Boston Acoustics Bookshelf Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers in combination with a Denon 1912 receiver. I saw the Boston Acoustics A 25. They have an impedance of 8 and a sensitivity of 89db.

Do you guys know if this is a good speakerset? (I'm on a tight budget)
Is this set also compatible with the Denon 1912?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 369
^^^^ Yes
However I would get the A26 speaker, for better bass response.

Speakers > MB Quart VS05, Boston VS260, Snell K7
Subwoofer > Mordaunt Short Aviano 7
Receiver > Tascam PA-R200, Pioneer VSX-30
post #3 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Liked: 14
There's not really a whole lot out there on reviews on the new "A-Series". it is Boston's so-called entry level but don't underextimate the "entry level" part. I'll take Boston's entry level over some mid-level speakers from others anyday. I had to replace a blown center channel from a older Boston Micro 90 series and did so with the A 225C. It's pretty solid, build quality good and so-far impressed. I also picked up the new ASW250 sub and it's been really surprising for movies and music. I'm still running with Boston Micro 90x as my mains and they're still producing excellent sound. So I won't be getting the A25's which I'd like to get. Here is a review of the A25's from Stereophile that's a good read...

http://www.stereophile.com/content/boston-acoustics-25-loudspeaker
post #4 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 239
The A26 speaker is good, but the Boston Classic CS26 speaker is even better IMO and less money ($150 each).

The A25 does not not have enough bass to use without a subwoofer.

If you could spend $399 for a pair of speakers, the KEF iQ30 speakers are marked down from $600 and would be a good investment; very very good speakers. for the money! See the KEF Direct website.
post #5 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, it's well known that the A26 have better bass response?

That review is mostly about music quality. Do you also know something about the movie quality? Most of the time I will watch movies. Eventually I want to add a sub, but not just yet.

And these are indeed compatible with the Denon 1912? Because the impedance from this receiver is starting at 6ohms, that is not a problem?
post #6 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

No problem.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

And the Boston Classic CS26 speakers do have enough bass? What's the sound like when watching movies? Because these speakers are for home theater.

These are also compatible with the Denon 1912?

Do you also have a review? I can't find any.
post #8 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

The CS26 has good bass for its size and price.

If you want quite a lot of bass, from a pair of bookshelf speakers, then the KEF iQ30 may be the best you will get for $400.

A pair of bookshelf speakers with an 8-inch driver like the Monitor Audio Silver RX-2 would be much better-sounding in every way and have a LOT more bass, but now you are talking $900.

For serious movie bass, you either need a subwoofer or some fairly large floorstanding speakers. Bookshelf speakers don't and won't.

Almost any pair of speakers will work fine with your receiver. The power limitations of the receiver will only be an issue when you start trying to power 5 speakers.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

I'm coming from just the TV speakers. This will be my first home theater setup. So I think The CS26 is a very good improvement. Don't you think?

The KEF is indeed too expensive, as well as the Monitor Audio.

Do you think the CS26 is a good speaker set to begin with? Most of the time it will be used when watching movies. It is also placed in a pretty small room. And eventually I want to expand with a sub, so I will get the bass later.

Okay, so with these speakers I don't have to worry about power limitations? Because the CS26 has a recommended receiver power of 10-150W and the RMS of the Denon 1912 is 90W? Will I get good audio quality with the speakers driving at just 90W?
post #10 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 347
You're never going to use 90W to drive your speakers, you're not going to max out the receiver. The 1912 has plenty of power to drive those CS26 speakers for your home theater enjoyment.

Afro GT
post #11 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noblegeek View Post

I'm coming from just the TV speakers. This will be my first home theater setup. So I think The CS26 is a very good improvement. Don't you think?

The CS26 is good for both Home Theater and Music - however if possible, I would still choose the A series over them.
The CS26 is still a nice speaker - your choice.

post #12 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Accessories4less has the A26 for $99. They use a 6.5" driver and 1" Kortec tweeter as the CS26. I think the build quality is better on the A26 with a heavier, deeper cabinet and also uses gold plated binding post instead of plastic on the CS26.

According to the Boston specs the frequency response is 51hz-25khz for the A26, 52hz-25khz for the CS26 so basically the same.

I think the A series actually looks better too with the glossy finish and rounded edges. the white looks very cool to me.

A26 white
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSA26WHA/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-A26-2-Way-6.5in-Bookshelf-Speaker-Each-Gloss-White/1.html

a26 black
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/BOSA26GB/BOSTON-ACOUSTICS-A26-2-Way-6.5in-Bookshelf-Speaker-Each-Gloss-Black/1.html

Boston A26 black.jpg 68k .jpg file
Boston A26 white.jpg 10k .jpg file
Boston CS26 black.jpg 78k .jpg file

Afro GT
post #13 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01 View Post

The CS26 is good for both Home Theater and Music - however if possible, I would still choose the A series over them.
The CS26 is still a nice speaker - your choice.

