3.1 Home Theater Speaker/Setup Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 04:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey AVSers,

I know this has been asked hundreds of times… I've read more than a dozen of similar threads, but none quite answered my questions.

I'm planning on purchasing a 73" or 82" Mitsubishi DLP TV as soon as one of them goes on a good sale again.

Room:

Boxes: Apple TV, Roku, and PS3.

I'm looking for a good 3.1 setup. I don't want to run wires, and I don't feel the rear speakers add enough to be worth the hassle. I mainly watch TV shows and some movies.

I saw this deal on a complete Klipsch setup over on Slickdeals for $1200.

It includes:
2 Klipsch RF-42 II (Towers)
1 Klipsch RC-42 II (Centers)
2 Klipsch RS-41 II (Surrounds)
1 Harman Kardon AVR-1650 Receiver
1 BIC Acoustech PL-200 12" Subwoofer

I'd sell the 2 RS-41 II surround speakers, and possibly the receiver (see below).

I've also looked into the Polk R60s which sell for $150 (on sale for $99), but by the time I add a center, sub, and receiver, I'm only $100ish less than the Klipsch deal. The Klipsch are a much better speaker, right?

Next, I'd prefer to just wire all of the boxes directly to the TV. If I were to sell the included H/K AV receiver, is there are cheaper receiver that would power the speakers and sub, but doesn't include the the video pass-thru stuff? Would an amp with digital input work? If so, point me towards a good one.

Hope would these be for music listening?

Would do you think? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 07:05 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealhershey View Post

I'd sell the 2 RS-41 II surround speakers, and possibly the receiver (see below).

---snip---

Would do you think? I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks! smile.gif

I haven't seen the back of either of the TV's you mention but I'm guessing here, I don't suspect that you'll find hookups and processors for 3.1 sound in the back of the TV.
post #3 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

I haven't seen the back of either of the TV's you mention but I'm guessing here, I don't suspect that you'll find hookups and processors for 3.1 sound in the back of the TV.

Mitsubishi TVs look to only have the Orange Digital Audio Outputs

And my current TV has Optical Digital Out and Left (white)/Right (red) outputs.
post #4 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 AM

Doesn't look to be anything there which a person can hang a speaker on.
post #5 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Wasn't planning on handing them off the TV. If you mean, wire the speakers directly to the TV, I know that's not possible — I'll either need an amp or receiver, right?
post #6 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:

Wasn't planning on handing them off the TV. If you mean, wire the speakers directly to the TV, I know that's not possible — I'll either need an amp or receiver, right?

Yep.

Now the fun part, a budget. eek.gif
post #7 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yep.
Now the fun part, a budget. eek.gif

Did you read my entire first post? It seems like we're on different pages or something.

Budget is as low as possible, but I'l like to stay around the $750ish are, +/- $200
post #8 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:

Did you read my entire first post? It seems like we're on different pages or something.
Budget is as low as possible, but I'l like to stay around the $750ish are, +/- $200

Nope. Read it. And you were all over the map when you posted you might sell the receiver when you wrote:

"I'd sell the 2 RS-41 II surround speakers, and possibly the receiver (see below)."

And you posted:

"Next, I'd prefer to just wire all of the boxes directly to the TV. If I were to sell the included H/K AV receiver, is there are cheaper receiver that would power the speakers and sub, but doesn't include the the video pass-thru stuff?"

So, we're back to a budget that includes a receiver you're not going sell. biggrin.gif
post #9 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, what I meant was... If I were to sell the Harman Kardon AVR-1650 Receiver that's included in the Klipsch deal, since I'm planning on using the TV's HDMI inputs, would a regular amp or stereo receiver power the speakers, and if so, what would be a good one.

The included receiver seems like over kill to me. I'm not planning on keeping the rear speakers included in the package, nor the video pass-thru part of the receiver.
post #10 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 07:00 PM

You need to process the signal and then you need to amplify the signal to power the speakers. The receiver does all three, process the signal, amplify the signal and there-by, power the speakers.

As to overkill, that's a yes and no answer but, that's how technology is being bundled for the general public. You can go for separates and get a three channel Amp. but now you're talking lots of money.

