Need help understanding how to set up bookshelf speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-27-2012, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, my first post here. I want to get into listening to my music with more quality speakers as I've been just using my speakers that are on my computer monitor and they really suck. I want to set up some compact bookshelf speakers like the PSB imagine B4's (in that size range or smaller) on my desk and later on in the future add on a subwoofer. My room is not really that big, its average, so I dont have a lot of space for bigger speakers. Anyways, I'm looking at speakers such as the PSB Image B4's b/c of the size but how would I connect that to my computer? Would I need a sound card? An amp? some sort of reciever that I keep hearing about on the forums which i dont understand???? I also want to add on a subwoofer later on in the future so I need to know how to connect a subwoofer too. Lastly, my speakers are meant to be hooked up to my computer almost 100% of the time and I will mostly be using it for music, games, and movies. \

Sorry if this was unorganized, here are my questions in order
1) How would I connect bookshelf speakers such as the PSB Image B4's to my computer? (do I need an amp or something?)
2) I want to add on a subwoofer later on in the future. How would I connect this to my computer with my speakers?
3) Just a random question, what is HT? Just a brief answer is good.
3) I'm willing to spend up to $300-400 to set up these speakers. Could somebody recommend me some compact bookshelf speakers that is the best bang for the buck?

any help is REALLY APPRECIATED. I've been stuck for hours trying to understand this but I'm not quite sure how to set it up so I'm posting this thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-27-2012, 03:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Good questions for us newbies smile.gif

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2
post #3 of 5 Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I am using the Audioengine 2 speakers, which have have built-in amplifiers and are designed for exactly this purpose.They have extremely good sound quality.

You just connect them to the sound output jack of your computer and plug them into an AC socket and you are in business.

They cost $200, and are really very good quality speakers, not like the junk that often comes with a computer system.

Stereophile magazine did a full review of them a year or so ago, and it is worth reading for your information.

I also purchased a small inexpensive subwoofer to use with them, and it goes under my computer table on one side. There is a spare jack on the speakers to connect to a sub.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-27-2012, 05:24 AM

I'm far from an expert, but Ill try to help you. The first thing is that if you are going to use regular passive speakers (with/out and amp) like the PSB's you mentioned, your going to need an amplifier. Now I'm not sure what type of PC you have, but I have mined hooked up via Optical cable, but they make all sorts of adapters for going from the sound card (something like this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5598&seq=1&format=2 to an input on the amp. This will also allow you to hook up surround sound and a sub in the future.

With that said, a lot of PC user have been using active studio monitors ( like this http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-truth-b2031a-active-monitor-single?src=3WWRWXGP) which can be hooked up to your sound card directly since they are powered by themselves. Both must be plugged in though, unlike the passive bookshelves above.

Either is a good choice. I went with speakers and amp because I believe it allows you the best flexibility and soundstage, but I have heard other monitor serups that rock as well. So, it will come down to price and personal choice.

HT.....One this forum, usually that stands for Home Theater (AKA movies)

Just my opinion,. some of these awesome guys on AVS can step in and give you more info!

-Cheers
post #5 of 5 Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

What kind of amplifier would be good? my max would be $100 for an amp.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page