TV only has digital output... how to conect to external speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys,

First time poster... really need some help.

So i just bought a Samsung LCD 32" TV (LN32D403e4d i think), which only has an optical output. All other ports are inputs. The internal speakers stink, so I wanted to connect them to some external 5.1 speakers. I think these would work:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VAK1FA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I am a college kid, so i want to do this as cheaply as possible. I don't want to have to buy an A/V receiver or home theater system because that is out of my price range. Also, i'd like for the speakers to work for my computer and iPhone too.

My theory is to get the TV to convert its digital to analog using this converter:
http://www.amazon.com/D3-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B005K2TXMO/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342797185&sr=1-5&keywords=digital+to+analog+audio+converter

Then, using an RCA male to 3.5 mm female converter (see link), I could plug the 3.5 mm male cord from the speakers into it:
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B0002GUBIS/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1342797805&sr=1-7&keywords=3.5+mm+audio+to+rca+female

This way, when I want to listen to my phone or computer, I can just unplug the 3.5 mm cable and plug it into said device.

Please let me know if you think this will work? It'll cost me about $100, which is far better than buying a complete home theater system. Please Please Please I need some help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
If you don't mind having to get and adjust the volume on the speakers it will work.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Are you sure they will work though? I don't mind having to get up, but does the audio need to be "decoded" or anything? someone on another forum made fun of me because i had no clue.
post #4 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Well I should have researched better. The z506 speakers require 6 channels of input and the convertor will only output 2. You'd be better off with the Logitech Z960. Sure it's more money but it'll do what you want and still less than a receiver + speakers

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M18O60
post #5 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Are you sure? Down in the reviews for the first set of speakers, somebody posted this:

"If you're hooking this bad-boy up to a TV, simply plug the RCA (red/black) cables into the back of the subwoofer, then the other end (3.5mm headphone) to the headphone jack on your TV. Easy peezy smile.gif"

I interpreted this as meaning you could simply plug the 3.5 mm into the adapters i have set up
post #6 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah you could do that and sound will come out of 4 of the 5 speakers but that's not even close to a proper configuration. If your not willing to spend the money just better stick to 2.0 or 2.1 instead of some ghetto half-ass setup.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Hi Mike Doud, maybe look at Soundbar (YAS-101BL $185).
post #8 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 10:14 AM

Liked: 13
If you don't have the money to buy an AVR, what's the point of getting 5.1? That converter you linked to looks like it has only one output, so all of your speakers would basically have the same sound, fully negating the point of 5.1.

I agree with the posters above; either a 2.0 or 2.1 (and if you want stereo sound, you'd still need an AVR), or probably the best option on a tight budget is a soundbar (there are a whole host of them which are very inexpensive).

The other option is to look on AVS forums for your model of TV; there might be settings for your internal TV speakers which make it sound much better. I had a Samsung LCD a few years ago with really crappy sound and found some equalizer settings over here which improved the sound dramatically to the point where I didn't need separate speakers.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 10:55 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Doud View Post

I am a college kid, so i want to do this as cheaply as possible.

---snip---

Please Please Please I need some help!!

The cheapest and most efficient solution to your dilemma, cordless headphones.

Vary the theme above to suit your needs whether phone, computer or television, it's all as simple as plug-n-play.

For a bit more than your stated budget, you can get something like this and now you're good for online gaming, phone and television listening.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1553
Quote:

Are you sure they will work though? I don't mind having to get up, but does the audio need to be "decoded" or anything? someone on another forum made fun of me because i had no clue.
The converter is a decoder, but only to two channel stereo. For x.1 speakers you must use a surround decoder, and that means an HT receiver.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-24-2012, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Your TV has three outputs.

The digital audio output is audio only and two channels only; it won't work unless you want only two channels. The headphone jack is analog and also two channels only.

Your only option for more than two channels is to use the HDMI output, and that is going to require a receiver.

You can get a Denon 1312 5.1 receiver for about $160, and that is a much much better solution than any other.

One really cheap two-channel solution is to get some inexpensive powered speakers, which can connect to the headphone output jack. The Behringer MS16 and similar speakers are less than $100 and will do that.

Quote:

Are you sure? Down in the reviews for the first set of speakers, somebody posted this:
"If you're hooking this bad-boy up to a TV, simply plug the RCA (red/black) cables into the back of the subwoofer, then the other end (3.5mm headphone) to the headphone jack on your TV. Easy peezy smile.gif"
I interpreted this as meaning you could simply plug the 3.5 mm into the adapters i have set up
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page