SOLVED: Question About Center Channel Model And Placement (pics included) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
OK, so here's my setup:

As you can see, there is very little room under the TV on the first shelf of the stand, for speakers. I currently am using the speaker set from an Onkyo HT-S5400, with the Onkyo 609 as the receiver. The onkyo center channel fits because it uses 3 1/2" drivers and the cabinet is barely 5" tall. Total clearance under the TV is between 5 3/4 and 6 inches. I can't set the speaker in front of the TV because it blocks the TV's IR sensor for the remote.

I'm looking at these two center channels for upgrade:

Polk CS10

BIC America DV-62CLRS

First question, which would you get? Second, would it be a bad idea to place the center channel above the panel, mounted to the wall and telescoping out and angled down towards the listening area? Or should I try and make a rig to lift the panel up higher on the stand? The stand is a Walker/Edison 4 in 1.

Could I maybe just get an IR blaster of some type and just sit the bigger speaker in front of the TV on the shelf? That would probably be the most ghetto version...

At this time, mounting the panel to the wall is not an option.

Any adivce is appreciated!

60" 1080p 3D Plasma Panel
3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 257
I suggest that you get the Cambridge Audio S50 center speaker.

It is only 4.6 inches tall, and will sound one heck of a lot better than the two you mentioned.
post #3 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 39
If you want to get a bigger center channel, take a look at these shelves:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-b8B5KscVuxn/shopsearch/center_stage.html

post #4 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 AM

Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrey0118 View Post

At this time, mounting the panel to the wall is not an option.

I get this point when I post what I'm posting below as adjustments to your thinking are needed in order to accommodate the short comings in your venue, in order to accommodate a response to your question.

smile.gif

Quote:
Any adivce is appreciated!

The sound is suppose to center on the lips of the producer (the speaker) of sound which you're seeing on the television. Ninety percent of television audio, expectedly comes from the center channel. Contrary to popular convention, yes, the center channel is nine times more important than the mains. eek.gif

That being said, one wants the sound coming from the television itself, not from all the other speakers in your system.

Quote:
First question, which would you get?

The baddest center channel I can afford. biggrin.gif

Based on your provided image, I'd lose the entertainment center, mount the television, raised on the wall and use some flat or in wall mounted speakers in the fashioned image below.

x1_fc814ee79c54a2c3256dd332d98355d5.jpg

Klipsch G28 series.

-
post #5 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 46
The recommendation for the Cambridge S50 is a good one. The S-series is good product for the money. If you don't mind open box, you could also get the matching fronts (S30) from here for a good price: http://www.avhifi.com/shop/clearance-items.html

That dealer is authorized and has an active coupon code for 10% off to, so you can get the S30 for cheap. I've dealt with them before, and they appear to be a very reliable dealer. I'd guess I'm not alone when I say that you should upgrade your fronts to match whatever center you're getting.

I have no experience with the Polk or BIC you mention, but my general experience with Polk's budget speakers is that I would skip them altogether. No idea how BIC's speakers sound - some folks like them.

Also, you can definitely mount the center above the TV as long as you can angle it down toward the listening position AND the front of the speaker is in front of the TV. You don't want them flush, because the TV will act as an extension of the baffle which is not a good thing for the sound.

Likewise, if you are going to keep the center on the stand, I'd recommend you pull it to the very front of the shelf. With it placed as it is now, the sound is immediately reflecting off that glass surface, which is also not good for the sound.
post #6 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

The sound is suppose to center on the lips of the producer (the speaker) of sound you're seeing on the television. Ninety percent of television audio, expectedly comes from the center channel. contrary to popular convention, yes, the center channel is nine times more important than the mains. eek.gif

Can't say I agree with that. If you want to experience a balanced, immersive front stage, I'd argue that the fronts and center are equally important. I don't think it's a bad idea to get the best center one can afford, as long as said person can still afford the matching/equally competent L/R.
post #7 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii View Post

The recommendation for the Cambridge S50 is a good one. The S-series is good product for the money. If you don't mind open box, you could also get the matching fronts (S30) from here for a good price: http://www.avhifi.com/shop/clearance-items.html

That dealer is authorized and has an active coupon code for 10% off to, so you can get the S30 for cheap. I've dealt with them before, and they appear to be a very reliable dealer. I'd guess I'm not along when I say that you should upgrade your fronts to match whatever center you're getting.

I have no experience with the Polk or BIC you mention, but my general experience with Polk's budget speakers is that I would skip them altogether. No idea how BIC's speakers sound - some folks like them.

