Got the Denon 1913 AVR, Need New Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-23-2012, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I picked up the Denon AVR-1913 this weekend for a cool $299 at Fry's while on a family weekend getaway in Atlanta. I want to setup a 5.1 system in my family room. I'll be using zone 2 for my patio.

I'm almost embarrassed to say what my budget is seeing how much some of you audiophiles spend, but I really want to keep it under $500. It will get more TV use than music. However, I do want the music to sound great as well. I'm not an audiophile but I can understand and hear the difference when you invest the big bucks. I'm just not there yet.

The only real requirement I have (OK, my wife has) is that the speakers aren't boxy or cumbersome-looking, especially the center channel. Below is a picture of my family room so you can see what I'm working with. The center speaker will be mounted just under the fireplace mantle. The left/right speakers and the sub will go on top of the built-in bookshelves. If you have any suggestions on my tentative placements, I'm all ears.

The room itself is double story and opens into the kitchen directly behind where this photo was taken from and into a large open foyer to the left. I have a lot of real estate for the rear satellites so I'm not to worried about those.

I saw the MartinLogan MLT-2 deal on NewEgg for $299. Seems like a great system for the price considering my needs but I'm having a hard time finding some good photos of it. The speakers look too boxy and not as sleek as I would want. Again, I have to make sure it looks "nice" so the wifey won't yell at me or worse.

With respect to the outdoor patio speakers, I've narrowed it down to these two:

HTD Q50: http://www.htd.com/Products/Outdoor-Speakers/Q50-outdoor-speakers
OSD's Audio AP640: http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/aphidepaspp.html

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. I will appreciate them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 384
This is what the MLT-2 looks like
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/mlt2

Do you really believe that you are going to fit a subwoofer, on that cabinet shelf?

I would somehow find a way to wall mount some flat panel speakers by the TV - HTD makes
some white ones (if color is a problem). With your projected set-up, the overall sound will be
somewhat weak and lacking. The imaging and soundstaging will also be poor.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 14 Old 07-24-2012, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

This is what the MLT-2 looks like
http://www.martinlogan.com/products/mlt2
Do you really believe that you are going to fit a subwoofer, on that cabinet shelf?
I would somehow find a way to wall mount some flat panel speakers by the TV - HTD makes
some white ones (if color is a problem). With your projected set-up, the overall sound will be
somewhat weak and lacking. The imaging and soundstaging will also be poor.
Picture might be deceiving but that MLT-2 sub would definitely fit. It's 16 inches and the space below the first shelf is 18 inches. Those shelves are also moveable so I could raise them up if needed but would prefer not to.

I have been looking at those flat panel speakers at HTD. They are definitely on my short list. If I got those now along with a decent sub, I'd probably have to sacrifice getting surrounds until a good deal comes around.

So you would recommend putting the left/right speakers where the candle holders are on the mantle? Would you move the center channel up to the mantle as well or would it work well where I envisioned it?
post #4 of 14 Old 07-24-2012, 06:43 AM

I'd also consider on/in wall options since those aesthetics are much nicer and cleaner. I'd put your Left/Right speaker where those candles are and the center channel right below the TV (you may have to raise the TV a few inches). As has been mentioned you will loose certain sound quality when you go in/on wall so don't expect to be blown away. I'm sure the wife will appreciate the looks of the on/in wall a bit more. You have plenty of options to look for in the manufacturers (Sonance, Klipsch, and Speakercraft to name a few amongst many many more). Good luck.
post #5 of 14 Old 07-24-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTS21 View Post

I have been looking at those flat panel speakers at HTD. They are definitely on my short list. If I got those now along with a decent sub, I'd probably have to sacrifice getting surrounds until a good deal comes around.
So you would recommend putting the left/right speakers where the candle holders are on the mantle? Would you move the center channel up to the mantle as well or would it work well where I envisioned it?

Yes, that will work - and HTD Flat Panels do sound nice, and will perform better than small speakers,
placed inside cabinet shelves behind the TV.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #6 of 14 Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any preference with regard to these two outdoor speakers? Or any others in the same price point?

HTD Q50: http://www.htd.com/Products/Outdoor-Speakers/Q50-outdoor-speakers
OSD's Audio AP640: http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/aphidepaspp.html
post #7 of 14 Old 07-25-2012, 09:02 AM

Liked: 13
I always tought that the front speakers should be placed between 6-8 feet apart, isn't the distance you are suggesting to place the FS too short?, on another thought, it looks like the best option though, to place them where the candle holders are.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

So I had my friend come over who is more of an audiophile than me. He brought some of his older -- but still good -- speakers and we tested out a few configurations.

Placing the speakers on the mantle just didn't cut it. Even after calibrating the speakers with the 1912, the sound appeared to be going over our heads while sitting on the coach. It also didn't seem to fill the room evenly. I think the height of the mantle was causing the problem. The speakers were a good 3-4 feet above ear level. Angling them toward the listening area helped a little bit but I still wasn't too impressed.

We then placed the speakers in the middle of the bottom shelves (which are real close to ear level). The difference in sound quality was drastically better, even before calibrating them. Once we did the calibration with the receiver, every corner of the room had amazing sound.

I went ahead and purchased the center channel speaker from HTD and got the Polk Monitor 30 Series II speakers and subwoofer from Newegg.

All will be arriving on Monday and I can't wait.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions and ideas.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I am not sure putting the subwoofer on a shelf of a cabinet is such a good idea...might need to find some floorspace for that!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #10 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

I am not sure putting the subwoofer on a shelf of a cabinet is such a good idea...might need to find some floorspace for that!
Ideally, that is the plan but with a curious rugrat and another on the way, it's not possible right now. The shelf is very solid and sturdy so it will do for now.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTS21 View Post

Ideally, that is the plan but with a curious rugrat and another on the way, it's not possible right now. The shelf is very solid and sturdy so it will do for now.

Just be aware that this will most likely affect your sound.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I hear you...those 'rats can sure change the layout of a house smile.gif!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #13 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

I hear you...those 'rats can sure change the layout of a house smile.gif!

Understood, I have thee under the age of 7 myself. Luckily, they have not done much to my subwoofer outside of sticking a few things down a port that I was able to fish out smile.gif
post #14 of 14 Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Just be aware that this will most likely affect your sound.
I know, unfortunately options are pretty low right now. The only other option I have is a sub built into the wall behind the coach.

I figure I'd try this route for now before I start putting more holes in the walls.
Reply Speakers

Tags
Denon Avr 1913 Receiver

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page