post #31 of 32 Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenvent View Post

I like my explosions, bass, techno-music goodness.

Then either the Infinity Primus or Energy RC speakers afrogt and smasher 50 listed along with one of the subs they recommended would be a big improvement for you. The Bose Acoustimass 10 module only has 3 small 5.25" bass drivers, while it's having to produce midbass and whatever low end frequency range it can (probably not very low). The Infinity Primus and Energy RCs have much larger drivers than the Bose cubes that can contribute to midbass output, while the larger drivers in those subs will give you more low frequency output. I have a pair of Energy RC-10s paired with a 10" sub, and they are excellent for techno music because they have good midbass output down to where the sub takes over; your Bose cubes have no midbass output.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
HT: Energy RC-50, RC-LCR, Veritas VS Surrounds | Dual CHT SS 18.1s | Denon AVR-888 | Dayton SA1000 | Antimode 8033C
Desktop: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | HK 3390
Headphone & Portable HE-400 | K612 Pro | HP150 | DX50 | E12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 08-02-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post

Then either the Infinity Primus or Energy RC speakers afrogt and smasher 50 listed along with one of the subs they recommended would be a big improvement for you. The Bose Acoustimass 10 module only has 3 small 5.25" bass drivers, while it's having to produce midbass and whatever low end frequency range it can (probably not very low). The Infinity Primus and Energy RCs have much larger drivers than the Bose cubes that can contribute to midbass output, while the larger drivers in those subs will give you more low frequency output. I have a pair of Energy RC-10s paired with a 10" sub, and they are excellent for techno music because they have good midbass output down to where the sub takes over; your Bose cubes have no midbass output.

Since the frequency gap is 20-42 Hz, 200-280Hz and 13.5K and above, Techno, along with Classical and hip hop get hit hard.

Here's a good source for the frequency response for different music:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1140

There's a lot more information in techno at the low level (20-42Hz) that could be filled in well by a good sub. I assume a sub that is flat (+/-2 or 3db) as opposed to all over the place (+/- 10.5db) will also sound better.

Above where the bose bass unit quits (200Hz), to where the surrounds pick things up (280Hz), there is significant amount of information for all music, but it seems more for hip hop, techno, classical and rock and not as much (but still a good amount) for folk and contemporary easy listening. Of course all of them are affected by the +/- 10.5 db issue.

The above 13k information is most useful in techno, but all of them seem to be less affected by that. This doesn't address movies, which are apt to deal with things like bullet sounds, whistles, etc, things that are probably above 13k.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page