Also, you can definitely mount the center above the TV as long as you can angle it down toward the listening position AND the front of the speaker is in front of the TV. You don't want them flush, because the TV will act as an extension of the baffle which is not a good thing for the sound.

Likewise, if you are going to keep the center on the stand, I'd recommend you pull it to the very front of the shelf. With it placed as it is now, the sound is immediately reflecting off that glass surface, which is also not good for the sound.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, in order to have the center channel extend out far enough to be in front of the top of the panel, I would need a bracket that can extend at least 18". The best I've found so far is one that does 14", but it's expensive. Seems I'm pretty limited at this time, because wall mounting the panel isn't going to happen anytime soon.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #8 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Based on your provided image, I'd lose the entertainment center, mount the television, raised on the wall and use some flat or in wall mounted speakers in the fashioned image below.
x1_fc814ee79c54a2c3256dd332d98355d5.jpg
Klipsch G28 series.
-

Alot of problems with that setup. It's clearly more about "looking pretty" than optimal sound. The TV is way too high. The speakers are arranged around the TV for looks, instead of having them arranged with the tweeters all at as close to the same height as possible, and as close to ear level as possible. With the L/R mounted up high with the TV, and flat to the wall, they are now firing straight overheard instead of down toward the listener.
post #9 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, in order to have the center channel extend out far enough to be in front of the top of the panel, I would need a bracket that can extend at least 18". The best I've found so far is one that does 14", but it's expensive. Seems I'm pretty limited at this time, because wall mounting the panel isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Sounds like you'd be better off checking out the Center Stage brackets that NewHTbuyer linked, but that still leaves the issue that the front of the center channel and the front of the TV are going to be roughly flush with one another.

That said, I've seen several members here that use those shelves and they seem to be satisfied.
post #10 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

The sound is suppose to center on the lips of the producer (the speaker) of sound you're seeing on the television. Ninety percent of television audio, expectedly comes from the center channel. contrary to popular convention, yes, the center channel is nine times more important than the mains. eek.gif

Can't say I agree with that. If you want to experience a balanced, immersive front stage, I'd argue that the fronts and center are equally important. I don't think it's a bad idea to get the best center one can afford, as long as said person can still afford the matching/equally competent L/R.

Yeah, I have my eye on the Polk Monitor 60's for the mains upgrade. They were going for $114 each at a 3rd party seller on Amazon (brand new), but now they're back up to $146. I have to do this piecemeal and definitely on a limited budget 'cause we blew all the xtra $ on the tvs. receivers, and accessories.

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #11 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Can't say I agree with that. If you want to experience a balanced, immersive front stage, I'd argue that the fronts and center are equally important.

It's not about balance, it's about being true to the soundtrack. Ninety percent of the sound track is geared towards the center channel and ten percent is geared towards the outer L/R channels; surrounds and subs are spatial and effect. As I posted, contrary to conventional thinking the center channel is where it's all happening.

Grow your speaker system from the center channel out and go from there.
post #12 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Actually, if I move the center channel to the edge of the glass I can get at least another four good inches of clearance before blocking the IR sensor becomes a problem, so that may be the best short term solution...problem is you can see the wires going out the back, which looks a bit messy and I had it recessed that far so my little ones wouldn't get there sticky little hands all over it...

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #13 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not about balance, it's about being true to the soundtrack. Ninety percent of the sound track is geared towards the center channel and ten percent is geared towards the outer L/R channels; surrounds and subs are spatial and effect. As I posted, contrary to conventional thinking the center channel is where it's all happening.

I don't know where you're getting your numbers... but with recent blu-ray that's just not the case for most of the movies I've seen. TV shows maybe, but not with blu-rays.

Again, building from the center channel out isn't a bad thing, as long as it doesn't come at the expense of buying lesser fronts.

On the other hand, I think we'd agree that, for a HT oriented system, it's a bad move to overbuy on the L/R at the expense of the center.
post #14 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Alot of problems with that setup. It's clearly more about "looking pretty" than optimal sound. The TV is way too high. The speakers are arranged around the TV for looks, instead of having them arranged with the tweeters all at as close to the same height as possible, and as close to ear level as possible. With the L/R mounted up high with the TV, and flat to the wall, they are now firing straight overheard instead of down toward the listener.

There's no problem with the setup as if one has a barber chair under their butt they can raise themselves up.

It's not nice to talk down to people when asking for advice. I'm helping mfrey0118 as you're not helping me. As posted, the image Is nothing more than an "example" to address the shortcomings of the original image that mfrey. posted of his viewing venue. And yes, in the "REAL" world, there is a compromise between reality and beautiful.