The A series only has a woofer diameter of 3.5" where as the CS26 has a diameter of 6.5". The CS26 has an impedance of 8 ohms and a sensitivity of 89db, the same as the A-series. It also has a bass reflex, which the A series doesn't have. Also, the A-series isn't magnetically shielded, which can be important in a small room.

Why would you choose the A series over the CS26? Is the sound quality better?
post #14 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

The A series only has a woofer diameter of 3.5" where as the CS26 has a diameter of 6.5". The CS26 has an impedance of 8 ohms and a sensitivity of 89db, the same as the A-series. It also has a bass reflex, which the A series doesn't have. Also, the A-series isn't magnetically shielded, which can be important in a small room.

What the heck are you talking about? The A26 has a 6.5" woofer. You obviously aren't reading the right specs. Are you comparing the A23 to the CS26? The A23 is the one with a 3.5" woofer.

A23 = 3.5" woofer
A25 = 5.25" woofer
A26= 6.5" woofer

CS23 = 3.5" woofer
CS26 = 6.5" woofer

straight from the Boston Acoustics website.
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/US/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatId=HomeAudio(BostonAcoustics_US)&CollId=ASeries(BostonAcoustics_US)&Pid=A26Bookshelf(BostonAcoustics)

Frequency Range (±3dB)
51Hz – 25kHz

Recommended Amplifier
10 – 150 watts

Sensitivity
89dB [SPL/2.8V at 1m]
Nominal Impedance
8 ohms

Crossover Frequency
2,400Hz

Woofers
6-1/2” (165mm) DCD ceramic/glass fiber polymer woofer

High-Frequency Driver
1” (25mm) Kortec Soft Dome
Dimensions (H x W x D)
13 x 8-1/4” x 10-7/16” (330 x 209 x 265mm)
Weight
13.7 lbs (6.21Kg)

Magnetically shielded speakers dont' matter anymore unless you still have an old CRT tube TV. You don't need shielding around flat panel TV's.

Afro GT
post #15 of 17 Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You missed the boat - look at it again.

You can buy the CS26 if you want to. Boston stepped up their design/engineering with the A series.
You do not need to worry about magnetic sheilding for a small room.

post #16 of 17 Old 07-30-2012, 02:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What the heck are you talking about? The A26 has a 6.5" woofer. You obviously aren't reading the right specs. Are you comparing the A23 to the CS26?

Yes, I'm indeed comparing those two, because I just saw that in Europe the A26 is a little bit too expensive. I'm sorry for the confusing.

So when it comes to the A23 or the CS26, which one should I pick? Personally, I tend more towards the CS26.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-11-2013, 05:05 PM

I ordered 3x Boston A26 as my left, center and right and would like to comment on my (somewhat positive) impressions. Hopefully, this will help people like me, who didn't get to listen to them locally before buying.

I hooked up a signal generator, but used my ears to judge relative perceived sound levels.

1. The speaker response is very flat. Sweeping through all audible frequencies, there are just a couple very minor resonances in the low mids. Across the cross-over and tweeter frequencies I cannot spot any resonance with my ears.
2. The bass starts to slowly decrease at about 70Hz to I assume half power at the 52Hz from the datasheet. Fortunately, further down the roll off isn't steep at all. The speakers are audible all the way down to 35Hz.. Curiously, there's a peak at 25Hz where you can actually hear it. Nothing at 30 though :/
3. Physically, they are much deeper than it appears on the pictures.
4. Qualitatively, sound clarity is good. While playing acoustic music, every instrument is clear and distinct.
5. Sound dispersion is very wide.

Now the not-so-good:

6. Bass is colored. Makes a double bass (contrabass) sound as if it has nylon strings. Boston claims good things with their polymer woofer, but to me it makes the sound more plastic.
7. The bass port is too narrow and generates audible noise.
8. Music just doesn't come out dramatic. Comparing to my previous (and admittedly 3x the size) speakers, the feeling of a real musician behind the speaker is lost.

When I first hooked them up, I had an interesting experience - I ran the Audyssey MultiEq and upon completing the wizzard it was disabled. When I reran the calibration - same thing. I went to the menu and after verifying the correct speaker distance I manually enabled it and I understood why it did not get enabled in the first place. It made almost no difference. Change was for the worse - the sound became more robotic with it. So there you go - you don't need Audyssey with these speakers if position well. (mine are on stands, 1 foot away from any wall).

System 1: Yamaha RX-V2500 + 4x Bose 501 Series IV
System 2: Marantz NR1402 + 3x Boston Acoustics CS26 Gen. 1
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page