Can someone recommend me "micro" sized loudspeakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking for something compact but not limiting, yet better than Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III which are pretty good IMO.

Price I have set is $600 a pair or less.

Dimensions of the product would have to be less than 10 inches tall, and 6 inches or less for the width. Anything larger is a no-go for me, and too imposing for my room. Speakers must be musically capable and be good for female vocals

British, Canadian, American--I'm open to anything as long as they are not cheap or ugly looking. Piano black finishes would be a big plus.

Thanks!! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 01:59 PM

Liked: 10
These sound great, and are well under your budget. And, they are available in gloss black:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/543514326/energy-v-mini-w-bracket

"Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
post #3 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

post #4 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 02:08 PM

I have read good things about all those speakers, but I have never heard them so I can't speak for them. But the Energy's sound fantastic (IMHO), are built well, and look gorgeous... smile.gif

"If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music." ~ Keith Richards
post #5 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 02:14 PM

I see you edited your original post, adding that they must be good for female vocals. As you may be able to tell by my avatar, I'm a huge fan of female singers, and a speakers ability to reproduce midrange frequencies and female vocals is most important to me, and the Energy's excel at it (again IMHO).

post #6 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick88 View Post

I see you edited your original post, adding that they must be good for female vocals. As you may be able to tell by my avatar, I'm a huge fan of female singers, and a speakers ability to reproduce mirange frequencies and female vocals is most important to me, and the Energy's excel at it (again IMHO).

I like the overall design, just not the white contrasting the black. Are these speakers neutral, and how would music from Suzanne Vega and Tori Amos sound for example?

Are these better than the Soundstick IIIs from Harmon Kardon?
post #7 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 04:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 477
Are you still riding on a merry-go-round?smile.gif

The NHT Super Zero's are nice - however, I would go for the Absolute Zero's.
http://www.nhthifi.com/Absolute-Zero-Black?sc=12&category=3772

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PAR-200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #8 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 PM

Actually they are gloss black and silver (aluminum). I do consider them pretty neutral sounding, and I like the way both of those gals sound through them. I find that the Energy RC Series resolve a ton of detail in recordings, without sounding harsh. As a big time lover of female vocalists, many of them can sound bright or harsh with the wrong speakers, but not the Energys. I actually own the RC Mini's bigger brothers, the RC-10's. But I have heard the RC Minis before, and they are excellent little monitors, and they should be much better than the HK's. Just curious, what amp would you be running them with?

Edit: Actually the link I posted is for the newer V-Mini, not the RC-Mini. They are excellent as well.

post #9 of 17 Old 07-28-2012, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Do the speakers look like this in person?

http://www.audiocenter.ee/static/600x600//upload/products/Energy/V-Mini/veritas-v-mini-system.jpg

If so, that's pretty sweet, and I think I'll pick up a pair to compare with the Cambridge Minx speakers I have.

EDIT: Rick88, can you recommend me some nice skinny, small-footprint stands to go with these Energys (hopefully similar to Cambridge's piano bezel stands that go with their Minx speakers)?
post #10 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 11:17 AM

Liked: 11

I second the Ascend HTM-200's. Just got a pair of these and it's shocking how much detail they provide in such a small package. They're just $298/pr, which means you could buy two sets and go 9.1 wink.gif
post #11 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by soran123 View Post

I second the Ascend HTM-200's. Just got a pair of these and it's shocking how much detail they provide in such a small package. They're just $298/pr, which means you could buy two sets and go 9.1 wink.gif

Do you use your HTM 200's as surround or just in a 2.0/2.1 setup?

I kinda like the look of the HTM 200's, but it's slightly "too big" for my room. I am however, leaning more towards Rick88's earlier suggestion with the Energy V Minis. The woofers are apparently kevlar, which B&W 600 series bookshelves use, so that's got me intrigued (I heard Kevlar was great for that). These bookshelves are also pretty small, being only 4.75" wide and 7" tall.

Does Vann's ship to Canada or just within the USA?
post #12 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 1500
fwiw, cambridge audio s-30 's 9" tall 6.3" wide 8" deep great for music and great midrange for vocals and pretty good bass very well rounded speaker for its price $220 -audioadvisor

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #13 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

I listened to the Cambridge S30's before and liked them but ended up not getting them.

I noticed the HTM200 comes in pearl white as an option, and this speaker is looking more and more desirable. The Energy V's unfortunately are out of the question, only because I can't find a place that sells them new, and ships to Canada. Everywhere else is asking $200 for ONE speaker so I'm not going to do that.

Is the Ascend HTM200 SE good musically, especially for female vocals? I think I will get this in semi gloss pearl white.
post #14 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 1500
fwiw, if your looking for gloss white and something that will go alot deeper in the low end and has great midrange also and are only $80 a piece are the boston acoustic a25's at accessoriess4less. they maybe just a tad larger but for the money well worth it just my 2 cents

i'm so laid back,i'm laid out
post #15 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smasher50 View Post

fwiw, if your looking for gloss white and something that will go alot deeper in the low end and has great midrange also and are only $80 a piece are the boston acoustic a25's at accessoriess4less. they maybe just a tad larger but for the money well worth it just my 2 cents
\

Hi, thanks for the recommendation, but I believe I have come across this earlier from a recommendation and will have to pass. I emailed AscendAcoustics and hope they can get back to me. I asked them if they do piano black for the custom paint job, but will have to await a response.
post #16 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I also recommend the energy rc-mini or v-mini.

vanns doesn't ship to Canada but canada online store ( futureshop ) always carry energy product

The energy v-mini are on sale right now till august 2.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/energy-energy-veritas-v-mini-bookshelf-speaker-vminib-vminib/10155145.aspx?path=ef7771d5c1b704e522123203f2a2215cen02
post #17 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Are you planning on placing these close to or against a wall? The sealed Ascend HTM-200 sounds great and works very well against a wall. I've heard it used, smack against a wall, for front channels for both music and movies and they offer a similar tonal balance to the larger CBM-170 (neutral, good imaging, non-fatiguing, properly detailed top end), but without the bass extension. I great alternative to micro speakers if it fits.
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page