(happy, happy, hap-pi)

smile.gif

I married my wife for her beauty, I stuck with her for her brains. Don't be quick to throw beauty under the bus as beauty is a commodity we all want and need.
post #15 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 106
The other thing to consider is off-axis response. If you sit off-axis the speaker itself may be a limiting factor. Are you usually sitting somewhat directly in front of the center channel, or are you sitting off to a side? As far as placement, ideally you want the tweeter of all your main speakers at ear level when seated. So the closer you can get to achieving that, the better the center speaker will sound.

Hard to tell from the pics, but is your TV wall mounted or sitting on the console? If it is sitting on the console you could always, buy or build a shelf, so the center channel would be under the TV. It still might be too low, but ideally you want a center that you can tilt and aim it at the listening position. I also agree above that you are going to be limited by your speakers. Lots of options out there on an upgrade. I would look for a center channel that measures well both on and off axis.
post #16 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's no problem with the setup as if one has a barber chair under their butt they can raise themselves up.
It's not nice to talk down to people when asking for advice. I'm helping mfrey0118 as you're not helping me. As posted, the image Is nothing more than an "example" to address the shortcomings of the original image that mfrey. posted of his viewing venue. And yes, in the "REAL" world, there is a compromise between reality and beautiful.
(happy, happy, hap-pi)
smile.gif
I married my wife for her beauty, I stuck with her for her brains. Don't be quick to throw beauty under the bus as beauty is a commodity we all want and need.

I'm not trying to talk down to anyone... and I wasn't trying to rag on you for the pic you posted, so I apologize if I came off that way.

I just wanted to point out that there are issues with that particular setup. You may have already been aware of the compromises, but others may not. The simple fact that so many people go with the TV over the fireplace layout is evidence that many people don't realize that shortcomings of that setup (not just from an audio perspective, but from a cervical spine health perspective). Of course, there are ways to use that type of layout and avoid the issues I pointed out... and that's why I pointed out the issue, so others could avoid them.

In all but dedicated theater rooms, layout and placement are almost always a compromise. It's up to the individual to determine what look suits his/her while minimizing the detriment to sound. And that will vary from person to person.
post #17 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

The other thing to consider is off-axis response. If you sit off-axis the speaker itself may be a limiting factor. Are you usually sitting somewhat directly in front of the center channel, or are you sitting off to a side? As far as placement, ideally you want the tweeter of all your main speakers at ear level when seated. So the closer you can get to achieving that, the better the center speaker will sound.
Hard to tell from the pics, but is your TV wall mounted or sitting on the console? If it is sitting on the console you could always, buy or build a shelf, so the center channel would be under the TV. It still might be too low, but ideally you want a center that you can tilt and aim it at the listening position. I also agree above that you are going to be limited by your speakers. Lots of options out there on an upgrade. I would look for a center channel that measures well both on and off axis.

Good point about off-axis performance. And that is something to take into account when considering buying any horizontally arrayed speaker.

In an ideal world, I'd skip the S50 for alternative options. It's a horizontal MTM with somewhat wide mid spacing and a 2nd order xover. That is not a recipe for good off-axis performance.

But, in sticking with the OP's height and budget guidelines, and knowing that the S30 is well engineered for it's price class, the S50 may be a viable option, particularly if he won't be sitting more that 15-20 degrees off axis.
post #18 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

mfrey0118,

Another option in your budget that may be worth considering if you can deal with a taller center is the Pioneer SP-C22 that was recently released.

Andrew Jones, who designed this line for Pioneer, is an extremely well respected designer, and his work speaks for itself. He specifically addressed some concerns regarding off-axis performance of this speaker here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point/2730#post_22245864
post #19 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:

On the other hand, I think we'd agree that, for a HT oriented system, it's a bad move to overbuy on the L/R at the expense of the center.

Some speakers are never happy. eek.gifrolleyes.gif

The problem is providing a solution to mfrey0118's venue. It's hard on one's budget when they find out that they have to trash their furniture and start over......all just to make their speaker choices work.

(Sobs inconsolably.)

tongue.gif

-
post #20 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:

He specifically addressed some concerns regarding off-axis performance of this speaker here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1278774/pioneers-speaker-genius-hits-low-price-point/2730#post_22245864

It's an imperfect world so as a consumer of the perfect world of speaker creation, off axis is the best one can expect as at the same time, more than one individual watches/uses the system. The best consumers can do is create the largest sound field possible and go from there.