In the case of a limited budget, get the TV, get a decent receiver with all the whistles and bells and then when you can, upgrade the speakers you bought. You can tumble the choices around to suit yourself. The components being; Blu-ray player which can come in the form of a gaming machine, speakers, receiver and TV. Now we're into the budget; how much to allocate for each component? You'll find that realistically, if you triple or quadruple your stated budget, you're cooking. It's one of those sad but true kinda statements. It's all about what do you realistically want and how much do you have in your budget and what can you compromise on to make it all happen.

The good news, pretty much, at any price point today, for what everything does, it's all good.
post #11 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I think I know where we're not quite connecting with each other. My TV budget is different from my sound budget. I know the TV is going to be $1000-$1600, depending which size and model I get. Sound alone I'd like to be in the $750 range.

$600 RF-42 II (Towers)
$250 RC-42 II (Centers)
$350 RS-41 II (Surrounds)
$350 Harman Kardon AVR-1650 Receiver
$250 BIC Acoustech PL-200 12" Subwoofer

Total: $1800 (package price $1200)

If I sold the RS-41s, say for $300, now I'm down to $900.
If I sold the H/K AVR, say fro $300ish, now I'm down to $600.

If I bought a Denon 1612, or similar $200ish receiver I'm back to $800ish.

If I bought Polk
$200 R60s towers
$150 CS20 center
$200 BIC F12 sub
$200 receiver

Total: $750ish, and the speakers aren't on the same level as the Klipsch, right?

Is the Klipsch a good deal? Or is/are there a better option(s) in the same price range for a 3.1 system?
post #12 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Total: $750ish, and the speakers aren't on the same level as the Klipsch, right?

In my opinion, no. I went from Polk to Klipsch.

Quote:
Is the Klipsch a good deal?

I understand what you're doing but I can't reasonably answer that question as it's not if you don't get the price for the items you plan to sell as now you're stuck with what you don't want, for a price you don't want to pay. That sucks.

Quote:
Or is/are there a better option(s) in the same price range for a 3.1 system?

At this price point, with what you're wanting to do, I have no experience. I'm going out on a limb here and suggest you look into this 7.1 Onkyo package at Vann's.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S7500-7-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B008DB9OWI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343180381&sr=8-2&keywords=onkyo+sks+ht870

Here's just the speaker system.

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKSKSHT870/Onkyo-SKS-HT870-7.1-channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System-Black/1.html

In the morning, give Vann's a call and see what kind of deal you can work out.
post #13 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

In my opinion, no. I went from Polk to Klipsch.
I understand what you're doing but I can't reasonably answer that question as it's not if you don't get the price for the items you plan to sell as now you're stuck with what you don't want, for a price you don't want to pay. That sucks.
At this price point, with what you're wanting to do, I have no experience. I'm going out on a limb here and suggest you look into this 7.1 Onkyo package at Vann's.
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S7500-7-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B008DB9OWI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343180381&sr=8-2&keywords=onkyo+sks+ht870
Here's just the speaker system.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKSKSHT870/Onkyo-SKS-HT870-7.1-channel-Home-Theater-Speaker-System-Black/1.html
In the morning, give Vann's a call and see what kind of deal you can work out.

Which Polk speakers did you have, and what Klipsch speakers do you have now? Which ones are better?

I'd sell them one way or another. Criagslist, or Amazon/Ebay if I had too. It's not like they're going to lose value if it takes a month or two to sell them.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 08:07 PM

double post

-
post #15 of 15 Old 07-24-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:

Which Polk speakers did you have, and what Klipsch speakers do you have now?

It's been too many years to remember which Polks I had. Currently, the mains are Klipsch, Epic, CF-3's and the center channel is a KV4. I have a Klipsch, B-stock, RC-64 II on order to replace the KV4. The RC-64 II should be here tomorrow.

Quote:
Which ones are better?

Without a doubt, the Klipsch speakers sound better. I like the direct nature of the horns and also, the mains have killer base.

Quote:
I'd sell them one way or another. Criagslist, or Amazon/Ebay if I had too. It's not like they're going to lose value if it takes a month or two to sell them.

If doing so is something you feel comfortable with, I'd go with it.

-
Reply Speakers