5.1 system with highest WAF and sounds great - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to upgrade my Hometheater and I have new receiver (aventaqe 1010) and will be getting a new tv (55 to 60 inch but undecided between LED or plasma (that's for another forum). i currently have a set of HSU ventriloquist which i am moving to our bedroom. room is 20x20 with 9 foot ceilings. we have new furniture in this room so i can get new speakers but the wife does not want "black boxes.' She would prefer a cherry finish or roesnut or some variation of those as opposed to anything black. also not interested in a very light color such as maple or blonde wood. budget is $2000 give or take a few hundred. I have looked at HSU. POLK, EMP and Aperion systems mainly but would be open to others suggestions as the WAF must be high but i would also obviously want the best listening i can get. This is mainly a room for movies (70%), tv (20%) and perhaps the rest split between gaming and music. thanks in advance to all who respond.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I would suggest a pair of PSB Image T6 speakers with a PSB C4 center speaker and a pair of B4 speakers for surrounds in the attractive Dark Cherry finish. That will run $1039 + $240 + $264 or $1540 total from Saturday Audio Exchange.

They are very nice-looking.

They sell B-stock units which usually have VERY minor cosmetic defects (which are hard to even see in most cases) with full new speaker factory warranty. They can advise re the specifics of the cosmetic issues on each unit.

At full list price they will cost $1900.

Stereophile has a review available of the T6 on their website which has some nice photos and good info on the speakers. They ARE excellent-sounding speakers!

The Klipsch RW12D subwoofer is $389 and will complete the system...or...there are several good subwoofers for around $500-600 that can be had.

My favorite is the NHT B12D subwoofer, which runs $650 or so, but it comes only in piano black, so maybe there is a WAF problem there. I think the piano black is absolutely beautiful, but if black is out....

Actually, the PSB Image T6 speakers have very good bass down to below 40 Hz, so maybe a subwoofer is not needed; at least at first.

Maybe it would be smarter to get the PSB speakers in place, and then negotiate the subwoofer issue later. That might be the most tactful way to handle the WAF issue...lol.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 480
The Klipsch sub is $299 here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882780078

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #4 of 4 Old 07-20-2012, 03:47 PM