 98 Old 08-11-2012, 11:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice looking setup smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarium View Post

Do subs need to be broken in? Also, what you guys think about returning the sub? I honestly doubt that the sub's $200 pricetag justifies its mediocre contribution to the setup vs the Pioneer 5.0's $175. I also don't know why when I play via the iPhone, the bass is so damn heavy compared to PS3 or TV. So much that it gives me a headache. Is there a setting to lower the bass on just the iPhone connector?

Yes. Sometimes subs benefit from being broken in, but your problems will likely be resolved by learning how to better setup and configure your system. The S10.3 is a good sub, and plenty of people have reported getting it to work wonderfully with their setup in the owners thread for these Pioneers--as well as with other (and more expensive) 5.0 speaker sets of other brands. Take a look at batpig's Denon and Audyssey guides as they can help. Configuring subwoofers and Audyssey, as well as getting to know Denon receivers, can be tricky at first.

Are you using Audyssey with stereo mode? Since Audyssey EQs the sub, then if it's turned off, it might not sound as good.

Also, what source material are you playing on your iPhone? Crappy mp3s or other poor quality content could contribute to your problem.
Quote:

Somehow Audyssey classify my front FS51's and C21 as "small" speakers, but still have crossover settings of 40hz for them. How will changing them to "full size" speakers in the settings change the sound settings? Also, is it preferred to have the front speakers in a wide arrangement or narrow? It seems that my front speakers are set wider apart than my rear speakers due to the space constraint of the rear ones. Any critique on my setup is appreciated.

Setting your speakers to "full size" will disable the ability to set a crossover and send all the bass to the front speakers which can not produce the lower frequencies that the sub can. Try leaving them on small and using 60 or 80hz.

Also, make certain that when you ran Audyssey that you set the gain (volume) on the sub such that Audyssey determines a channel level close to 0db. This best optimizes the sensitivity of the sub amp for the input from the receiver. If Audyssey determined a channel level much lower than that, turn the gain on the sub down and rerun Audyssey.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | modified Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
post #96 of 98 Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Nice looking setup smile.gif
Yes. Sometimes subs benefit from being broken in, but your problems will likely be resolved by learning how to better setup and configure your system. The S10.3 is a good sub, and plenty of people have reported getting it to work wonderfully with their setup in the owners thread for these Pioneers--as well as with other (and more expensive) 5.0 speaker sets of other brands. Take a look at batpig's Denon and Audyssey guides as they can help. Configuring subwoofers and Audyssey, as well as getting to know Denon receivers, can be tricky at first.
Are you using Audyssey with stereo mode? Since Audyssey EQs the sub, then if it's turned off, it might not sound as good.
Also, what source material are you playing on your iPhone? Crappy mp3s or other poor quality content could contribute to your problem.
Setting your speakers to "full size" will disable the ability to set a crossover and send all the bass to the front speakers which can not produce the lower frequencies that the sub can. Try leaving them on small and using 60 or 80hz.
Also, make certain that when you ran Audyssey that you set the gain (volume) on the sub such that Audyssey determines a channel level close to 0db. This best optimizes the sensitivity of the sub amp for the input from the receiver. If Audyssey determined a channel level much lower than that, turn the gain on the sub down and rerun Audyssey.

After reading batpig's Denon setup advice, in particular the Audyssey setup guide I realized that I had been doing it wrong the entire time. I eventually positioned the mic in all 6 positions instead of one, adjusted the sub's volume to get as close to the 0db volume adjustment on the Audyssey read as possible, set the front and center to small as intended, moved my couch more forward as shown on the picture, tilted the front and rear speakers towards the middle listening position, moved the center more out of the center console as suggested, which all made a significant impact on the sound quality and the blending, balance, and for the lack of another word the "matching" of the entire system overall.

So far I've also tested out dynamic volume setting and found it to be EXTREMELY helpful in my situation with the complaining neighbors especially with the "midnight" setting. But even with the daytime setting it brings out the vocals and the minute details more than you would have heard with the setting off. Playing 5.1 source from the cable TV was impeccable, as indicated by watching the Olympics closing ceremony yesterday. 5.1 source from Netflix was very good too, from what I've seen by watching Lost and Breaking Bad episodes. I have yet to test out the iPhone connection, which was the source of the problem to began with, but am convinced that it'll improve if not resolve.

BTW, I was playing mp3 audio files that had 320bitrate when I noticed the boominess of the bass coming from the sub. I doubt it's the files themselves because when played on the PC or using my Klipsch iFi speakers they were flawless. Perhaps it's the connection from iPhone to the Denon receiver, that it automatically set itself on a bass heavy EQ setting or something to accentuate the bass? I'm not sure but will test it out when I'm postcall from work biggrin.gif in the end though, I doubt that I'll be returning the sub, but will test different placements of it to improve sound quality. One thing I did note upon installing it, the sub's exterior paint was a perfect complement to the Pioneers as it has almost the same patterns and texture.
post #97 of 98 Old 08-13-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:

BTW, I was playing mp3 audio files that had 320bitrate when I noticed the boominess of the bass coming from the sub. I doubt it's the files themselves because when played on the PC or using my Klipsch iFi speakers they were flawless.

Check your main LPF or crossover and raise it to 120Hz. Check your LFE channel and make sure it's set to 120Hz. This helps considerably with boominess and bloating. If the mains are fighting with the subs, the sound waves cancel each other and create sound wave wars. It's something one can easily look into in their receiver's GUI menu; audio and speaker section.
post #98 of 98 Old 08-13-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

After reading batpig's Denon setup advice, in particular the Audyssey setup guide I realized that I had been doing it wrong the entire time. I eventually positioned the mic in all 6 positions instead of one, adjusted the sub's volume to get as close to the 0db volume adjustment on the Audyssey read as possible, set the front and center to small as intended, moved my couch more forward as shown on the picture, tilted the front and rear speakers towards the middle listening position, moved the center more out of the center console as suggested, which all made a significant impact on the sound quality and the blending, balance, and for the lack of another word the "matching" of the entire system overall.
So far I've also tested out dynamic volume setting and found it to be EXTREMELY helpful in my situation with the complaining neighbors especially with the "midnight" setting. But even with the daytime setting it brings out the vocals and the minute details more than you would have heard with the setting off. Playing 5.1 source from the cable TV was impeccable, as indicated by watching the Olympics closing ceremony yesterday. 5.1 source from Netflix was very good too, from what I've seen by watching Lost and Breaking Bad episodes. I have yet to test out the iPhone connection, which was the source of the problem to began with, but am convinced that it'll improve if not resolve.
BTW, I was playing mp3 audio files that had 320bitrate when I noticed the boominess of the bass coming from the sub. I doubt it's the files themselves because when played on the PC or using my Klipsch iFi speakers they were flawless. Perhaps it's the connection from iPhone to the Denon receiver, that it automatically set itself on a bass heavy EQ setting or something to accentuate the bass? I'm not sure but will test it out when I'm postcall from work biggrin.gif in the end though, I doubt that I'll be returning the sub, but will test different placements of it to improve sound quality. One thing I did note upon installing it, the sub's exterior paint was a perfect complement to the Pioneers as it has almost the same patterns and texture.

That's good to hear that things are improving. smile.gif

For improving music listening with your iPhone, you might try turning off Dynamic Volume and Dynamic EQ if they are running. They are designed to artificially inflate various frequencies.

Also, have you tried loading your mp3 files onto the PS3 and playing them there (you can do so with a USB flash drive)? See how they compare.

Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page