What type of Banana Plugs do i need? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I switch things up often. And working with bare speaker wire although not that troublesome, is annoying.

Banana Plugs are so cheap at monoprice, so i plan on throwing them on my 5.1 setup asap.

Which type should i be getting? Closed Screw, Open Screw, Pin... etc???

http://www.monoprice.com/products/search.asp?spcDB=10401&spcWord=Banana+Plugs&keyword=banana

speaker connectors are the screw on (wrap the wire around the post) type. not the spring type and the same for the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I have the closed screw kind from MP. I haven't used the open so I cannot comment on those, or tell you (IMO) which is better either. The closed ones work really good if you remove the color coded plastic ring, which allows the screw part to go deeper into the socket, creating a tighter fit on the speaker wire ends. I found that with the plastic rings intact, that the screw wouldn't bottom out on the wire, and would be really loose, crappy connection.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #3 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

I have the closed screw kind from MP. I haven't used the open so I cannot comment on those, or tell you (IMO) which is better either. The closed ones work really good if you remove the color coded plastic ring, which allows the screw part to go deeper into the socket, creating a tighter fit on the speaker wire ends. I found that with the plastic rings intact, that the screw wouldn't bottom out on the wire, and would be really loose, crappy connection.

cool, thanks. now what if i unplug the wires from my speakers and forget which end is the signal and which is ground. Does that matter much? I know sound will still come out if you mix them up...
post #4 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisssss View Post

what if i unplug the wires from my speakers and forget which end is the signal and which is ground.
That's where color coding comes into play.
Quote:
Does that matter much?
Very much.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post

That's where color coding comes into play. Very much.

at this point, what do i do, i think i only messed up one (and thats a toss up, i just don't know which wire is which) since theres no color coding on the speaker wires Its a 50/50 if i got it right or not. And thats one of my surrounds. And the entire run of speaker wire is already neatly tucked away in cord hider.

I
post #6 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
get a piece of wire, and connect it to one end, and ensure it reaches the other end of the wire, and use a meter for continuity. You could even use and extension cord. Are you sure one of the wires doesn't have a stripe or even little minus signs '-' on it ?? I use MP speaker cable and one wire is always distinguishable from the other. Also, you can mark one of the terminals with a permanent marker or something if you remove the plastic rings.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #7 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 1212
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisssss View Post

theres no color coding on the speaker wires
Most wires have a design embossed in the jacket over one conductor so you can tell which is which, even lamp zipcord.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-20-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I've used the closed one many times. You don't need to remove the plastic rings to get a good fit. I wouldn't even consider it as you have found out that it's good to have your conectors color coded. The closed one can be difficult to work with, particularly with thick wire. You need to bend it 180 degress around the rim and spread it out. Not as easy as it sounds. Plus if the wire gets onto the threads, it can be very difficult to tighten.

I have some Acoustic Research connectors I bough off amazon that use a screw to hold the wire and they're much easier to work with. They cost more, but you get what you pay for.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page