Gauge AWG cable to use for speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-26-2012, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
flyhigh123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a pioneer receiver 1122 and will be powering polk speakers, 2 monitor 70 and CS2, the rears are M60's. Longest run is about 25 feet of wire.

I was wondering for speaker wire if I should buy 14 or 16 gauge CL2 speaker wire?

Anyone can let me know?
flyhigh123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Fitzmaurice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 10,506
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post

I was wondering for speaker wire if I should buy 14 or 16 gauge CL2 speaker wire?
Anyone can let me know?
Use this to find out:
http://www.bcae1.com/images/swfs/speakerwireselectorassistant.swf

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
Bill Fitzmaurice is online now  
post #3 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 07:43 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post

I have a pioneer receiver 1122 and will be powering polk speakers, 2 monitor 70 and CS2, the rears are M60's. Longest run is about 25 feet of wire.
I was wondering for speaker wire if I should buy 14 or 16 gauge CL2 speaker wire?
Anyone can let me know?

Get multi-strand, oxygen free, 12AWG zip line and be done with it. Terminations are extra.

tongue.gif
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I recommend reading this site:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

Proper gauge wire is the key, no reason not to buy your wire from Monoprice and save money. "Magic cables" are a myth..
ack_bk is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 AM
 
BeeMan458's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 8,374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk View Post

"Magic cables" are a myth..

Who are you kidding, they're real. Magic cables make your money disappear and magically reappear again in somebody else's pocket. It's true.

tongue.gif
BeeMan458 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member
 
WagBoss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMan458 View Post

Get multi-strand, oxygen free, 12AWG zip line and be done with it. Terminations are extra.
tongue.gif

this
WagBoss is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member
 
PeterK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The very wet, humid, muggy South !!
Posts: 559
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 54
And when in doubt use larger wire (smaller gauge # = larger diameter). While surrounds don't draw much current, the wire feeding them tends to be much longer and longer wire gives more voltage drop. I use 12 gauge wire for everything - from Monoprice. 16 gauge wire is marginal to me but may be fine for your usage.
PeterK is online now  
post #8 of 8 Old 07-27-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ack_bk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maple Grove, MN
Posts: 8,842
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterK View Post

And when in doubt use larger wire (smaller gauge # = larger diameter). While surrounds don't draw much current, the wire feeding them tends to be much longer and longer wire gives more voltage drop. I use 12 gauge wire for everything - from Monoprice. 16 gauge wire is marginal to me but may be fine for your usage.

This is good advice. Since I ran my speaker wire through my walls when I was finishing my basement, I also planned for 4ohm speakers even though I currently have 8ohm speakers... You never know what the future holds (I may eventually buy 4ohm speakers) and I read more and more reviews where speakers that are rated as 8ohm, really should be rated 4ohm.
ack_bk is offline  
Reply Speakers

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off