(A long time ago I learned that the world of esoteric was the equivalent of la-la land.)
post #21 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

Here's a rough sketch of the rest of my 7.1 layout:

The couch is a sectional, the wall and patio door behind the short side, nothing but open space behind the long side, with a about a 6-8 ft gap between the end of the long side and the opposite wall. Many compromises have to be made with this layout.

Oh and to answer, the TV is on the mount of the stand, which rises up behind the shelves. That's as much clearance as I can get.

Look guys, I know you could just laugh at me...but I'll tell you one thing...if you knew how poor I was, and how creative and determined I've been just to get what i've gotten, you'd be amazed. I just decided that those with $ shouldn't be the only ones who enjoy kick-ass sound, you know?

I also have a complete Onkyo HT-S5400 (including the R590 receiver), hooked up to my 42" Panny ST30 in the bedroom, along with a PS 2 and DVD Recorder.

Anyway, so you can see my issues. My plan is this:

#1 upgrade center channel
#2 upgrade sub (BIC America 450 watt 12" that I'll actually add to the 10" onkyo as a dual sub setup with the BIC low pass at 80)
#3 upgrade mains
#4 upgrade surrounds

See this is why I stared this thread. I didn't realize having the center channel set back would result in loss of fidelity. That's good info. Ultimately, the way I see it, performance trumps appearance everytime, so if it looks a little less clean and tight with the center out on the edge, but it creates better sound I'm all for it...

Would I lose anything by mounting the center channel about 4' above the panel and angling it down to listening level? It would make the speaker about 8' high and slightly behind the panel, but with 4' of clearance it shouldn't result in much interference, right?

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #22 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

mfrey0118,

Another option in your budget that may be worth considering if you can deal with a taller center is the Pioneer SP-C22 that was recently released.

Andrew Jones, who designed this line for Pioneer, is an extremely well respected designer, and his work speaks for itself.

So would you recommend the Pioneer over the Cambridge S50, Polk CS10, or the BIC America DV-62CLRS?

3D 1080p Blu-Ray player
4K 7.2 Channel AVR

post #23 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...off axis is the best one can expect as at the same time, more than one individual watches/uses the system.

Exactly - which is why it's important that the speaker serving center channel duty performs well off-axis...
Quote:

(A long time ago I learned that the world of esoteric was the equivalent of la-la land.)

Not sure what you're referring to as being esoteric in this instance...

When I think esoteric I think, for example, about claims that $2000 speaker cables will dramatically improve sound...
post #24 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So would you recommend the Pioneer over the Cambridge S50, Polk CS10, or the BIC America DV-62CLRS?

I haven't heard them all, so I can't definitively say yes... But the C22 is half the cost of the S50, and given that it was designed by Andrew Jones, I'm confident it is well designed. Best Buy should be selling them soon (if not now), so you could go listen to it in store, or try it in home and return it if you don't like it.

I was impressed with the Cambridge S30, so I would hope Cambridge designed the S50 to the same level or performance. But, it's not unheard of for a company to make a nice 2-way, while the matching MTM center is sub-par (again, in terms of off-axis performance).

As I mentioned before, I just wasn't a fan of the entry level Polk speakers I've heard before... and I have no experience with BIC at all.
post #25 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 537
Quote:

See this is why I stared this thread. I didn't realize having the center channel set back would result in loss of fidelity. That's good info. Ultimately, the way I see it, performance trumps appearance everytime, so if it looks a little less clean and tight with the center out on the edge, but it creates better sound I'm all for it...
Would I lose anything by mounting the center channel about 4' above the panel and angling it down to listening level? It would make the speaker about 8' high and slightly behind the panel, but with 4' of clearance it shouldn't result in much interference, right?

Look at this thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1390240/get-your-tv-off-your-center-channel-with-this-stand

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #26 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Not sure what you're referring to as being esoteric in this instance...

When one's thinking becomes so focused, there's no way the individual can live in the real world where everybody else in the world lives.

Esoteric is a focused set of understanding.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/esoteric

b. Of or relating to that which is known by a restricted number of people.

a. Confined to a small group: esoteric interests.
post #27 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:

Hmmmm... Ahhhh... IMO.... No! That is not how I would approach the question.

