Opinions please. Finally looking for speakers for my 7.1 receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 07-25-2012, 07:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I'm finally going to buy speakers for my HT room. My last speakers were DCM KX12/KX6 and even though I bought them pre-5.1 days, I was never satisfied with the HT experience even with the new speaker. They did rock the college scene well. I work during the day in the room and have music playing or something on TV. Nights it will be for movies. I've surfed around the site and checked the stores locally and like the Polk's that I've heard as well as any others. I demoed the Monitor 30s locally and see that I can order monitor 40s for fairly decent price.

I'd like either bookshelf or satellites like the TL250 because I can put them on the bookshelf on each side of the TV.

Is it a good idea to use the Monitor 40s for the front L/R and the surrounds?
Which center is best? The CS1 I think or CS2?
What is a good sub to look at? I want a good sub but don't want to break the bank. The main thing I want to avoid is port noise. I don't really have a set budget for a sub. $300ish I guess

Any input would be great. Is there another brand I should look at? I also want to add that hearing in one ear is pretty bad so I have a hard time focusing with other noise like ambient talking. I really want a "room filling" sound(sorry for the Bose reference.)

Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR702
Here's my room layout if that helps. The ticks on the walls are doors and one 8.5' window to the right of the TV
BonusRoom.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Budget?

I'd recommend against a poorly designed, horizontal center channel. I'd strongly consider buying three identical fronts, and finding a way to optimize/integrate them all in the same horizontal plane, aimed at the listener.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #3 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

I'd like to stay around $500-600 for all 7 speakers and these fit in that range based on pricing from New Egg. Then some where around $300ish for the sub. I've seen the Klipsh mentioned as good bang for the buck at that price point but if I need to add a few dollars I can.

I thought the CS1 center was made to match these speakers. What would I gain buy using a Monitor 40 for the center? Other than horizontal and price they look like almost the same speaker.

I'm not a super audiophile but I also don't like to buy twice/cry twice.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
A monitor 40 is not a center speaker; you want the CS20. Don't cheap out on the center speaker!

To stay within your budget and get a decent system, you want a pair of Monitor 40 speakers, a CS20, and a pair of Monitor 30 speakers. That will cost around $450 total. Get those 5 speakers now, and you will have your basic system established. the Monitor 40 has pretty good bass.

Forget about 7 speakers. You don't have anywhere near enough money. Try to get a decent 5.1 system together, and you can add 2 more speakers later.

The Klipsch RW12D subwoofer is pretty good and can be had for $300-350.

You might find the Polk PSW505 for as low as $250, but it is not as good.

If you don't have the money for a decent sub now, save your money and do without one for a while. Don't waste money on one that is inadequate.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 09:48 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

I really don't have advice specifics on products in that range.

Actually, and very seriously, I'd not recommend buying all seven speakers for $500-$600. Examine pursuing a simple 2.1 (L & R w/sub) system, and as funds permit, proceed from there. If you consider surround, 5.1 is fine for now, 7.1 can wait. More, lower quality speakers is not going to further your enjoyment in my opinion.

post #6 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

A monitor 40 is not a center speaker; you want the CS20. Don't cheap out on the center speaker!
To stay within your budget and get a decent system, you want a pair of Monitor 40 speakers, a CS20, and a pair of Monitor 30 speakers. That will cost around $450 total.
The Klipsch RW12D subwoofer is pretty good and can be had for $300-350.
You might find the Polk PSW505 for as low as $250, but it is not as good.
If you don't have the money for a decent sub now, save your money and do without one for a while. Don't waste money on one that is inadequate.

Clearly, commsysman is more familiar than I am with this area, that's good.

Now, if the CS20 is a solid buy (I don't know what it is), and they fit your budget, then get three of them.

post #7 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

So you'd recommend a budget MTM, because the bookshelf is "not a center speaker"?

JohnDean
If you can place the Monitor 40 vertically, then I'm with FOH - use three identical fronts. There is nothing magical about "Center" speakers.. and in some cases, they perform worse than their bookshelf/monitor counterparts, particularly in budget designs that don't invest in properly designing the xover to address issues with regard to off axis response.

Here are a couple good articles about the advantages/disadvantages of horiztonal MTM vs vertical designs that can help you make an informed decision which is better for your need.
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/vertical-vs-horizontal-speaker-designs
http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/center-channel-designs

Regarding a sub, there is a budget sub thread here that is helpful:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1364182/list-of-budget-subwoofers-300-and-less

The Klipsch RW-12d for $300 and Energy S10.3 for $200-220 seem to be the budget favorites as of late... that is, when newegg is running the sales on them.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the help so far.

Money aside is there no benefit to have monitor 40s for the rear? They are on sale at NewEgg for 139/pair. The Monitor 30 is only $30 cheaper. The links above make sense to me and I've seen a lot of the more expensive setups on here and other sites use a center that is the same as the L/R so it can't be worse than a labeled "center speaker." All of that said I can get 4 pair for just over $600 tax/shipping included to my door. That's doable. I'm not sure I can get 5 speakers that are better for that price so why not get the 7 now?

Is there anything else in that bang for buck range? I really just want decent sound that fills the room. With my hearing problems I have difficulty focusing on dialog especially if there's any ambient noise.

I'm going to check out the budget sub link and may hold out for the Klipsch on sale since I've had friends recommend it also. I'm not opposed to spending $100 or so more for a sub if there are benefits.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I like these for mains:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-Two-way-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B0045NCB32/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1343357664&sr=8-3&keywords=Infinity+Primus

A matching vertical speaker is almost always the best center speaker as well vs a horizontal speaker. However many people cannot fit a horizontal speaker in their setup easily.

If you need a horizontal center, I would recommend this matching one:

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-PC351-Three-way-Center-Channel/dp/B0044D1788/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1343357664&sr=8-2&keywords=Infinity+Primus

With these surrounds:
http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Primus-P153-Bookshelf-Satellite/dp/B004649W1Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343357664&sr=8-1&keywords=Infinity+Primus

The Klipsch sub is a good value.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 435
I would look at 5 each of the Boston A26 speakers
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSA26WHA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-A26-2-Way-6.5in-Bookshelf-Speaker-Each-Gloss-White/1.html

If you need to go a little smaller for the center - then the A25 as a center
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSA25WHA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-A25-2-Way-5.25in-Bookshelf-Speaker-Each-Gloss-White/1.html

If you need to go regular center channel - then the A225C
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSA225CWHA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-A225C-2-Way-Center-Channel-Speaker-White/1.html

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page