SVS Speakers.. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hwy all looking to do a mild Upgrade to my system with Room Treatments and Speakers and new Rythmic sub..

Now I am limited on Cash flow so would like to keep a Budget minded as possible..To give you an idea I was looking at these SVS Speakers 5.0 kit:

http://www.svsound.com/speakers/s-series

Now I was wondering how they would match up against dare I mention them a Sony 5.0 system..Now they dont sound half bad but the Speakers do NOT have a crossover and I feel that greatly effects the performance and sound of my system..

These SVS Seem to be perfect. theyare relatively cheap within my Price range and have a pro made Crossover..

So any other suggestions for a 5.0 Speaker setup under $600??

my room is a Dedicated HT/Music Room 19'x12'x7' with a Drop ceiling and Gypsum walls..

Thnx for putting up with my Dumb questions.. but like I was always told is is Dumber NOT to Ask wink.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 239
The SVS speaker systems have front speakers that are too small for decent system performance. This is a problem with most HTIB setups.

I recommend that you get the JAMO S426HCS3 5.0 system and add a subwoofer. The JAMO setup goes for about $300 and you can get the Polk PSW505 subwoofer for around $250. That will perform far better than 98% of the HTIB systems.

The PSW505 is a much better subwoofer than the ones that come with any of the HTIB setups.

Of the HTIB systems available, I would recommend the Martin-Logan MLT-2 system which you can get for $450 or so and has somewhat better front speakers and subwoofer.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Do those Jamo's have a Crossover built in?? How would they match up to my Sony's speaker system I do have a Sub so I dont need that and currently looking to upgrading the sub as well to a Rhythmic..

post #4 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm not sure which "crossover" you mean. Each speaker box that has two drivers or more will normally have an internal crossover to separate the lows from the highs electronically. That is sort of like asking if a car comes with tires.

If you already have a subwoofer, then the JAMO 5.0 system is the perfect thing for you, and is only $300-400.

Rythmic makes some of the very best subwoofers, but of course they are a bit expensive.

One that is quite good and has been available recently for only $300-400 is the Klipsch RW12D.

Sony makes speakers costing $59, and they make speakers costing $27,000 per pair (the Sony SS-AR1). It might help to know exactly which model you have if we are to attempt a comparison.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

Hwy all looking to do a mild Upgrade to my system with Room Treatments and Speakers and new Rythmic sub..
Now I am limited on Cash flow so would like to keep a Budget minded as possible..To give you an idea I was looking at these SVS Speakers 5.0 kit:
http://www.svsound.com/speakers/s-series
Now I was wondering how they would match up against dare I mention them a Sony 5.0 system..Now they dont sound half bad but the Speakers do NOT have a crossover and I feel that greatly effects the performance and sound of my system..
These SVS Seem to be perfect. theyare relatively cheap within my Price range and have a pro made Crossover..
So any other suggestions for a 5.0 Speaker setup under $600??
my room is a Dedicated HT/Music Room 19'x12'x7' with a Drop ceiling and Gypsum walls..
Thnx for putting up with my Dumb questions.. but like I was always told is is Dumber NOT to Ask wink.gif

for under 500 shipped, the svs's are hard to beat. they are miles ahead of any sony htib systems. and the svs are not a htib setup like the other person was saying. get the scs02 for l/c/r and the sbs for surrounds and your good. My brother has the same exact setup with a hsu vtf3 with about the same room dimension as you so i can tell you first hand they are great for the price. big soundstage, very neutral sounding, and imaging is good. I dont recommend those jamo 426's. for some reason they do not sound good and are cheaply made. I would jump up to the jamo s606 for 399 at vann's. The only thing i dont like about the s606 is the center channel. it doesnt match up well with the towers since it uses smaller drivers so i just use my system as a 4.1. another good setup in your price would be 2 polk monitor 70's 2 monitor30 for surrounds and cs2 for center.
post #6 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes the Internal Crossover is what I am referring to and a better compoarison is if the Car has Air conditioner or not.. and my current Sony speakers do NOt have them.. wink.gif

The Sony models are as follows:

1. Mains - SS-MF600H..
2. Center - SS CN550H

These are NOT HTIB Speakers.. the mains are about 3.5' tall with 2 8" woofers but NO internal crossover and I feel that is the main thing lacking in my setup

post #7 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

The Sony SS-MF600H is a 3-way speaker.

It has TWO crossover networks inside each of the speakers.

Since it is a 3-way system, it has a crossover to separate the bass frequencies from the circuits connected to the other drivers and another crossover to limit the frequencies that go to the tweeter.

I have no idea why you think they don't exist; they most certainly DO!!! The speaker cannot function properly without them (for one thing, the tweeter would burn out in no time at all without a crossover to limit the frequencies that go to it...).
post #8 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

The Sony SS-MF600H is a 3-way speaker.
It has TWO crossover networks inside each of the speakers.
Since it is a 3-way system, it has a crossover to separate the bass from the circuits connected to the other speakers and another crossover to limit the frequencies that go to the tweeter.
I have no idea why you think they don't exist; they most certainly DO!!! The speaker cannot function properly without them.

Well if what I saw in the Speakers when I took them apart is called a crossover they did a Reall Crappy job designing that crossover as it was just a small filter..

OK then Ill just keep these speakers and goto Room Acoustic to tame it..

post #9 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

To replace the crossover (filter, if you wish...same thing...) that came with the speakers and make it work properly, you would have to have extensive data on the electrical characteristics of each driver and an extensive background in electronic filter design. It does not sound like you have either one.

In a cheap speaker like that, the tweeter "crossover" is probably nothing but a resistor and capacitor to limit the tweeter current and filter out the lower frequencies. It is still a crossover, even if it is a relatively simple one.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Nephilim1 View Post

Well if what I saw in the Speakers when I took them apart is called a crossover they did a Reall Crappy job designing that crossover as it was just a small filter..
OK then Ill just keep these speakers and goto Room Acoustic to tame it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman View Post

To replace the crossover (filter, if you wish...same thing...) that came with the speakers and make it work properly, you would have to have extensive data on the electrical characteristics of each driver and an extensive background in electronic filter design. It does not sound like you have either one.

ok thnx

post #11 of 12 Old 07-29-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I owned the SVS SCS-01 series for mains a one point and have since given them to my brother-in-law. IMHO, these are a steal for the money. They are a very neutral sounding speaker and play clean. They will be a noticeable upgrade to your Sony speakers, and I compared the SVS speakers directly to Polk rti series speakers that I owned and the SVS were superior in sound quality,

You will need a good subwoofer as the speakers are designed to roll-off at 80hz. These are an incredible deal for the money.
post #12 of 12 Old 07-30-2012, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have a full 7.1 SVS system since several years back ( first generation ), comprising:

* 03 X SCS - 01 for the front array;
* 04 X SBS - 01 for the S/SB duties;
* 01 X PB -10 ISG SW.

Bottom line: so far, so pretty darn good and I couldn't be happier with this little awesome setup, though cool.gif

Regards, Chuck
Hold on tight to your dreams - ELO
Reply Speakers

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page