7.1 Speaker Placement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I've got a problem regarding speaker placement. This is currently the floorplan my room:

I usually sit on my bed, on the foot of the bed (where I have a sofa) and in a chair on the left side of the picture.

Now the front speakers I have placed beside the TV (on the bottom of the picture), together with the center and sub. The rear speakers probably on the wall at the head of the bed.
My problem is with the side speakers. I can place the left speaker on the right side of the picture (I have a desk over there). The right speaker I can't place on the left side of the picture since I have a window right there, covering around 80% of the length of it. Also planning on getting backout / soundproof curtains to place there, so can't place it inside the curtain.

Another option is to mount it on the edge where the wall and the ceiling meet; I can do that for just the one speaker, both side speakers, or all four side and rear speakers. What would be the best placement?

I'm also worried that having the front speakers so close to each other that if I sit on position three, on the side of the bed, it'll be off. Also, won't the rear speakers literally beside my head when I'm on the bed be bad, especially if I calibrate it when I'm seating at the front?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
With your room layout you really can't properly implement standard 7.1 with rear speakers. You should have 3 to 6 feet between the speakers and the listening position. If you have a receiver with PLIIz or NeoX or DSX you could try 7.1 with front heights or front wides. If that won't work then just stick with 5.1.

Also however you mount your surrounds I personally would do all of them the same way.

Shawn
post #3 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

The rear speakers should be alright since i mostly sit on the foot of the bed anyway if I do some movie watching..

If that's not the concern, how should I mount the side speakers when I can't mount one side ear level? Would it be okay that one I mount on a higher position, close to the ceiling?
post #4 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
There are 2 different schools of thought for surround speakers (1 the tweeters should be at ear height (2 the tweeters should be 2-3 feet above ear level. Me I hate surrounds at ear level, I have all mine at 3' above seated ear level and love it. I've also done setups for ppl that wanted them smack up against the ceiling and they still sounded fine.

Shawn
post #5 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Your likely best bet would be to place the speaker on a stand as it sounds like other options will be taken. Additionally you might want to truly review the need for 7.1 vs 5.1, you can always add 2 speakers at a later date and more than likely will not be missing much in the audio submersion realm.

PSN & XBL: Epyon415
Twitch.tv: http://www.twitch.tv/epyon415
Twitter: @gundumgaming
YouTube Gameplay Videos
post #6 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

There are 2 different schools of thought for surround speakers (1 the tweeters should be at ear height (2 the tweeters should be 2-3 feet above ear level. Me I hate surrounds at ear level, I have all mine at 3' above seated ear level and love it. I've also done setups for ppl that wanted them smack up against the ceiling and they still sounded fine.

Yeah, I've seen a lot of listening rooms that mount speakers high up, and they sound alright to me. At least this way, it won't be obstructing any furniture and such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epyon415 View Post

Your likely best bet would be to place the speaker on a stand as it sounds like other options will be taken. Additionally you might want to truly review the need for 7.1 vs 5.1, you can always add 2 speakers at a later date and more than likely will not be missing much in the audio submersion realm.

As much as I want to experiment, using 5.1 before going 7.1, the room is being renovated, so it's hard to add the 2 additional speakers at the later date unless I leave an exposed wire on the ceiling. Also, does anybody have experience with 7.1 but using high / wide fronts? My receiver supports it, but already using floor-standing speakers, so it might be overkill?
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page