The absolute *best* front soundstage is 3 IDENTICAL speakers, placed at the same height, and preferably at ear level. There is no front speaker arrangement or selection that can possibly, in any way, be better than that. Period... Nothing... Nix... Nada. eek.gif

If that ^^^ is the BEST, then anything else is less than the best, and is a compromise by definition. Focusing on the center channel as the "most important" speaker in the front soundstage is a compromise that is something less than the best. Once you start compromising, then a lot of other compromises can become "acceptable", and many of them can sound "good". However, the definition of "good" is highly subjective, and is always less that what can sound "best."

Frankly, I would want a consistent and well-matched front soundstage over one that emphasizes the center channel. There are lots of sounds in any mix where things "pan" through the CC. Those pans will be ideal if each of the speakers sound the same. There are also many "phantom images" that are placed using both the CC and either the L or R speaker. If the speakers are well-matched timbrally, those phantom images will work much better than if the L/R's are not a good timbral-match for the CC.

Emphasizing the CC may have the "benefit" of providing the best centered dialogue, but optimizing dialogue should not come at the expense of all the other sounds that go through the CC. IMO, it is MUCH better to optimize dialogue and *still* retain the SQ of the LR's. That is the *best* compromise.

One of the other "compromises" that people may want can be for aesthetics, and I can certainly understand that. However, I don't find the picture of the system you posted to be "beautiful", because I *know* the acoustic compromises associated with a horizontal CC with 4 small drivers mounted horizontally. (If you would like to discuss this issue, let me know and I'll be happy to provide the info to substantiate this issue.) Add to that the off-axis height issues with the L/R's mounted so high, and the "issues" are exacerbated.

Nonetheless, this could be acceptable for a "media room" or a non-dedicated "theater", where the "frame of reference" is the sound of the internal TV speakers. In that case, the pictured system would be a clear and obvious improvement. Does it rise to the level of what is ideal in a dedicated HT???? IMO... clearly not. eek.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #28 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When one's thinking becomes so focused, there's no way the individual can live in the real world where everybody else in the world lives.
Esoteric is a focused set of understanding.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/esoteric
b. Of or relating to that which is known by a restricted number of people.
a. Confined to a small group: esoteric interests.

Great, you unnecessarily defined the word for me... rolleyes.gif
post #29 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Hmmmm... Ahhhh... IMO.... No! That is not how I would approach the question.

The absolute *best* front soundstage is 3 IDENTICAL speakers, placed at the same height, and preferably at ear level. There is no front speaker arrangement or selection that can possibly, in any way, be better than that. Period... Nothing... Nix... Nada. eek.gif

If that ^^^ is the BEST, then anything else is less than the best, and is a compromise by definition. Focusing on the center channel as the "most important" speaker in the front soundstage is a compromise that is something less than the best. Once you start compromising, then a lot of other compromises can become "acceptable", and many of them can sound "good". However, the definition of "good" is highly subjective, and is always less that what can sound "best."

Frankly, I would want a consistent and well-matched front soundstage over one that emphasizes the center channel. There are lots of sounds in any mix where things "pan" through the CC. Those pans will be ideal if each of the speakers sound the same. There are also many "phantom images" that are placed using both the CC and either the L or R speaker. If the speakers are well-matched timbrally, those phantom images will work much better than if the L/R's are not a good timbral-match for the CC.

Emphasizing the CC may have the "benefit" of providing the best centered dialogue, but optimizing dialogue should not come at the expense of all the other sounds that go through the CC. IMO, it is MUCH better to optimize dialogue and *still* retain the SQ of the LR's. That is the *best* compromise.

One of the other "compromises" that people may want can be for aesthetics, and I can certainly understand that. However, I don't find the picture of the system you posted to be "beautiful", because I *know* the acoustic compromises associated with a horizontal CC with 4 small drivers mounted horizontally. (If you would like to discuss this issue, let me know and I'll be happy to provide the info to substantiate this issue.) Add to that the off-axis height issues with the L/R's mounted so high, and the "issues" are exacerbated.

Nonetheless, this could be acceptable for a "media room" or a non-dedicated "theater", where the "frame of reference" is the sound of the internal TV speakers. In that case, the pictured system would be a clear and obvious improvement. Does it rise to the level of what is ideal in a dedicated HT???? IMO... clearly not. eek.gif
Craig

Well said...
post #30 of 54 Old 07-26-2012, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21

I know this picture is horrible but I took it with what I had on hand.

I had the same problem as you, I got the JTR triple 8 center which is almost 10 inches high and it blocked the IR sensor on the TV.

I went to Home Depot and got a shelf, some 6 inch legs {with mounting screws already attached), brackets and black paint. It cost me $12 and an hour of time. You can't really see it, but it looks ok. Something to consider.
Reply Speakers