Anyone ever heard of these speakers before? Probably quite vintage :) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just throwing this up to see if anyone has any idea what I've got here. The speakers came with the house when I bought it. The previous owner wasn't any help and google turns up absolutely nothing at all. There are no model numbers or any markings at all other than what is shown in the pictures. Also the screen is glued on so I wouldn't be able to take it off either.

Just curious more than anything!

Pete

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 06:21 PM

Liked: 17
Weird you can't find anything on Google... how do they sound?
post #3 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Looks like the company you refer to is Candle aka Jutan International Limited (JIL)

http://audiotools.com/dead_c.html
http://audiotools.com/en_links_jh.html#jutan
http://abe.en.ec21.com/

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/archive/index.php/t-449673.html

"Probably Candle or some other similar brand found in department stores back in the 1970's..often part of one of those all in one turntable cassette receivers.
Of course you are in the US so maybe not Candle which was distributed here in Canada by Jutan International but I think you get the idea."

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #4 of 11 Old 07-25-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if the Jutan International Ltd idea works, it's a company based out of Canada and these clearly say Rochester, NY.

I'm actually contemplating upgrading out of them. The sound quality is fine, but my other speakers leave them in the dust for output. They generate far less volume then my in wall rear channels! Tends to create problems in surround sound.... I'll go to a couple of local audiophile type shops and ask around as I'll be auditioning replacements anyways. I have the feeling that they were a local product.

Pete
post #5 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauthi View Post

I don't know if the Jutan International Ltd idea works, it's a company based out of Canada and these clearly say Rochester, NY.
I'm actually contemplating upgrading out of them. The sound quality is fine, but my other speakers leave them in the dust for output. They generate far less volume then my in wall rear channels! Tends to create problems in surround sound.... I'll go to a couple of local audiophile type shops and ask around as I'll be auditioning replacements anyways. I have the feeling that they were a local product.
Pete

Pete, in my quick searches for you...I saw NY addresses for the local, US distribution. I also saw others asking about Candle/JIL gear...where the speaker-grills were glued on. Unfortunately, I think you've found your man.

These might as well be "Montgomery Ward" specials...which I actually think is how the systems were described; as being popular all-in-ones, through low-rent Department store chains. No offense...because I know you didn't buy them or anything; but what you clearly have are cheap pieces of crap; correction...old, cheap pieces of crap. I'm not trying to be a jerk; as I said, it's not like I'm criticizing your purchase. I'm just not sure why you seem to be endlessly searching, like you have some hidden, undiscovered gem there? I'm afraid you're going to embarrass yourself, if you go asking around at "audiophile shops".

You said the previous home-owner left them with the house, right? There's probably a reason for that. Good luck.

CD

Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. -Plato
post #6 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm not thinking they're worth something, I want to get rid of them smile.gif I'm just the type that once i get something in my head I HAVE to figure it out to the best of my abilities or it will drive me nuts! I'm not saying you're wrong, not by a long stretch, but the jury is still out for my satisfaction. It's just a little too thin of a case for me.

Thanks for the input tho, it's given me much more stuff to google.

Don't worry about me embarrassing myself asking around, I'm pretty used to it wink.gif

Pete
post #7 of 11 Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 PM

Liked: 14
My google-fu is strong. Here's a clue for you. It appears Trinity Audio Corp. was the the parent company.
http://businessprofiles.com/details/trinity-audio-corporation/NY-524151

Searching on them yielded this.
http://www.usedprice.com/items/audio/zvox/speaker/1-system-47525.html

That's all I got.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-27-2012, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, you're google-fu is amazing! Kinda funny, the address is not far at all from where I grew up.
post #9 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauthi View Post

Wow, you're google-fu is amazing! Kinda funny, the address is not far at all from where I grew up.

Good; you should drive there, and talk to them. That way, they can tell you that JIL stands for Jutan International Limited...lol. Last time I checked, there's no T in JIL; and I don't see Trinity on those speakers anywhere.

I don't think you understand the nature of these speakers, or this company Dauthi. You're looking for a straight line; there isn't one. The company that made these speakers...made hundreds or thousands of products, under hundreds (or maybe even thousands as well) of different company names. It's called a conglomerate; in fact, I think their big claim to fame now, is Citizen watches. Again...no offense; but that should tell you something about the quality of the speakers.

Yes, I am being slightly defensive...lol; my Google-fu is quite good too tongue.gif

CD

post #10 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Since the speakers have a 1/4-inch microphone jack at the input, and volume control, they would seem to be powered speakers intended for use on a bandstand in a bar or night-club by a band. Do they have a power cord?

They were probably sold by a music store that caters to local musicians.

They probably are not anything one would consider high-fidelity; just public address stuff basically.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Uh, I think it says "Mid Level", as in the middle box, midrange driver...

"After silence, that which best expresses the inexpressible, is music" - Aldous Huxley
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page